Would you take your partner's surname if you got married?

Slayer

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Would you take your partner's surname or would you keep your own if you got married?

I know it is considered the 'norm' in hetero***ual relationships, but what is your stance on the topic if you were to get married?

5bafb6781f00002e01231330-2.jpeg.ea16d189498e42a0f3983374d952fb6a.jpeg

I took my husbands name because I like the tradition. Additionally, we adopted so it feels nice for the 3 of us to have the same name.

• Love 3

I am a gay woman and when me and my wife got married she took my last name. So when we got our two children we all have the same family name. It is so nice and it makes it easier as a family. Very romantic to. We live in Stockholm Sweden so it is usual and is most of the time accepted. We also named our children with a different gender middle name that has now become legal in Sweden. So our daughter has a male middle name from grandpa and our son is named Madonna as a middle name. Sorry for not naming him Britney but if we get a third child it is a given. I like when love have the same name!

:nonono_britney_nope_head_shake:

• Love 5

I like the idea of one of us taking each other’s last name. It feels romantic and part of becoming “one” as you do in marriage. But the first names of me and my boyfriend don’t really go well with the other’s last name. :awkblink_britney_awkward_blinking:

Also, I think I’d rather take his name, but I don’t like the idea of “losing my identity” somewhat. I’d be happy if he took my name, but it kinda feels weird because I’m not close with my family anyways, so why would I want him to take on my family name?

After typing all this out, it’s looking like no name changes will be happening :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block