Thoughts on straight people playing LGBTQ+ characters?

actors are acting and should only be judged by the quality of their performance / acting - their ***ual orientation outside their role does not matter and should not matter to anyone.

this type of mentality creates division and segregation, and aren't we trying to be all treated equally? the best actor should get the role, period.

im extremely disturbed that this is indeed a topic;

• Like 4

I think that limits a lot what an actor can do then. Straight can only play straight roles, gay can only play gay roles. If they need a serial killer, then let's cast an actual serial killer, not an ACTOR that will just pretend to be a killer, because criminals have no representation in the industry.

A person that has to play a character that is exactly like they are in real life, same age, same ***ual orientation, same race, same voice, same hair, same name, same everything, that's not an actor anymore, that's just being them and reciting lines. An actor is supposed to be able to turn themselves into a completely different person, and make us believe they really are someone different than how we see them off camera.

People that bulk up for those super heroes movies, or that go to extreme diets to lose weight, or gain weight, or that shaved their heads, or whatever change they go under, shouldn't be allowed either, because they're taking away the roles from people that are already buffed, or that are already extremely thin, or that are already bald, etc.

Now, specifically about ***ual orientation, there's still people who are not comfortable with talking about it, so in a sense this would have to force people to come out whether they like it or not, because they need to have a "gay" sign on their foreheads to know which character they can be cast for and which ones they can't. "There is this gay character, but if you want to play it, you have to come out of the closet, or go away."

If you say people are not getting hired for other roles because they're gay, then that's what needs to be fixed.

• Like 4

As many have pointed out, your ***uality means JACK SH^T when it comes to being able to play a character aka acting. If only gay people can play gay characters than the same logic should apply to straight characters. Gays can’t play straight characters then. Lol. It just sounds utterly ridiculous and that’s because it is. Some AMAZING straight actors have played the title gay characters in media so well. Too many to name. Whoever is the best actor for the job gets the job. Period. Who you f^ck in your bedroom should make absolutely no difference. Your point of view is immature, juvenile and you need to get over yourself. 👌🏻

• Like 1

These are the kind of arguments that make me want to turn in my gay card. 

If straight ACTORS can’t audition for gay roles, then that door should swing both ways. 

Also, FICTIONAL CHARACTERS ARE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS. I can see where there’d be a problem with a historical gay figure being played by a straight actor, but silly romcoms and tv spots? Come on…. Move on. 

• Like 3

I think they should cast LGBT Character with LGBT people , there are plenty of LGBT actors etc who would love to do said roles.

Yet on the other end im a hypocrite because im ok with LGBT people playing straight roles simply because there are not many films with Gay/Queer Characters.

I don't care that much about queer baiting, but it's odd that Holywood have so few famous gay actors. I mean AT LEAST a good 60% of males in theater camp are guh guh guh GAY, gays tend to be more attracted to arts than straights, yet we have close to 0 representantion in Holywood, seems homophobic. 

And yeah, gay characters should be predominately be played by gay actors, there are good gay actors out there.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

Not you guys trying AGAIN cancel me for sharing my unproblematic opinion that literally doesn't hurt anyone :wendy_williams_bop_listen_music:

You represent everything that is wrong with people today. Trying to cancel people that aren't even problematic. I'm allowed to speak about it as I'm bi. 

No one cares if you’re bi. Zero relevancy. Your opinion isn’t problematic, it’s st^pid. There’s a difference. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block