Rolling Stone ranks every Britney Spears song

This man’s taste is….a choice.

I do appreciate CWU’s placement tho.  The rest of BJ should follow suit. 

and did he SERIOUSLY say “Ooh Ooh Baby” didn’t fit in with Blackout!?  It’s one of the songs I feel BEST fits the vibe of the album (all of the songs do).

These types of lists will always whip people into a frenzy because everyone’s taste is different, so there will invariably be disagreements. Because of that, I won’t focus on each song’s individual ranking, but a few overall things I think worth mentioning.

1) About time Brit got her due! These lists are reserved for the revered and the influential, and it’s been a long time coming that she start getting the credit she deserves rather than to watch critics systematically overlook and diminish her contributions to pop music. That this list exists at all is a great thing!

2) This list is appropriately deferential to Blackout and In the Zone. Both have stood the test of time and remain immaculate pop albums, so it’s nice to see their songs so celebrated.

3) Femme Fatale also does fairly well on this list, which is refreshing to see! Maybe I’ve seen too many fans on this blog dragging it, and while it’s not quite in my own top 3 Britney albums, I feel the need to defend it left and right because it’s an excellent album. Yes, it’s rooted in EDM which is no longer in vogue, but it’s a cohesive work, has some excellent pop writing, and adds a healthy dose of innovation. Dismissing it because it’s an EDM album is like dismissing Off the Wall by Michael Jackson because it is a disco album.

4) While Rob is clearly a fan, he seems to undersell her writing throughout the article. Descriptions for “Let Me Be” and “I’m So Curious” mention the other writers but neglect to say that she also has writing credits. I hate that she’s undersold on her writing ability.

5) Not tons of love for the Britney era here. Which is a shame, because it’s my favorite “early” Britney album. It’s a little schizophrenic, straddling very different phases of her life and career, but it’s perfect in its contradictions and is wonderfully representative of a 19 year-old woman who is figuring herself out.

6) Rob is very liberal in his proclamations of musical rip-offs. (He About to Lose Me a Gwen Stefani rip? Really?). Most of them I don’t get. Although I am glad I’m not the only one who hears the Natalie Imbruglia influence in I Will Be There. But being of the same genre and similar sound is a far cry from plagiarism.

Like I said, it’s high time her catalogue was studied and appreciated by critics like this. Looking forward to more lists for us to argue over in the future :snapney_tongue_lick_snapchat_britney_funny_p:

• Love 2
9 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

These types of lists will always whip people into a frenzy because everyone’s taste is different, so there will invariably be disagreements. Because of that, I won’t focus on each song’s individual ranking, but a few overall things I think worth mentioning.

1) About time Brit got her due! These lists are reserved for the revered and the influential, and it’s been a long time coming that she start getting the credit she deserves rather than to watch critics systematically overlook and diminish her contributions to pop music. That this list exists at all is a great thing!

2) This list is appropriately deferential to Blackout and In the Zone. Both have stood the test of time and remain immaculate pop albums, so it’s nice to see their songs so celebrated.

3) Femme Fatale also does fairly well on this list, which is refreshing to see! Maybe I’ve seen too many fans on this blog dragging it, and while it’s not quite in my own top 3 Britney albums, I feel the need to defend it left and right because it’s an excellent album. Yes, it’s rooted in EDM which is no longer in vogue, but it’s a cohesive work, has some excellent pop writing, and adds a healthy dose of innovation. Dismissing it because it’s an EDM album is like dismissing Off the Wall by Michael Jackson because it is a disco album.

4) While Rob is clearly a fan, he seems to undersell her writing throughout the article. Descriptions for “Let Me Be” and “I’m So Curious” mention the other writers but neglect to say that she also has writing credits. I hate that she’s undersold on her writing ability.

5) Not tons of love for the Britney era here. Which is a shame, because it’s my favorite “early” Britney album. It’s a little schizophrenic, straddling very different phases of her life and career, but it’s perfect in its contradictions and is wonderfully representative of a 19 year-old woman who is figuring herself out.

6) Rob is very liberal in his proclamations of musical rip-offs. (He About to Lose Me a Gwen Stefani rip? Really?). Most of them I don’t get. Although I am glad I’m not the only one who hears the Natalie Imbruglia influence in I Will Be There. But being of the same genre and similar sound is a far cry from plagiarism.

Like I said, it’s high time her catalogue was studied and appreciated by critics like this. Looking forward to more lists for us to argue over in the future :snapney_tongue_lick_snapchat_britney_funny_p:

a legendary christmas preach GIF by NBC

9 hours ago, filmandstage13 said:

right, he said That's Where You Take Me is a Max song, but it's actually a Britney/Brian/Josh song... you know, the ones she generally wrote the lyrics and they the melody.

But Everytime in the Top 10 was a nod to her songwriting abilities. Wish Mona Lisa and Someday were higher, though.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

This list is a hot mess and actually repulsive. The only thing they got right was #170 and #1. Breathe On Me deserved Top 5. The abomination that is 3 in the TOP10!?!?! IWG in the top 10? Alien in the Top 25? The masterpieces that are I Run Away, DGKOMD and Let Me Be at #138, 136 and 135?  :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: POM over Gimme More? OVERPROTECTED at #77 meanwhile Clumsy is sitting at #76??????????????? Songs like WILTBM, Heart, I’ll Never Stop Loving You and Someday (IWU) are also way too low, especially when you have a lot of disposable FF, BJ and Glory songs sitting right above them. There’s so much more wrong with this list and beyond.

Do better, Rolling Stone. This is literally embarrassing for you.

This is the only accurate Top 10:

1. Toxic
2. Overprotected 
3. Breathe On Me
4. Oops!… I Did It Again
5. …Baby One More Time
6. Lonely
7. Gimme More
8. I’m a Slave 4 U 
9. Lucky
10. Stronger

Argue with the wall.

Finally, someone who appreciates Overprotected

belen esteban ball GIF by Mediaset España

• Love 2

Never should have done the list unless it's for clickbait and troll purposes. You'll never win and you'll never get it right, and if you try, you'll end up curled up in the corner sobbing and muttering the lyrics to Soda Pop. I just did my own top five favorite a few years back and broke my heart a few times in the process.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block