Lady Gaga "Stupid Love" music video comment party

Jordan Miller

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I know I just scalped her so let me say this: what I do like about this is that I believe her when she says she loves everybody and wants world piece or whatever. This video has "Born This Way" vibes all over it, as well as that same beautiful heartfelt energy from her Super Bowl performance. As ridiculous as it may sound, I totally see her feeding 50 people in the mouth if she had to to spread love. So I guess her younger fans will appreciate this, because the world needs good energy right now.

ugh I wrote "world PIECE" instead of "world PEACE" hit me.

• Leader
3 hours ago, Stannedforever said:

:hiii:She's serving those early 2010s vibes with the song and video, YASS girl revive pop music pls :canthandleit:

This. I am SICK of seeing all these negative reviews already. This is one of the reasons I am burnt out from having BH act as a news site, writing articles, reviews etc. Just seems like most music review sites want to tear artists down. Don't wanna be a part of that :ririshade1:

3 hours ago, MrTrouble said:

I'm not crazy about the song, but the music video made me wonder if that might be the aesthetic pop music is going to have in the following decade, i.e. campy, ironically plastic and relying strongly on associations with the previous decades.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it's referencing the 80s vibe but sort of through a late 90s/early 00s filter. I'm thinking the ~1999 fascination with everything space-related when everything had to be shiny, metallic and colourful that we could even see in some of Britney's outfits:
Baby One More Time Tour | Baby One More Time Tour ...Britney Spears' Best Performance Outfits, Ranked | Glamour

This is pretty spot on! This fashion style has a name actually, it's called the Y2K aesthetic, it's getting bigger and bigger these days with the early 00s nostalgia. Tight leather trousers, silver eyeshadow, shiny clothing, Oakleys, gradients, blobby electronics… For a brief moment at the end of the 1990s and the start of the 2000s, it appears popular culture really did catch the millennium bug if the y2k aesthetic is anything to go by.

theres a whole blog dedicated to it on tumblr : 

https://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

https://www.instagram.com/y2kaesthetic/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/y2kaesthetic/

i vaguely remember that time, the angsty 1990s were behind us, the dotcom bubble was swelling and yet to come was the market bust and “war on terror”. y2k – the supposed turn-of-the-century bug that would bring our infrastructure to a terrifying halt – had failed to materialise and for a brief moment there was nothing but glittering utopian futurism and faith in a new age of boundless possibility. this brief moment was characterised by a distinct aesthetic period, encapsulating fashion, hardware design, music and furnishings shiny with tech optimism – sometimes literally.

Sounds like bonus track from "Born This Way". "Born This Way" is my fav Gaga's album, so it's not bad, I like the sound. At the same time, it feels like "I've already heard that, nothing new". I think worst thing I can say about the song is that's nothing new, nothing fresh, nothing surprising. Such Gaga's signature sound. 

Yes, it's catchy and pleasant to listen to. But maybe it would be better as 2nd or 3rd single. 

The video is fun, I like the acid sci-fi style. So Gaga. Maybe it would be better and more interesting with additional scenes at another location and with different costumes. After few watchings it may start to be a little boring, the same situation, same location, same costumes all the time.

I'm waiting for more. :)

1 hour ago, JordanMiller said:

This. I am SICK of seeing all these negative reviews already. This is one of the reasons I am burnt out from having BH act as a news site, writing articles, reviews etc. Just seems like most music review sites want to tear artists down. Don't wanna be a part of that :ririshade1:

I honestly think you've been doing a great job for years with the site, and your articles have always been excellent, but it's also true that nowadays we're getting more and more crappy stuff. And that needs to be pointed out too.
Since at least the last five years we've been FLOODED with new artists, who just by having a social media account they can reach the world and be seen and heard, plus the already established ones, who keep coming up with new albums and other products. And then add to all that this new worlwide mania by which we supposedly need to consume more and more, and faster. If you're a singer and don't release a catchy new tune every two months or a new album every year, you're "dead" to the general public. That's what Rihanna did for several years, and she burned herself down.
So that's what's happening now, and it results in artists basically HALF-ASSING. That's what Gaga just did. That's what JT's new song and video is, a mediocre attempt at anything. So they need to chill and start releasing stuff that they really believe in and are inspired by. They are not always perfect, so I won't always defend them. But when an artist comes with some cool, inspiring stuff, like Billie Eilish or Dua Lipa or Doja Cat, it needs to be celebrated. Lately, I'm either doing that, or beating them down with a baseball bat on the neck.

Oh and unfortunately "Glory" was also a part of this whole situation. It's a FANTASTIC album from an established artist who has matured over the years and polished her identity and sound... but then no one cares. The same is happening with Mariah Carey as of lately. And I hate that.

11 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

That's what Gaga just did. So they need to chill and start releasing stuff that they really believe in and are inspired by. 

Can I just say that just because you didn't like what they put out, it doesn't mean they didn't believe and feel inspired by their work. Gaga put her all in Artpop and really believed in it at the time, but it wasn't received well.

And your argument doesn't make sense with your Glory and Caution reference. It makes it hypocritical. Britney and Mariah ALSO believed in these records but they were dismissed and flopped. Why is Stupid Love any different? :yaknow:

Again, you can't make a judgment on an artist's beliefs and aspirations based on you not liking their work. :cutebrit:

11 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Can I just say that just because you didn't like what they put out, it doesn't mean they didn't believe and feel inspired by their work. Gaga put her all in Artpop and really believed in it at the time, but it wasn't received well.

And your argument doesn't make sense with your Glory and Caution reference. It makes it hypocritical. Britney and Mariah ALSO believed in these records but they were dismissed and flopped. Why is Stupid Love any different? :yaknow:

Again, you can't make a judgment on an artist's beliefs and aspirations based on you not liking their work. :cutebrit:

I think ARTPOP and Glory and Caution are amazing records, and I don't think those were criticized, they just didn't click as much with people because people didn't pay attention (because there's SO MUCH going on all the time!! so you gotta be a hardcore fan to pay attention now, or the album has got to be an unusual megasmash, which doesn't happen often, like with Ariana and TUN), not because they were half-assed. So I don't see any problem in my argument, maybe I didn't explain myself well.

Now about Gaga, of course she believes in what she just did, that's why she put it out even though when the song leaked a month ago most people were (and still are) underwhelmed. But maybe she felt like she needed to put something out, and that's what she already had. There's a reason why Selena Gomez pushed back her latest album so many times, or why Rihanna refused to release one years ago. They are not ready. And it's OK to not be ready and to not release something shitty. I truly think Gaga was not ready simply because she's released waaaaaay better stuff than this in the past, so this is her just joking or totally not in the right mood, I don't know. Not even the lyrics are any good. For example, and you're all going to drag me for this, but it's true and it's the best example I can give you now to explain myself: "Toxic" and "Breathe On Me" were never my favorite or top ten or whatever Britney songs, never, yet I can see why they are excellent and you all love it and she released or performed them. Well, in this case, "Stupid Love" is the opposite, a bad song and video, so I cannot see how she released this.

7 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

I think ARTPOP and Glory and Caution are amazing records, and I don't think those were criticized, they just didn't click as much with people because people didn't pay attention (because there's SO MUCH going on all the time!! so you gotta be a hardcore fan to pay attention now, or the album has got to be an unusual megasmash, which doesn't happen often, like with Ariana and TUN), not because they were half-assed. So I don't see any problem in my argument, maybe I didn't explain myself well.

Now about Gaga, of course she believes in what she just did, that's why she put it out even though when the song leaked a month ago most people were (and still are) underwhelmed. But maybe she felt like she needed to put something out, and that's what she already had. There's a reason why Selena Gomez pushed back her latest album so many times, or why Rihanna refused to release one years ago. They are not ready. And it's OK to not be ready and to not release something shitty. I truly think Gaga was not ready simply because she's released waaaaaay better stuff than this in the past, so this is her just joking or totally not in the right mood, I don't know. Not even the lyrics are any good. For example, and you're all going to drag me for this, but it's true and it's the best example I can give you now to explain myself: "Toxic" and "Breathe On Me" were never my favorite or top ten or whatever Britney songs, never, yet I can see why they are excellent and you all love it and she released or performed them. Well, in this case, "Stupid Love" is the opposite, a bad song and video, so I cannot see how she released this.

What? No. Artpop was HEAVILY criticized. In what world were you in that you think it wasn't criticized? No wonder you missed all of Mariah's albums. You were in Pluto. :bcutelaugh:Artpop didn't click because the GP didn't get it. Atleast 90% didn't. Fortunately for me, it did click. And that simply is where it all boils down to. Artpop wasn't even polarizing. It was really hated by the fandom and the GP. But she believed in it wholeheartedly that she even wanted to put out a Vol.2. So again, you can't make a judgment on an artist's beliefs and aspirations simply because you didn't like what they put out. We can agree to disagree about whether or not Stupid Love is a hit or miss. But I'm only pointing out that bit about an artist being inspired by their work. I work in the art industry and I know how artist's are very defensive and protective of their work - even if it's polarizing or not received well. I see it a lot that's why i can agree on you with Stupid Love's lackluster sound but not on the artist's connection to their work. ❤

Do i even have to discuss Crossroads to further my point? :whatitellu:

Archived