Taylor Swift "Midnights" out now with 7 surprise bonus tracks, breaking streaming records on Spotify, Amazon, and Apple Music!

I reeeeally don't want to interfere with so many fans enjoying a whole new album by their fave but oh wow what a snoozefest... I am a real music fan after all, so here's my overall review.

Have you noticed that almost all the songs have this "structure" (it's not the right word, I can barely distinguish them from one another) of long organ-like notes in the background with a very light drumming rhythm and then her NON-STOP SINGING omg breathe, let the song breathe...

On that note, I'm finding her singing as of lately very annoying. She's basically breathy-talking from start to finish and she does.not.stop.mumbling. The lyrics are incredibly long and have no musicality... She just says what she wants to say without paying care to HOW EACH WORD SOUNDS LIKE... I know not every song verse has to rhyme but girl, your voice is your own musical instrument... I basically grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Elvis, Britney, and now I'm getting into Aretha and Billie Holiday... They make each word count. Every single one of them. And Taylor is a writer! So I'm honestly surprised at this take on her music. It's clear that she considers her lyrics the most important part of her music but paradoxically she's not giving them central stage by cramming ten pages from her diary into a three-minute song my gawd...... :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

I guess now she wants to be this "vibey singer", à la Lana Del Rey (don't even get me started on their collaboration, WHERE IS LANA). If that's her aim in these last few eras then she's definitely getting there, but I am NOT here for it.

Having said that... "Anti Hero" is a fantastically crafted song. The lyrics are impeccable (written by her alongside Antonoff). And I cannot believe how BRUTALLY HONEST she is there... My jaw literally dropped when I heard the lyrics. Like, it takes courage (and a lot of therapy) to be that honest, especially her being in the public eye. I guess this proves that she's obviously talented, and that she has something valuable to offer, and so I respect her, but I do NOT like the way she's heading musically, and I still find her very annoying in many respects, but I'll stop there so the fans can enjoy this release... I for sure am waiting for B10!!

2 hours ago, Puppy said:

At first I didn’t like it but it is a grower. I think it’s a fun record and her lyrics are so relatable. The only track I can’t seem to like is Midnight Rain. 

My top favorites are Anti Hero, Question, Lavender Haze, Mastermind.

Midnight Rain was one of the last that clicked for me, but now it's one of my favorites.

Also, check out the 3am edition. Some solid bonus tracks on there. My favorites are Would've Could've Should've, The Great War, and High Infidelity.

• Love 2

I was gutted upon first listen to the leak as really wanted something Folklore quality but now I’m bloody addicted. I don’t what’s her trick that people can’t get enough of her.
Midnights vinyl slays :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn:

Currently in love with Lavender Haze, Marron, Anti Hero, Vigilante, Bejeweled and Sweet Nothing :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

Slay me Taylor and take all my money I don’t mind at all :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I reeeeally don't want to interfere with so many fans enjoying a whole new album by their fave but oh wow what a snoozefest... I am a real music fan after all, so here's my overall review.

Have you noticed that almost all the songs have this "structure" (it's not the right word, I can barely distinguish them from one another) of long organ-like notes in the background with a very light drumming rhythm and then her NON-STOP SINGING omg breathe, let the song breathe...

On that note, I'm finding her singing as of lately very annoying. She's basically breathy-talking from start to finish and she does.not.stop.mumbling. The lyrics are incredibly long and have no musicality... She just says what she wants to say without paying care to HOW EACH WORD SOUNDS LIKE... I know not every song verse has to rhyme but girl, your voice is your own musical instrument... I basically grew up listening to Michael Jackson, Elvis, Britney, and now I'm getting into Aretha and Billie Holiday... They make each word count. Every single one of them. And Taylor is a writer! So I'm honestly surprised at this take on her music. It's clear that she considers her lyrics the most important part of her music but paradoxically she's not giving them central stage by cramming ten pages from her diary into a three-minute song my gawd...... :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

I guess now she wants to be this "vibey singer", à la Lana Del Rey (don't even get me started on their collaboration, WHERE IS LANA). If that's her aim in these last few eras then she's definitely getting there, but I am NOT here for it.

Having said that... "Anti Hero" is a fantastically crafted song. The lyrics are impeccable (written by her alongside Antonoff). And I cannot believe how BRUTALLY HONEST she is there... My jaw literally dropped when I heard the lyrics. Like, it takes courage (and a lot of therapy) to be that honest, especially her being in the public eye. I guess this proves that she's obviously talented, and that she has something valuable to offer, and so I respect her, but I do NOT like the way she's heading musically, and I still find her very annoying in many respects, but I'll stop there so the fans can enjoy this release... I for sure am waiting for B10!!

I think this is her attempt to be an aesthetic kind of singer... kind of Billie Eilish and Lana del Rey murmuring voice.

saying this, the album is okay, it's a mix of folklore and lover, yet nothing different... It actually feels like a continuation of Evermore.

the duet with Lana you can hear it, but most of the song them voices mixes and mermes together. In fact I recognized very well.

Anti Hero is a really good song, lyrically and musicaly speaking.

I think her songs turned very mature, which is fine and I like it, and I'm surprised the general public like it (at least in USA/UK cuz castellan speaking countries don't even register her)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, agustinmalandra said:

I think this is her attempt to be an aesthetic kind of singer... kind of Billie Eilish and Lana del Rey murmuring voice.

Yeah, I definitely got the same impression.

Oh and you're right, TS is NOTHING here in Latin America. I wish American fans would realize that so they get their shiz together. But Miley, for example? When Miley came here just a few months ago she was freaking ROYALTY. She really came in like a wrecking ball haha

• Super Mods
8 hours ago, Anti-Hero said:

Midnight Rain was one of the last that clicked for me, but now it's one of my favorites.

Also, check out the 3am edition. Some solid bonus tracks on there. My favorites are Would've Could've Should've, The Great War, and High Infidelity.

Maybe I do need give it a few more listens and yes I heard 3am version, agree those are bops, I do like Paris too! 

8 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

Really?? To me it's exactly the opposite, she's like "...and we were in Paris, drinking champagne, we missed the jet, you fell off your skis, lost that Louis bag..." mmmkaaayy........ :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

I mean its okay to not have deep lyrics in every single album. She had fun with it.

I think the biggest problem Taylor did is the way she promoted Midnights and the message she posted post-VMAs. She should have mentioned that this is a fun album, enjoyable lyrics, and nothing deep (except for 2-3 songs). 

24 minutes ago, MasterMindz said:

I mean its okay to not have deep lyrics in every single album. She had fun with it.

I think the biggest problem Taylor did is the way she promoted Midnights and the message she posted post-VMAs. She should have mentioned that this is a fun album, enjoyable lyrics, and nothing deep (except for 2-3 songs). 

I wouldn’t exactly call anything she has done a problem… she is literally ********* every possible record even still on day 3. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block