Rolling Stone ranks every Britney Spears song

I'm only halfway through and this list is a f mess

In addition to the list itself being a mess, they claim That's Where You Take Me was produced by Max Martin :whitneyshade_whitney_Houston_mad_really_blink_seriously_hmm_umm_done:

They comment on Cosmic Radiance as her 'signature fragrance' in Perfume description, when everyone and their mamma knows it's Fantasy, wtf. Also Britney cannot wear Fantasy Twist, that's two fragrances in one! :whitneyshade_whitney_Houston_mad_really_blink_seriously_hmm_umm_done:

The description to Brightest Morning Star is from another song :whitneyshade_whitney_Houston_mad_really_blink_seriously_hmm_umm_done:

Get your sh !t together and do your research, Rolling Stone:ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black:

Edit:

They claim Britney co-wrote 'Girls and Boys' and wrote 'Not a Girl' :icant_toxic_britney_window_jump_fall:

I'm not even going to mention which songs are undeservingly #2 and #3, it's just not worth it

Edited by BoyDeChanel
  • Like 2

The list is a hot mess but I love the introduction of the article. I love when she's celebrated like this :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

All hail the pop queen: it’s Britney, *****. The legend. The innovator. The one and only Mrs. Oh My God That Britney’s Shameless. The woman who’s built up one of the all-time great pop songbooks, even as the world keeps trying to dismiss her as a fluke. It’s crazy how we’re nearly 25 years into the Britney Era, yet people still underrate her artistic impact, because they fixate on her image or her fashion. But of all the gifts Britney Spears has given this planet, it’s her music that comes first.

So let’s celebrate that music. And let’s break it down: all 170 Britney songs, counted from the bottom to the top. The hits. The obscurities. The flops. The deep cuts, B-sides, bonus tracks, covers, duets, loosies, soda commercials. Her club classics. Her radio jams. Her buried treasures. “E-Mail My Heart.” All of it. 

As Rolling Stone’s resident Britney expert since the TRL days, I’ve been writing raves about her brilliant music since “…Baby One More Time” was her only song. I got used to people telling me how wrong I was to praise her records to the skies—hell, Britney was one of those people. (How she laughed at me when I told her “Satisfaction” should be a single! Well, you called that one right, B.)

But she’s one of the most influential, innovative pop savants ever, with a massive impact on how music sounds now. It’s been a long-running kick to see her keep evolving, from MTV teen princess to Vegas diva to avant-disco pioneer. No matter how many times she gets written off as a joke, she always surges back, stronger than yesterday.

These days, people love to argue about Britney—her scandals, her controversies, her brave fight for independence. Yet it’s still so taboo to give her credit for her actual music, because people want to pretend she’s some kind of innocent bystander on her own hits. Sorry, but that’s just not credible, given the freakishly consistent sicker-than-the-remix excellence of her artistry. She’s always made the fizziest, splashiest, bestest pop tunes of the moment. I get why you might have issues with calling it “brilliance,” but I do not happen to share those issues—she’s on her own Mount Olympus of brilliance, and always has been. She deserves to be celebrated as one of history’s boldest pop visionaries, not just a case study in celebrity. 

We’ve seen so many pretenders to her throne come and go. We’ll see more of them. People keep waiting for Britney to be over. They can keep waiting. When people stop claiming Britney’s over, I guess that’ll mean she’s finally over. But they won’t. And she won’t be. So thank you for these songs, Britney Spears. And gimme more.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

QUESTIONABLE is the softest word for this ranking, here are a just few thoughts:

#155 Love Me Down... oh c'mon the production slaps

#148 Shadow... :whitneyshade_whitney_Houston_mad_really_blink_seriously_hmm_umm_done:

#145 Hold On Tight #144 Trip to your Heart... these two deserve lots better 

#133 Shattered Glass... and this is all they had to say: The cool thing about “Shattered Glass” is how Brit pronounces it “glaaay-yeee-aaas.” :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

#132 Just Luv Me... they need a quick check-up :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

#114 Hard to Forget Ya... urgent check-up, this is too high

#102 Gasoline... this banger deserves better

#100 Matches... :jeanluc_ashamed_embarrassed_hide_facepalm_meme: too high for this mediocre thing

#91 Inside Out... wtf

#90 Mmm Papi... mmm, Exhale is gonna puke as this is higher than many... I bop to it every once in a while :madance_madonna_dancing_party_bw_black_white:

#87 SMS... why is this trash also called Bangerz... she's nothing of the sorts

#85 Private Show... ámonos a la chingada de aquí :begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye::girlbye_walking_away_leave_get_out_leaving_chair_okay:

#62 And Then We Kiss... this masterpiece should be in the top 30

#43 Passenger... and y'all have to deal :kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

#40 Touch of My Hand... this is TOP 10 MATERIAL :leaving_tiffany_pollard_walk_away_leaving_bye_walking_out_pink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_bag:

#22 Criminal... :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching: wrong

Top 20 has some songs that truly deserve being there... others... :zoomzoom_britney_annoyed_irritated_blink:

But at least they got one right as acknowledging Toxic as her best song :miley_cyrus_stare_meme:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

I love How I Roll and I believe that it is one of her most musically interesting songs but number 3?! :nopingout_meme: I wanna go (aka generic electronic song number #221) being above some of her genuinely interesting songs like Stronger and Gimme More is just a big no. :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking: But Toxic is number 1 so I guess the list is redeemed :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Love 1

Touch of my hand (40) deserved way better. 

Do Somethin' top 40? hell no. 

Hold It Against Me (36) deserves top 20 at least. 

Me Against The Music (30)... maybe top 100.

Slave number 7? WTF. Top 50 probably.

I will admit I LOVE the top 5. Toxic, POM, How I Roll, BOMT, Lucky... great top 5 :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

And Then We Kiss 60 something... that's just a CRIME. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

This list is a hot mess and actually repulsive. The only thing they got right was #170 and #1. Breathe On Me deserved Top 5. The abomination that is 3 in the TOP10!?!?! IWG in the top 10? Alien in the Top 25? The masterpieces that are I Run Away, DGKOMD and Let Me Be at #138, 136 and 135?  :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: POM over Gimme More? OVERPROTECTED at #77 meanwhile Clumsy is sitting at #76??????????????? Songs like WILTBM, Heart, I’ll Never Stop Loving You and Someday (IWU) are also way too low, especially when you have a lot of disposable FF, BJ and Glory songs sitting right above them. There’s so much more wrong with this list and beyond.

Do better, Rolling Stone. This is literally embarrassing for you.

This is the only accurate Top 10:

1. Toxic
2. Overprotected 
3. Breathe On Me
4. Oops!… I Did It Again
5. …Baby One More Time
6. Lonely
7. Gimme More
8. I’m a Slave 4 U 
9. Lucky
10. Circus

Argue with the wall.

• Love 2

One of the weirdest production disasters in her entire catalog. For the first 90 seconds or so, “Now That I Found You” is a sparse love ballad, with subtle U2-style guitar, not far from what Taylor Swift did on “Tis the Damn Season.” So promising! Then somebody opens the wrong door and it turns into the fugliest ****** faux-Abba disco-polka jingle you’ve ever heard in your life. Britney deserves a do-over, not to mention an apology from the producers. 

:orangu_orangutan_ape: LMAO

• Haha 2

Oh I JUST KNEW How I Roll would be in the top 40.... but number three? Really? Why are critics so obsessed with this song? It's not bad, but it's just average to me. Femme Fatale has better songs imo.

Wasn't expecting 3 or Lucky in the top 10 either.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block