What really happened at the Vma 2016 performance?

MarcMarc2231

49 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, ultimately, as Larry would say, it just didn't work. Radio stations rapidly dropped MM and refused to play it, even when that executive kept begging them to play the song, with its updated and super innovative MM&I mashup. I wish that executive had tried that hard with Slumber Party or any other song from Glory.

I just think it was sad that an artist of the caliber of Britney, with her catalogue of hits, had to be reduced to perform the hit of the moment by some newcomers like Bebe Rexha and G-Eazy (despite the whole awkwardness of Bebe Rexha being in the audience watching her hit being performed by someone else at the VMA's). Not because it's derogatory or something, but it's like, c'mon. She had just released an album with 17 or 18 more tracks besides MM. She could've even performed any other of her past hits that have never been performed at the VMA's: WB, Toxic, Womanizer, Circus, BTI, POM, TTWE, IWG, S&S, I mean, the possibilities were endless. But the fact they decided it was better for her to perform someone else's hit instead of any of her songs, it's like, having zero trust that her record had some hit potential.

I agree that any song sounds better with Britney's voice. But the fans of that song, will always prefer Bebe's version. And us, Britney fans, honestly didn't need it. 

Now, they could've taken advantage of this, and do the full commitment. What I mean is, just like they sent that mashup to radio, they should've officially released it as a single, and make a new video for it to make up for the mess of the MM video. THAT would've been nice and smart, but too much for this reality. 

The only people who think that way are on these forums. No one else takes it that seriously. Also, why would she perform a random past hit alongside her new lead? At least MM&I was recent. And she absolutely needs all the attention she can get (music wise). It all makes sense. I agree that she could have also done additional songs from the new album, that’s why I suggested an intro. I imagine it would be while she was still behind the screen and they could have played with that more. 

Sending the remix to radio was awkward though. But radio isn’t going to play anything Britney anymore than they Played SP or Make Me (outside of a big feature or radio deal). 

I know we don’t all like things this way but she’s put herself into this situation and getting nice features and attaching yourself to hits by other artist are smart ways to get your name back out there. The problem is however that Britney and/or her team always find a way to mess it up or the features are just awful. 

PS: love your username! Excited for S&S?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stateofgracebritney said:

Maybe she recorded the vocals to rehearse, have you ever thought about that :beynah:

Isn't it easier to actually sing it in the rehearsals if will sing live anyway? There's no logic in recording something she knew she wasn't gonna use, we all know our girl does the bare minimum, if she recorded those vocals it's because it was obviously planned to be that way. :yeaok:

She changed mics for aesthetics purposes only. Her part on MM&I was pre-recorded clear as day.  It wasn’t pre-recorded adlibs or backing vocals...it was a full on, pre-recorded verse.  I guess her taking time to walk over and get a new mic gave them time to have G-Easy solo on camera and without there being any choreography for her to do during her part, it gave her something to do with her hands.  Britney Spears has RELIGIOUSLY lip-synced 99-100% of her performances since 2008, with the obvious exception of pieces of YOK, STTA, and a VERY select few performances from TCSBS and FFT.  In no way, shape, or form was it intended to be live, nor should we expect live vocals in the future.

I honestly love this performance, and I watch it regularly. I liked the understated production, I liked the fluidity of her movements, the G-Eazy crotch grab :thirsty:, how they incorporated Britney into one of G’s hits...

However, MTV can never be forgiven for the shade of following her comeback performance with a 20min set by Beyoncé :ohi:

2 hours ago, MWLJ said:

The only people who think that way are on these forums. No one else takes it that seriously. Also, why would she perform a random past hit alongside her new lead? At least MM&I was recent. And she absolutely needs all the attention she can get (music wise). It all makes sense. I agree that she could have also done additional songs from the new album, that’s why I suggested an intro. I imagine it would be while she was still behind the screen and they could have played with that more. 

Sending the remix to radio was awkward though. But radio isn’t going to play anything Britney anymore than they Played SP or Make Me (outside of a big feature or radio deal). 

I know we don’t all like things this way but she’s put herself into this situation and getting nice features and attaching yourself to hits by other artist are smart ways to get your name back out there. The problem is however that Britney and/or her team always find a way to mess it up or the features are just awful. 

I just think that performing a past hit of hers isn't any more random than performing MM&I. There's no need for Britney, nor any other artist, to perform a current hit by another person. Like what is even the purpose of that. Can you imagine Beyoncé doing that instead of performing her own songs during her medley? Or I don't know, Selena Gomez or Taylor Swift? or Bebe Rexha performing a Britney song in what is supposed to be the chance to promote her own music.

It would've been different if she performed another random song, a classic, to pay tribute to someone else or I something like that. Or if G-Eazy planned to release a new version of his song (is his?) but this time featuring Britney instead of Bebe. I just think it's weird to go there and perform someone else's song, that is already a hit, like, trying to ride on the success of it, because your own song by itself isn't good enought to be a hit (while having the original performer of the song sitting in the audience). 

It's as if instead of Britney, Kylie Minogue would've gone to the VMA's and performed half of her song, mashed up with Oops! while Britney watched from the audience. :ehidk:

2 hours ago, MWLJ said:

PS: love your username! Excited for S&S?

Yes! I've been waiting for so long. 

I really expected to see an even bigger improvement in terms of graphics, but what we've seen in the trailer doesn't seem too impressive. I'm still excited anyway and hope they release more new Pokémon than in the past two generations.

I'm also sad that if Britney doesn't release B10's lead single this year, it'll be the first time in over 20 years that a new Pokémon generation doesn't come up (in America) the same year that a lead single of Britney. :crying1: 

She wasn't going to sing live. NEVER. She didn't even knew the My Myself & I lyrics, for God's sake!!! lol She just wanted to make us believe she was singning live.:well:

And the "new" mic looked better with the jacket :whatitellu: 

"She pointed the mic". That was part of the choreography. It wasn't a signal or something lol

• Super Mods
2 hours ago, BritintheZone said:

All we know for a fact was that the **** but bad G eazy wanted a kiss and queen Britney rejected him

tenor.gif?itemid=5931378

Gotta give them credit for inspiring Gaga and Bradley to give a “will they or will they not” vibe 

giphy.gif

Britney’s impact :yesplease:

17 hours ago, Paulino999 said:

even if she was supposed to sing live...

the performance for a comeback was a lame...

I totally disagree, if she were to do that elaborated entrance with Make Me and then grab the mic and sing live
it would mean so much to the GP, like she was really growing as a performer and showing she can both serve dancing and vocals.

But sadly she didn't sing live :nochillbrit:

17 minutes ago, Herumbra said:

I totally disagree, if she were to do that elaborated entrance with Make Me and then grab the mic and sing live
it would mean so much to the GP, like she was really growing as a performer and showing she can both serve dancing and vocals.

But sadly she didn't sing live :nochillbrit:

SHE isn't famous because of her singing ...

she is famous because of the way she used to perform...

but it would have been cool too, to see her sing live,,, 

but another missed opportunity...:bedtime:

Archived