TAYLOR SWIFT IS A QUEEN

On 7/26/2020 at 11:06 PM, NotLouTaylor said:

She kinda looks like a squirrel, even post-2011 Britney is more entertaining to watch. 

When she tries to be fierce and charismatic she looks like a child trying to sing in front of their mirror in their bedroom.

Just my opinion tho.taylor-overrated.jpg.c18f6a87335ec3a34319326fa3989b7c.jpg

So mean :tifflmao:

I stanned Taylor for a moment in 2018, I don't even know why to be honest, but I listened to her whole discography and I see how you could both love or hate her. She and her music have a wholesomeness about them but they also give strong basic/vanilla energy all together. It's very obvious her career is mostly a business to her and she's in it to win it, which could make you feel either way.

I haven't listened to her new album yet...

Spoiler

"NotLouTaylor" :surejan:

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Baronesse said:

So mean :tifflmao:

I stanned Taylor for a moment in 2018, I don't even know why to be honest, but I listened to her whole discography and I see how you could both love or hate her. She and her music have a wholesomeness about them but they also give strong basic/vanilla energy all together. It's very obvious her career is mostly a business to her and she's in it to win it, which could make you feel either way.

I haven't listened to her new album yet...

Hide contents

"NotLouTaylor" :surejan:

Tbh the only album of her that i've been into was Reputation. Probably because it's the lesser Taylor-ish era she's ever done and i kinda wish she continued in that route even if it turned off a lot of people, i feel like that was the moment where she was the most interesting, both as an artist and as a person. But sadly she kinda reversed the whole situation and went back quickly to her old style. 

• Love 4
  • Like 1
Just now, NotLouTaylor said:

Tbh the only album of her that i've been into was Reputation. Probably because it's the lesser Taylor-ish era she's ever done and i kinda wish she continued in that route even if it turned off a lot of people, i feel like that was the moment where she was the most interesting, both as an artist and as a person. But sadly she kinda reversed the whole situation and went back quickly to her old style. 

Yeah, I feel that. Reputation and LWYMMD was what got me into her then, too. It was refreshing to see her have some flavor for a second. :spit:

• Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Super Mods

Normally I would agree but I respect her for putting out an album like Folklore. Sure it feels like she's pulling a JT "man of the woods" or Lady Gaga "Joanne" but she did it better so it shows she's more than just a pop sellout which I kinda felt she's been doing along with other controversies surrounding her, it just seems she's like a Regina of the pop world...despite that, I think she proved she does have artistic merits. 

Many people slammed Britney back then and called her an overrated singer yet she was able to make due with her own talents and have proven the naysayers wrong. I wouldn't call myself a swiftie but she's slowly winning me this era, I might go back to hating her again next year so who knows :awks:

• Love 6
  • Like 3

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but contrary to the image and following we see, I just don't find her relatable enough to really enjoy or appreciate her music.

Is she a talented? Sure

Is she a decent songwriter? Sure

Is she a decent singer? Sure

The girl knows how to deliver hits, but no matter how well written her songs are, they feel empty to me and that's partly because I just don't "believe" her when she sings. Taylor just doesn't come across as someone who has authentically been through the struggles and pain she writes and signs about which to me is a big part of the artistry. Nothing seems authentic and I can't seem to shake that at the end of the day she was always a privileged white girl, but I can't blame her. It'd be like Paris Hilton singing My Immortal, I mean would you buy it? 

In the end, I admire her for creating the empire she's built and while I'll listen to a song here and there, she just doesn't do it for me.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

You said it all, "because I'm French". 

Taylor Swift is not very popular outside of English-speaking countries in general, her charts are proving it.
In 2015, just before her era, my English teacher talked about Taylor Swift, and most people didn't have a clue about who she was. She said 'she's too American for European standards' :deserves:

Some may not understand, especially Americans, but another example is Shakira. She's hugely, hugely, hugely popular here. Anybody would say that Shakira is bigger than Taylor Swift (her songs getting billions of views) in Europe. And honestly I don't understand why she's flopping in the US. So Shakira in Europe is Taylor Swift in the US :pieceofwhat:

She is insanely overrated tbh, what the **** has she done to deserve that many Grammys? In which world is Taylor Swift more awarded than Aguilera, Carey & Houston combined?
- her songs aren't anything new or innovative/experimental

- her performing skills are insanely ****ty, she has no charisma on stage

- her singing skills are ok, but she isn't a singing act like Céline or Mariah...

- her eras/visuals are nothing new/innovative either

And her 'writing skills', like what the actual ****? You have tons of albums dealing with serious social issues, mental heath issues, or have deep meanings and messages, or even experimenting new kind of songs and sonorities making it more about the melody. I just can't believe that she is praised for writing when 90% of her discography is about her exes. *****, if you have a collection of men that disappointed you, don't you think that you're the problem? 

• Love 5
  • Like 4

I agree and no, it's not hate. People should stop thinking that not loving every single artist out there is hate.

I think Taylor is smart and I think she is a prolific songwriter. She has been smart enough to market herself in a way that allowed her to create a bond with people. Now, let's get real: a Freddie Mercury level writer/ virtuoso or Michael Jackson performer, or Whitney Houston singer she is not. As I mentioned in another topic, very good and solid indie records have been created by other female aartists and they were ignored. Suddenly, she comes out with a folk record and she is a genius? C'mon. I agree that the reinvention is refreshing, but she is not inventing the wheel. I can point out, at least, 4 singers whose songs are clearly influencing her sound. Is that bad? Not at all, but it is not groundbreaking either.

I think that, something that works on her favor, is that people kind of expect a dumb empty blond when you see her image and she is actually smart and well spoken. I think in her case, that is the shock factor, because honestly, her performances are well executed and planned, but far from amazing.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

I have to agree , she's a pretty girl but nothing about her performances or music is amazing , to me personally she's kinda boring, I can't really see the artistry in her music ........ And her music never made me feel any type of way , it's basically like "blehblahblahblah" , and there are quite many girls like her doing that stuff on social media but none of them got so famous and successful :girlwhat:

• Love 2
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, DonoDotto said:

Britney actually is a great, unique sounding singer.

Her voice is undeniably hers.

Taylor's voice could be any basic rando :walkoff:

Britney has/had charisma , energy , passion , a unique voice that only she can own , she also has way better pop songs , even the songs she wrote herself are better imo. 

2 hours ago, NotLouTaylor said:

I'd say technique and abilities are two different things. You can be a great singer yet not be able to transmit emotion. Whether Britney is a big vocalist or not doesn't really matter because she was never marketed as a vocalist, she was always seen as an entertainer. But i do think Britney has an interesting and unique/distinctive voice tone. You can instantly recognize her voice. Tone and vocal signature is way more important than having a big voice. 

Selena Gomez, in my honest opinion, has a very nice tone that's suitable for pop music. Sure, she can't actually hold a note on key to save her life, but with studio magic, she actually sounds really good. Demi Lovato, on the other hand, is technically miles more proficient as a vocalist but has a grating and loud tone that doesn't really work well on pop music, hence why she's not really as successful.

Same for Rihanna. Her technique is fairly poor but her unique, appealing tone can sell any song and it’s made her the hitmaker of her generation. Most people prefer Rihanna's voice over Beyoncé's. In this day and age, tone is way more important than skill. With technology like melodyne and autotune, it's easier than ever to fix a vocal that doesn't have the most accurate of pitch/length. There's no program to fix an ugly tone. 

Selena doesn't even sound good to me on the Studio versions she needs extra backup vocals and endless edits and voice engineering . 

Rihannais not the greatest singer but her tone is powerful and impressive , listen to songs like 'sledgehammer' or 'complicated' , and you'll understand what I mean ....  

• Love 4
On 7/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, NotLouTaylor said:

I just never got into her. I tried really hard to like her. I listened to 1989, Reputation, Red, I watched live performances, interviews.. 

She's pretty but has no charisma or stage presence IMO. She kinda looks like a squirrel, even post-2011 Britney is more entertaining to watch. 

Taylor's strength is supposedly her genius lyrical talent but to be honest I'm french and I don't care that much about lyrics, I care more about the vibe, the atmosphere, the aesthetic, I don't give a **** about lyrics.

If the beat is good, I like it. Taylor's music is really nothing special. 

Btw I'm from France and Taylor never had a hit or a big world tour here, I think french people have an issue with her.

It seems like she keeps winning awards, selling billions of tour tickets but I don't know anyone who listens to her irl.

She has no distinctive voice tone either.

When she tries to be fierce and charismatic she looks like a child trying to sing in front of their mirror in their bedroom.

PREACH SIS! She's Trash!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

I strongly disagree.... I understand that Taylor has a lot of haters, which is why I kinda believe she is underrated.... She creates a lot of timeless, quality music. She writes her own songs, along with songs for other artists, and plays multiple instruments. I'm surprised she's not popular in France, because when I was visiting Paris, I heard Look What You Made Me Do everywhere... I know she's really popular in Asia and English-speaking countries in Europe, and I know some people living in South America where they make it seem like she is really popular there as well. I think her music has strong country roots, which I'm pretty sure isn't so popular worldwide. But I think when she transitioned to pop, she became an international superstar. I know she doesn't have a voice like Whitney Houston, but I think she has a unique and pleasant voice that is all her own. And actually I think her songs are a lot more relatable than most of the pop stars, with a huge album collection, that mostly is timeless and listenable/cohesive from beginning to end. Her lyrics are beautiful and poetic, and she has the amazing ability to tell a story with her music. Please give Folklore a listen with an open mind, because it's beautiful and genuine. Here is a song of hers from 2012 that I believe shows her unique voice and style.

• Love 6
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
On 7/26/2020 at 11:06 PM, NotLouTaylor said:

I just never got into her. I tried really hard to like her. I listened to 1989, Reputation, Red, I watched live performances, interviews.. 

She's pretty but has no charisma or stage presence IMO. She kinda looks like a squirrel, even post-2011 Britney is more entertaining to watch. 

Taylor's strength is supposedly her genius lyrical talent but to be honest I'm french and I don't care that much about lyrics, I care more about the vibe, the atmosphere, the aesthetic, I don't give a **** about lyrics.

If the beat is good, I like it. Taylor's music is really nothing special. 

Btw I'm from France and Taylor never had a hit or a big world tour here, I think french people have an issue with her.

It seems like she keeps winning awards, selling billions of tour tickets but I don't know anyone who listens to her irl.

She has no distinctive voice tone either.

I can't with Taylor. There's something dark behind her, she's always in some kind of beef and I don't believe everything she says in her film for Netflix, plus her music is boring again... The most Overrated? Beyoncé says hello...

But thank you for your opinión. I think she is overrated as well.

• Love 2
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, Alxatc said:

I strongly disagree.... I understand that Taylor has a lot of haters, which is why I kinda believe she is underrated.... She creates a lot of timeless, quality music. She writes her own songs, along with songs for other artists, and plays multiple instruments. I'm surprised she's not popular in France, because when I was visiting Paris, I heard Look What You Made Me Do everywhere... I know she's really popular in Asia and English-speaking countries in Europe, and I know some people living in South America where they make it seem like she is really popular there as well. I think her music has strong country roots, which I'm pretty sure isn't so popular worldwide. But I think when she transitioned to pop, she became an international superstar. I know she doesn't have a voice like Whitney Houston, but I think she has a unique and pleasant voice that is all her own. And actually I think her songs are a lot more relatable than most of the pop stars, with a huge album collection, that mostly is timeless and listenable/cohesive from beginning to end. Her lyrics are beautiful and poetic, and she has the amazing ability to tell a story with her music. Please give Folklore a listen with an open mind, because it's beautiful and genuine. Her is a song of hers from 2012 that I believe shows her unique voice and style.

That was an enjoyable read. I love Taylor so much!

• Love 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block