What really happened at the Vma 2016 performance?

MarcMarc2231

Do you realise that there are rehearsals to every performance at such events and they always look the same as the actual performances? There is no way she sang this live at the rehearsal and then lipped the actual performance. Changing the mic was just a gimmick, Britney does not sing live so just deal with it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

She was never supposed to sing live a single word because she wouldn’t have pre-recorded those "Me, myself & I" vocals in first place :yeaok:

Think about it, why would she record the song in a studio if she was supposed to sing it live? Makes no sense. And the lipsync error you mention is because (sounds ironic at this point since she does playback 80% of the time) she's terrible at doing a proper lipsyncing, just that. :mhm:

Maybe she recorded the vocals to rehearse, have you ever thought about that :beynah:

3 minutes ago, Paulino999 said:

Yes if we see that from that point of view...

but. Imagine that stage presence.... with a. Amazing production ..

vma2016 would have been another iconic performance...

That's one of the 876226076254902178654 reasons Make Me was a terrible lead single choice. An uptempo track like Better, DYWCO or even Love Me Down would have helped her way better to score another great dynamic performance at the VMAs.

If Make Me could jump back from #51 to #17 on the billboard chart, Better could have easily reach the #1 given it was the most generic song from the album, plus assuming it would have had a high budget music video + such big exposure the vmas are. It was definitely a giant missed opportunity for her to be back in the gp's minds. :icant2:

Just repeating what's already been said --- but she never intended to sing live. The hand held mic was for theater. She messed up the lyrics and gave away the illusion, that's all. 

She looked incredible and her energy was great, singing MM&I live would taken the whole performance to another level. 

there's no way she was supposed to sing live, like, maybe in another universe

she wouldn't have recorded the song in the first place...

she failed the lyrics, because she doesn't know the song, simple as that. She's been failing to lipsync in the last few years and we have pointed it out already multiple times at the endless POM threads. It's especially noticeable in her newest songs (the ones from Glory that she performed)

You think the VMAs had any hand in this performance?

Britney decided to do what she's done since 2005; be mediocre.

The 'point at her hand' move was part of the choreo she did in every festival.

They recorded and tuned lead vocals. She even lipsynced them (very noticeably) wrong during MMI.

She used the same bland routine from Vegas.

She didn't speak.

She looked good.

That's it.

She did the exact same performance with G-Eazy in Vegas and it went exactly the same way.

And for the people saying when she uses a handheld she usually sings live... Maybe 16 years ago, but Perfume, Alien, DLMBTLTK and Everytime have been lipsynced into a handheld for her past 3 tours (with the odd, ODD exceptional adlibs under the track).

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

She looked incredible and her energy was great, singing MM&I live would taken the whole performance to another level. 

Performing one of her songs would've taken the whole performance to another level: DYWCO, If I'm Dancing, Better, Liar.

It's incredible that having an album full of tracks they had to pick a Bebe Rexha song only because of G-Eazy. He should've been just a guest to Britney performance, but he ended up being equally important. I mean, he could've done his rap to any other song of Britney's.

Beyoncé literally did a 78min medley of her album, Britney should've done the same for Glory. At least a 2-songs medley. 

The mic was just a term of endearment :ohi:

Most boring performance of her career, I’d even say unprofessional for the bad lip-syncing technique.

:ohi:

I’d rather watch the MM video than this cheap-*** performance.

G-eazy tried to save the mess by kissing her and she rejected him in his face. That would have been even worse but that part is so cringey.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, PokemonSpears said:

Performing one of her songs would've taken the whole performance to another level: DYWCO, If I'm Dancing, Better, Liar.

It's incredible that having an album full of tracks they had to pick a Bebe Rexha song only because of G-Eazy. He should've been just a guest to Britney performance, but he ended up being equally important. I mean, he could've done his rap to any other song of Britney's.

Beyoncé literally did a 78min medley of her album, Britney should've done the same for Glory. At least a 2-songs medley. 

I thought it was cool to see her take on the song, I liked it and thought the lyrics were a good fit for Britney. I'm sure having him on stage with her almost the whole time took some of the pressure away and made her more comfortable. I think paring them up was good marketing, just the roll-out was bad. G-Eazy had a lot of hype in '16, plus being involved with Bebe who is a whole new generation of Pop music meant more exposure for Britney.

It is what it is.

Maybe someday we'll get our own 78 min medley. 

Doubt any of it was ever intended to be live honestly. The performance was just fine and she looked amazing. It was more of a BBMA performance or some other show than it was a VMA performance. 

The only part that bothers me is the lipsync hiccup during Me, Myself and I. Some pre-recorded vocals would have also been nice, but the rest was nice to me. 

Had Make Me been the second single (dreaming about SP with Rihanna as the lead and performing together at the VMAs) and she saved this performance for the AMAs I think it would have been better received. 

Also I don’t see what’s wrong with her performing MM&I. The cover sounded great and it was a hit song, it draws attention. Anyone who comes across this performance of MM&I will first hear Make Me. It’s smart. 

I think they could have had an intro with 15 seconds of DYWCO or JLuvM first though. 

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Cappycorn87 said:

The song did not call for or need all that extra stuff 

Why is that hard for some of you to understand 

It went the way Britney wanted 

I don’t even wanna discuss with your delusional *** :rihit:

5 minutes ago, MWLJ said:

Also I don’t see what’s wrong with her performing MM&I. The cover sounded great and it was a hit song, it draws attention. Anyone who comes across this performance of MM&I will first hear Make Me. It’s smart. 

Well, ultimately, as Larry would say, it just didn't work. Radio stations rapidly dropped MM and refused to play it, even when that executive kept begging them to play the song, with its updated and super innovative MM&I mashup. I wish that executive had tried that hard with Slumber Party or any other song from Glory.

I just think it was sad that an artist of the caliber of Britney, with her catalogue of hits, had to be reduced to perform the hit of the moment by some newcomers like Bebe Rexha and G-Eazy (despite the whole awkwardness of Bebe Rexha being in the audience watching her hit being performed by someone else at the VMA's). Not because it's derogatory or something, but it's like, c'mon. She had just released an album with 17 or 18 more tracks besides MM. She could've even performed any other of her past hits that have never been performed at the VMA's: WB, Toxic, Womanizer, Circus, BTI, POM, TTWE, IWG, S&S, I mean, the possibilities were endless. But the fact they decided it was better for her to perform someone else's hit instead of any of her songs, it's like, having zero trust that her record had some hit potential.

I agree that any song sounds better with Britney's voice. But the fans of that song, will always prefer Bebe's version. And us, Britney fans, honestly didn't need it. 

Now, they could've taken advantage of this, and do the full commitment. What I mean is, just like they sent that mashup to radio, they should've officially released it as a single, and make a new video for it to make up for the mess of the MM video. THAT would've been nice and smart, but too much for this reality. 

3 hours ago, ClaudiaDC said:

when  she has the mic in her hand she often sings live. So I think she had to sing live! She also pointed the mic 

She did not, it was part of the choreo.

+ she didn't even know the words to the song so I doubt she'd have sung it live.

Archived