Why has Britney never claimed her position as a feminist?

Nando.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUmFdTHTD8M

Why You Need To Be A ***** | Tabatha Coffey | TEDxStLouisWomen

im watching this ted talk and the presenter talks about being a ***** and how you can turn the word around to claim your position as a successful business woman. I know in Gimme More britney doesnt call herself a ***** but instead is calling the "listener", but there are other instances in her songs where she claims that position of a powerful woman, like toy soldier (and the majority of blackout), or work *****. But it makes me wonder, why didnt she claim her position as a feminist ever?

her being an ally to the gays is very subtle and respectul, but her feminist message was one SHOUTED out there during most of her hits, yet she has never claimed that position. We can even say she backtracked a little in recent years but I want to hear from everyone what is their opinion on this and if you think Britney sees herself as a feminist.

here are some interesting links on the subject.

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/ywbw8v/britneys-blackout-feminist-pop-masterpiece

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/13/britney-spears-feminist-role-model

https://www.bustle.com/articles/180638-britney-spears-is-absolutely-a-feminist-issue

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's her personal choice.

But tbh Britney is one of the biggest feminist icons there is imo. 

Being a feminist means doing whatever you want to do regardless of your female gender, which Britney did.

I think her life speaks for itself.

I think she does express her feminist position not by using words or a polítical speech, she does it with actions, I remember seeing her Billboard magazine cover from 2016 and say: "women like Britney and Madonna have become these powerful pop stars with such huge accomplishments in life, and people think women are worthless" 

4 hours ago, Nando. said:

but there are other instances in her songs where she claims that position of a powerful woman, like toy soldier (and the majority of blackout), or work *****.

Do you really think she's chosen these songs for the feminism cause? her answer to all of them would be : " It's just a song ... you know "

I'm loving the response so far.. knowing (or assuming) this forum is full of gays that can't form their own political opinions but instead identify with any political ideology that's pushed on them just because of their minority status, I expected less.. :heresthetea:

you don't need to be a feminist to be a boss-*** bish.. if you can be a successful, powerful, strong, independent woman without a stupid movement backing you up, trust me, people are going to respect you way more than they otherwise would.. just like you don't have to be a feminist to support equality.. people can have opinions without participating in political movements.. :mj:

Because she's not an armpit hair grower . She does not post disguesting pictures of her bloody period pads . Is not fat ON PURPOSE . Is not a loner . She's not a victim who blames failure on the other gender . She does not see differences between men and women unlike feminists . She's not angry . She does not hate men . 

2000-2010  britney was the ultimate feminist icon when feminism actually fought for real equality . Past 2010 , where feminism stood for anger and division . She's anything but a feminist. 

Britney's never really tried to speak for anyone but herself. When asked about issues that could come under the umbrella of "feminism", she's had opinions that would probably now be considered extremely controversial because she's based her answers off her own experiences rather than trying to be a voice for other women. These days, she'd get slaughtered for that unfortunately.

Plus the whole feminism label and all the other labels people are using now are stupid and unnecessary anyway. It was relevant at one point in time, but now it's just ridiculous to give a label to being a decent human being. 

Archived