New York Times article: 'How Big is Taylor Swift?' (Britney included)

The New York Times has published an interesting -and fairly fun to read- article comparing Taylor Swift's popularity to similarly big superstars past and current. Britney is included alongside the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Beyoncé, and touring forces like Elton John and Bruce Springsteen, representing the 'pop star arc' metric. The newspaper compares Britney's cultural dominance in the 2000s, to Taylor's now.  

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

As big as the Beatles? Michael Jackson? Beyoncé? We crunched the numbers.

44 minutes ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

As usual, New York Times exploiting Britney’s name for profit and attention. :byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette:

I don’t think so. They barely mention her. The Beatles, Beyoncé, and other artists are discussed way more in depth. They’re just comparing things like sales and length of peak career.

I can’t stand Taylor and this article doesn’t interest me, but I don’t think they’re really using Britney.

47 minutes ago, NotBuyingIt said:

I don’t think so. They barely mention her. The Beatles, Beyoncé, and other artists are discussed way more in depth. They’re just comparing things like sales and length of peak career.

I can’t stand Taylor and this article doesn’t interest me, but I don’t think they’re really using Britney.

Yeah, guess I was mostly talking about that documentary. Everyone talks like it was a selfless act on their behalf, when really they were using her lowest points and the free Britney hype for their own gain. 

1 hour ago, 3Pney said:

im not gonna read it.

taylor can make as much money as she wants, she can sell 53430455 versions of 1 album but nothing is iconic or memorable about that girl's career or songs.

she is just a popular girl with good marketing strategy. I cannot think even 1 "iconic" performance by her at any music awards or shows even though im into pop music and follow pop music. I can hardly name 2-3 songs by her.

she doesnt have that impact on pop music as madonna, britney, mj or even xtina had. she is just good at selling stuff. nothing more. she didnt change the pop music history.

If You Say So Shrug GIF

This is it. Not a single lie was said. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 3Pney said:

im not gonna read it.

taylor can make as much money as she wants, she can sell 53430455 versions of 1 album but nothing is iconic or memorable about that girl's career or songs.

she is just a popular girl with good marketing strategy. I cannot think even 1 "iconic" performance by her at any music awards or shows even though im into pop music and follow pop music. I can hardly name 2-3 songs by her.

she doesnt have that impact on pop music as madonna, britney, mj or even xtina had. she is just good at selling stuff. nothing more. she didnt change the pop music history.

This.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 3Pney said:

im not gonna read it.

Well said.

Taylor is a great marketing strategist but her cultural impact pales in comparison to Britney’s during her prime. When little girls and boys want to dress up like Britney then and now, that’s another level.

Let’s also keep in mind Britney came out when she didn’t have the Internet and social media. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

Yeah, guess I was mostly talking about that documentary. Everyone talks like it was a selfless act on their behalf, when really they were using her lowest points and the free Britney hype for their own gain. 

Ahhhh ok yes, I see your point. Thanks for explaining - I agree with you on that.

• Love 1

This is either a PR'd article from the Taylor team themselves

or another article which tries to get on the Swifties' good side

they quietly bash the others, while putting Taylor on a pedestal
ignoring the facts that it was much harder to win Grammy awards, have high touring numbers, receive high critic scores

read only the Britney part, but they probably ignored the part where Taylor is a vanilla artist that takes NO risks
while comparing her to Madonna, who almost quit on several occasions because of hate towards her music expression, or even Britney - who Walked so Taylor can run with her music

• Like 1

She really has great numbers but we are in an era where bubbles are very restricted even if they are big. In Brazil 1 million people were in line for tickets for her shows, probably about 10 million people watched it but 230 million Brazilians probably had no idea that it was happening or who she was. There was a big repercussion because a fan died, so many people knew about it. In fact, nowadays any artist with millions invested in Spotify by the label can establish good numbers!

Madonna was in Brazil a few weeks ago and it was insane. Celebrities with stratospheric fame is another level.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.