People who can't separate the art from the artist are tiring

So tired of these people saying someone is problematic1!!111!!! or whatever

A painting or a song stands on it's own.
A very nice person might produce crap art, just listen to ARTPOP

Once a piece of art is born, it has a life of its own.
in the end, the art is not the artist. they are separable to me.
Times change, norms change, and people change, too.
if we threw out all art whose creators didn't fit current political standards or whose creators were problematic, we would have precious little left,

if you are going to listen to music with this mindset, you aren't going to listen to much things.cancelled.jpg.e5a3f07d3a65455609867ef9d55f5a54.jpg

• Love 6
  • Like 3

What about artists/actors/creators who do unspeakable crimes. Should we then still love their work and give their work acclaim? And shouldn't we hold our public figures accountable? I mean the everyday person faces consequences; why should famous people not. It just sets a low precedent for society. 

Is this thread in response to the Demi Lovato criticism as of late?

• Love 6
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

What about artists/actors/creators who do unspeakable crimes. Should we then still love their work and give their work acclaim? And shouldn't we hold our public figures accountable? I mean the everyday person faces consequences; why should famous people not. It just sets a low precedent for society.

Personally i think the entertainment industry is exploitative and abusive in nature, even if people choose to cancel someone's career, they will still support an entertainment system that is very harmful and evil to the artists who are part of it, we all know there is a lot of weird stuff going on in Hollywood with all these cults, rings, trafficking etc, If you spend money on entertainment, you're supporting the machine and everything around it :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 2
  • Like 4

I get both sides. I stopped listening so much music because of these reasons and it was fine for a while but I ended up missing a lot of albums that I really loved, which is really annoying. Now I’m making peace with some of the artists I liked but there are some others I just can’t listen again like R. Kelly. I’m sure I would have loved some of his work but I’m so repulsed by him. It’s really hard to draw the line. The best artists’ music shows the reflection of who they are as people, what they believe in and what they think. You can’t separate them completely especially if you want to connect deeper with them as a fan. I want to get into Prince but he was like really really religious :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, boyinthemirror said:

I get both sides. I stopped listening so much music because of these reasons and it was fine for a while but I ended up missing a lot of albums that I really loved, which is really annoying. Now I’m making peace with some of the artists I liked but there are some others I just can’t listen again like R. Kelly. I’m sure I would have loved some of his work but I’m so repulsed by him. It’s really hard to draw the line. The best artists’ music shows the reflection of who they are as people, what they believe in and what they think. You can’t separate them completely especially if you want to connect deeper with them as a fan. I want to get into Prince but he was like really really religious :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Prince's music didn't really change much..

Screwdriver, black sweat and other tracks proved he was still freaky, just not as explicit..

13 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Prince's music didn't really change much..

Screwdriver, black sweat and other tracks proved he was still freaky, just not as explicit..

I read somewhere that his music has always been repleted with religious symbolism despite not being very "in your face" so that's why I haven't dug in. So becoming a devout Jehovah witness didn't affect his music drastically? :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams: It's probably not an issue for most people but my first impression isn't the best (no offence).

1 hour ago, boyinthemirror said:

I agree, it also depends on how their personality ties into their work, and whether the things that make the artist unpleasant bleed into the work or not. some popstars and mainstream entertaining are kinda playing a character in their music and they rarely write/produce their own stuff all by themselves, it's more about fantasy than authencity in a lot of cases. Art and especially pop music has many collaborators, so you don't necessarily always get that direct influence etc

• Like 2

I don't like hypocrisy, especially when it comes from music artists. I'll never understand how someone like Prince who was a JW could make a career out of doing things that go against JW doctrine. The same applies to MJ, but at least in his case he left the religion eventually. I don't respect people who give up their morals and try to make excuses to justify their hypocrisy, though. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

I get the feeling that this topic is more about Demi though. In which case I barely see what she does as "art" anymore given that she's so inconsistent and seems to have lost the plot.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Stefani said:

I don't like hypocrisy, especially when it comes from music artists. I'll never understand how someone like Prince who was a JW could make a career out of doing things that go against JW doctrine. The same applies to MJ, but at least in his case he left the religion eventually. I don't respect people who give up their morals and try to make excuses to justify their hypocrisy, though. You can't have your cake and eat it too. 

I get the feeling that this topic is more about Demi though. In which case I barely see what she does as "art" anymore given that she's so inconsistent and seems to have lost the plot.

It wasn't particularly about Demi, i don't really listen to her except Cool for the summer which i liked back then

I was thinking of Lana Del Rey for example who recently got lot of backlash because she wore a mesh mask or whatever

I'm kinda confused about Prince wasn't he gay af? Seems like a weird combo, religious gay...

I think it depends on context. It can be idiotic, I agree or it can be a great tool to stop big, powerful bullies from continuing their bullying.  I am not pro cancel culture, because judging too soon is never wise. I am a fan of just not feeding off the monsters whenever it is possible to starve them, which is not everyday.

1 hour ago, Dreams said:

It wasn't particularly about Demi, i don't really listen to her except Cool for the summer which i liked back then

I was thinking of Lana Del Rey for example who recently got lot of backlash because she wore a mesh mask or whatever

I'm kinda confused about Prince wasn't he gay af? Seems like a weird combo, religious gay...

Prince wasn't gay. That's you being ignorant and stereotyping an artist. 

There are people you like, there are people you don't like. That's how world made.

There are some artist that I don't listen too, because I don't agree with they views. I see no problem in that, sorry. I'm not saying they are bad at what they do, I just don't "connect" with them. And that's OK, they have plenty of people who loves them.

At the same time, I have artist who I respect but don't like they art. 

Lately, I've learned one thing. If I discover new music that I like, I don't invest in artists personal life or social media. I don't want to loose love for they art because I find that I don't like them as people.

Well here's what I think about it, if you enjoy a problematic person's art , it's okay , but also at least don't praise it or give it so much credit and recognition because it isn't moral to support murderers, racists , rapists pedos and so on so I think as society we're doing the right thing by denouncing people who commit crimes and do horrible things , we shouldn't normalize things that hurt us , it's just beyond the limit, and when there are no limits there is nothing anymore . Limits are important and necessary. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block