Is Dua Lipa the Katy Perry of nowadays?

I’ll explain. Dua started out making huge success with New Rules - a song that apparently doesn’t follow any trends and tries to be more contemporary. Following era she kept being popular with her album Future Nostalgia that kinda flows with 70s and 80s sounds. Very disco. And now entering the Radical Optimism with singles Houdini, Training Season and Illusion- oh let’s not forget her previous song for the also very hyped movie Barbie. These are all very disco, 70s too. Katy is most famous for her Teenage Dream era which I can put as a paralel to Dua’s Future Nostalgia, both very much accepted by the public. When Katy dropped Prism she continued to use her Teenage Dream pop formula. I see Dua kinda doing that too. Which makes this Radical Optimism era more like Prism - a subsequent era after a major popular album. Katy tried to innovate (she did) and be successful at the same time with her adventurous Witness - we all know how the album turned out. That makes me think: after this current era, how is Dua gonna handle her music? Will she try something completely new and commercially fail like Katy and then come back with the happy formula like Katy did in pandemic album Smile? What do you think?

Edited by Fita

I thought of this comparison too.  Made a huge commercial album of PURE pop but that formula wore then and people died of it. Teenage Dream was so huge and it slowly dwindled.  Dua's decline is happening really fast in comparison.  We'll see how the album does but based off these singles, its not looking good for the girl.

• Like 1

I don't agree. I think Dua has always put out an onslaught of bops before she came to more acclaim. She really won the affection of the public during the pandemic. She's been consistent. Whereas with Katy, she had hits here and there, but then had immediate vortex success with Teenage Dream with funnily enough an album that had better tracks for singles than the ones that were released ... and the albums after were decent, but not innovative since the release of Teenage Dream.

I get what you are saying about Radical Optimism.  It feels like a lukewarm version of Future Nostalgia. The entire album hasn't come out yet, so I'm reserving judgment until it's out. Either way, I don't think you can compare the quality of Future Nostalgia or even Radical Optimism to albums like Teenage Dream and Prism. Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed both albums, but that's like comparing Blackout with the Britney album ... and that's even a stretch cause that's how progressive and innovative Britney's album are .... cause comparing BOMT and Glory is damn near hard cause both are incredible in their own right. 

I think Dua has potential to reach Britney legacy status one day. Of course not as blooming as Britney personality wise.

Im loving this era it's very 90s techno dance pop. People overlooking this line they did with Britney album.

• Like 1

This constant comparing of female artists, over and over again.

Main difference between Katy and Dua is also that Katy has been always very dependent on certain type of gimmick, very camp, very over the top, Dua is not doing that.

However regarding this fake narative about Dua which became popular lately:

Dua so far released only 2 albums (both very successfull, No.1 and No.2 most streamed female albums) and Future Nostalgia was completely different from her debut.

So far all three singles from RO are sonically different from songs from FN, yes they are dance pop, but they use different production approach and completely different elements and more focus on acoustic instruments mixed with electronics.

People like to jump on a bandwagon of trolls and just repeat what they saw somewhere on some online forum from some unknown person and their subjective opinion, but if they actually took time to listen the songs and analise them sonically they would understand, but I also understand its easier to be a sheep and follow trends of an opinions.

Dua also decided not to be a show pony and dont go to every talkshow to parade herself for a promo, she also doesn't exploit her personal life to sell music like most of the female pop girls do these days.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

As much as I don’t like Katy as a person, she has something that Dua hasn’t. Pop magic. Britney had it, Christina had it, Missy Elliot had it, Madonna had it, Gaga had it, kesha had it, Rihanna had it. These newer stars just don’t have the pop girl vibe that they used to. Dua will become stale and blend in with every other song on the radio, just like she’s doing now 

8 hours ago, Pinky98 said:

As much as I don’t like Katy as a person, she has something that Dua hasn’t. Pop magic. Britney had it, Christina had it, Missy Elliot had it, Madonna had it, Gaga had it, kesha had it, Rihanna had it. These newer stars just don’t have the pop girl vibe that they used to. Dua will become stale and blend in with every other song on the radio, just like she’s doing now 

Dua is more for Gen Z than for us old hags :sipnstare_coffee_mug_tea_sipping_spilling_red:

16 hours ago, Fita said:

I’ll explain. Dua started out making huge success with New Rules - a song that apparently doesn’t follow any trends and tries to be more contemporary. Following era she kept being popular with her album Future Nostalgia that kinda flows with 70s and 80s sounds. Very disco. And now entering the Radical Optimism with singles Houdini, Training Season and Illusion- oh let’s not forget her previous song for the also very hyped movie Barbie. These are all very disco, 70s too. Katy is most famous for her Teenage Dream era which I can put as a paralel to Dua’s Future Nostalgia, both very much accepted by the public. When Katy dropped Prism she continued to use her Teenage Dream pop formula. I see Dua kinda doing that too. Which makes this Radical Optimism era more like Prism - a subsequent era after a major popular album. Katy tried to innovate (she did) and be successful at the same time with her adventurous Witness - we all know how the album turned out. That makes me think: after this current era, how is Dua gonna handle her music? Will she try something completely new and commercially fail like Katy and then come back with the happy formula like Katy did in pandemic album Smile? What do you think?

I explain- Katy, Dua, Ava are the same soulless pop products and none of them cant write the songs and they are just like walking cash grabbers for listeners Hope this helped you :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

13 hours ago, Wendy Williams said:

I explain- Katy, Dua, Ava are the same soulless pop products and none of them cant write the songs and they are just like walking cash grabbers for listeners Hope this helped you :whitney_houston_huh_oh_really_well_look_stare_welp:

How do you want to be taken seriously if you put Katy, Dua .... and Ava in the same category? No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

• Like 1

Interestingly, I thought to reply to this thread with a yes and no kind of answer(s).

YES. Dua and Katy are very similar in a way they have a very strong appeal to attract heterose+ual men. Dua is a man's kind of woman. Katy started off as that as well. I'm gay and I'm appealed by how womanly Dua is. Not a princess. Not a bimbo. 

NO. They are so different. Katy went clownish and exploded alo GaGa and went very gay mainstream. She became the ultimate gay icon with tons of sugary pop antics. Dua has NOT done that at all. Indeed, she is trying to dip her toes into the dancing thing and choreography and being se+y. It does feel forced... and not as fluid as Katy (who honestly really made my senses tingle at some point). 

Music wise, I'm glad Dua is so Europop. She is liked/loved for how she is evolving. Also, keeping away from hot topics (politics and ideologies) is working for the best. Katy tried and sadly failed... Then the more she tried to be "fun" she became a pain to watch (and burn). 

Their eras can't be compared. They're polar opposites. Katy is like "fetch" (stop trying to make it happen, it's not gonna happen) and Dua is a gem that has to continue to polish if she wants to shine beyond the present pop realm. Most acts nowadays are TikTok cash grabs but DL certainly has potential for success and industry longevity.

Edited by LadyMarco

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block