Kelly Rowland says for an entire decade she felt like she lived in Beyonce's shadow

• Leader

kelly-beyonce.jpg.0ab9304c40f3c389d693838a30ec465d.jpg

Kelly Rowland opens up about her experience having to live up to Beyonce comparisons. 

"Can you imagine what it’s like being in a group with Beyoncé?," she said in a new interview. "I can’t wear this dress because they’re going to say it’s like B. Or I can’t have a song like that because it sounds too much like B. They’re gonna compare anyways. I would be lying if I said no, it’s never bothered me. That’s bull."

"There was a whole decade, if I am being completely honest, a decade, where it was like the elephant in the room. It was the thing that would constantly be on my shoulder," she added. 

I think it's pretty cool she's acknowledging what a hurdle that's been for her. Beyonce is clearly in a league of her own, and that's clearly been tough for Kelly as she continues to navigate her solo career.

Thoughts? 

Related:

• Love 3
  • Like 1

I guess this is the danger of being in one of the most successful girl groups ever. You will be compared to your past and former bandmates as a measure of success. You’ve just gotta make your own way, and Kelly has had success. I feel for her though, Beyoncé didn’t let up during the 00’s and it would be hard constantly being compared to/asked about Bey :tbh:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Work was a great song by Kelly as was Commander.

But is this new? No everyone else knew it, its just this time she has had the courage to say it, so GO KELLY! :clap:

Beyonce was always going to be the star, its what you get when her father managed the group. But Kelly is way more likeable than Beyonce, Beyonce now feels so....fake

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Barajas said:

Well...  because Beyonces is muuuch more taleneted than her in both singing and dancing , they just cannot be compared.

To be fair, Kelly has achieved two EXTREMELY popular collab hits in 2000´s and 2010´s, she has done well :yesokay:

Kelly is the better dancer but Bey has it on lock in every other area. Kelly still deserved more success though. Though she had some hits (Dilemma and Motivation). The reason why her career "flopped" is for a mixture of reasons: Lack of a consistent sound, not being consistent, not enough industry backing, and colorism.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Deyonce said:

Kelly is the better dancer but Bey has it on lock in every other area. Kelly still deserved more success though. Though she had some hits (Dilemma and Motivation). The reason why her career "flopped" is for a mixture of reasons: Lack of a consistent sound, not being consistent, not enough industry backing, and colorism.

fire love GIF by Esen Demirci

Kelly at least tried on her own.. 

Beyonce married Jay Z despite him being a convicted stabber and former crack dealer because she knew how far she would get with his money, power and influence. And up to this day, even being cheated on and being herself so important, she won’t let go.. Such an empowering and feminist message to all her thirsty fans!

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block