Britney On "Baby One More Time" 20th Anniversary: Your Support Means The World To Me

Jordan Miller

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Khoazie said:

In 1998, when BOMT debuted I was a chubby, painfully shy, and closeted gay 14 year old who was still unable to make sense of my sexuality. I had just moved across the States and was having a tough time adjusting to my new middle school, and my extreme social anxiety led me to isolate myself from my peers. I was that kid at lunch who would find some seat off to the side and eat alone. 

Shortly after starting at my new school, I met another shy classmate who became one of the three friends that I had at the time. We were both shy and introverts, and secretly in the closet. But we discovered Britney Spears and latched onto her from day one. Despite being closeted and not out to each other, we bonded over our love for Britney, lol. I remember when Crossroads came out, we both skipped school to go see it twice in theaters. 

Britney was our escape during those tough adolescent years. She was only a few years older than us, and it made us so happy to see such a vibrant, sweet, young girl sharing her gift with the world. I have so many special memories attached to the various points in her career. She is the soundtrack to my life growing up, and continues to be a presence in my adulthood. My love for Britney has evolved into something different and more meaningful today. I’m so grateful! 

:crying1: :sendinglove:

She's such a Queen! - I might not always be impressed with everything she does. However, a lot of that is management controlled which isn't her fault. She's an iconic legend, who changed the face of modern pop music and there will never be another pop legend like her. Her music is iconic, and deep down we all know we would never give up our stan cards! Most of us have been here since day one and she deserves our support until the very end.

Well, I don't have any deep story about it, it came out when I was in kindergarten. My siblings and I used to spend almost every day at my cousins' house. They were older than us, they around 11 - 14 years old. 

Thanks to them I grew up listenting to pop music, both in Spanish and English, and they would watch MTV all day, and so did we. We already knew things like Backstreet Boys or Spice Girls (plus Latin pop sensations from the 90's, like Fey, Shakira, Onda Vaselina, Kabah, etc) so it was always normal to me to listen to music. I thought it was just normal for kids my age to listen to music, but when I entered elementary school I learned I was basically the only one of my age that watched MTV or even knew who Britney Spears were, or Christina or Blink 182.

So anyway, when BOMT came out, as I've said before, I knew it through the videoclip and not from the radio. We always thought it was so cool, the song was super catchy even if I didn't even know Engish, she looked beautiful, and she was just the best from all the videos and songs we used to watch til that point. From that point onwards, she became our standard to measure how cool other songs or videos, or artists were. Britney was actually the last influence I got from my cousins, after that we kinda started to spend less and less time together 'cause they already were in high school and they always had lots of homeworks and stuff. But the legacy they left my siblings and I was the habit of watching MTV every day.

I remember when Sometimes video premiered, and it was just so cool. Then one of my neighbours bought the BOMT album (actually it was a cassette) and she used to "teach" us the choreographies from the videos and we would dance in the middle of the street (we obviously sucked) :embarrassed:  

So yeah, Britney since BOMT has been part of my life, basically my whole life. I have a few memories from when I was 3 - 4 years old, but she's existed in my life since I am me lol, and not just in the background as some kind of blur, but actually with me being conscious of who she is and her music and everything, and actually being her fan. I have only good memories from being a kid and watching her videos or interviews or performances. We then got the OIDIA album, it was acutally our first CD. Those were magical days in my life. I felt so proud and cooler than everybody else at school because I KNEW who Britney Spears was and they didn't. I was like "aaaw you don't know who she is? poor you :awww: " lol Years later, everyone in my class knew Britney Spears. 

And I hate to always bring this up (I'm lying, I LOVE it) but Pokémon became part of my life around the exact same time. Both things have been with me ever since, and I'm actually surprised that 20 years later I'm here, expecting to see Britney's new show and play the new Pokémon games. Not that I thought they weren't gonna last, but, it's just I never even imagined where would Britney, Pokémon and I be in 20 years. I feel very lucky, and I hope this never changes, at least for another 100 years :gimmemoar: 

2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Britney Humble Spears

Max Martin*: She was very well prepared. Since “…Baby One More Time” was the first song, we really didn’t know where to take it. We just kept on recording. We tried a couple of different styles. After a while, I could hear her stomach growl in the microphone. I asked if she was hungry. We’d been going for eight hours. She said, “No, I’m fine.” I said, “Let’s take a break,” and she had three burgers.

I keep telling you those two together are magic :lessons:

20 years of burgers :tysm:

Some artists honor the 20th anniversary of their first album by putting out a re-release with bonus tracks. Other artists put out a collectors’ edition on vinyl with bonus materials and demos. Some even do an entire tour dedicated to their anniversary.

Britney makes an Instagram post. Lol.

Edit: NEVERMIND, I SEE THEY DID A 20TH ANNIVERSARY RE-RELEASE.

Team Britney did something right for once :jj:

So many great articles talking about BOMT's 20th anniversary and its seismic impact on pop culture!  Us Weekly's Britney Spears’ Debut Single ‘…Baby One More Time’ Turns 20: How It Created a Pop Icon spoke with Nigel ****, the director of BOMT video.  There's an interesting part that caught my eye:

Throughout the shoot, Spears was “always ready to do another take,” according to the director.

“[She] impressed me a lot,” **** tells Us. “I subsequently worked with another young female artist who wanted to do a dance video, and she said she wanted to ‘out-Britney’ Britney, and I thought, ‘You’ll have to work very hard to do that.’ In the end, the other artist didn’t even come close.”

I wonder who could that be?  Anybody have a clue?

5 hours ago, Khoazie said:

20 f**king years. 20. Two decades. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this day would come so soon. :wontcry:

I did imagine a day like this but from an hypothetical perspective as if it was too far from happening and here we are, celebrating 2 decades. I feel like the first 10 years were so slow however the last 10 years from Womanizer to now went so fast, IDK why. 

Archived