People who can't separate the art from the artist are tiring

It’s more complicated than that.

Demi is a Karen, Halsey and Zara Larsson are snowflakes. But I would still listen to their songs even though I dislike them as people. Because to me their opinions regarding certain issues are trivial.  But if some artist is accused something serious I wouldn’t want to support them in any way that could benefit them financially.

• Like 1

I’m more tired of people trying to take away things from other people just because it triggers them or they don’t agree with it. 
let’s live and let live. Mind your own business and stop worrying about what I do and like. 
If you don’t agree with or dislike something, leave it. Don’t try to take it away from people that do. 

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 6:17 AM, boyinthemirror said:

I read somewhere that his music has always been repleted with religious symbolism despite not being very "in your face" so that's why I haven't dug in. So becoming a devout Jehovah witness didn't affect his music drastically? :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams: It's probably not an issue for most people but my first impression isn't the best (no offence).

*cries in raised as a jw*

some of us are normal! i swear!!

• Haha 1

I think that’s a bold statement to make. I get it. I don’t know what to think of Michael Jackson anymore. I believe victims, but only the ppl there know the truth. I think It’s one thing to still love/enjoy a piece of art you fell in love with with before controversy/truth. Like with MJ, I’ll never stop loving man in the mirror or dirty Diana, they’re songs I fell in love with before knowing/understanding the allegations against him. And I’ll always love those songs. But yo blindly support anything new from him/his estate seems just not right. Like I love a few Chris Brown songs from before he beat Rihanna, but knowing what I know now, I can’t support him, even if he makes a great song, I can’t support him and put aside what he did. And it’s one thing if I truly felt he regretted a mistake, but he’s done nothing in my eyes to show he regrets it and he’s grown 

10 hours ago, Setherface said:

I just think peoples reasons for canceling people are stupid. Like yeahhhh azealia banks has a lot of trash opinions on things and somehow that makes it so she can't have a music career even though her music is incredible but somehow chris brown is still racking up top ten hits after what he did to rihanna? Make it make sense 

Azelia's music is trash though:mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 2

I don't really understand this statement.

So if an artist promotes "Santanism", are you suggesting I separate that from the artist? lol. 

I know that some "artists" are like "entertainers". They are meant to convey a message or evoke an emotion. However, I'd like to think that an artist that decides to promote a certain angle, voice, or message etc... to a degree is reflecting a side of themselves. It isn't as black and white. There are definite grey areas when it comes to developing an image or reinvention, but I wouldn't say I'd separate the "image" (or public persona) from the real person. There are some elements there. 

This is assuming of course the person isn't fake. We have a lot of those in the entertainment industry.

if those artists have hurt someone (******, r***, supporting or justifying that kind of crimes etc), I think they shouldn't be supported in any way and I immediately stop listening to their music or watching their movies.even if I still want to listen to some of their songs, for example, it doesn't make me feel good.it only reminds me of the things they have done and I feel like such a ****ty person.even though I'm not sure the allegations about MJ are true, I feel bad while listening to his songs (I've tried doing it and I couldn't, even though he is dead).and I can't listen to nicki minaj knowing that she is a rap*** enabler and supporter.and I have some friends who are fans of hers and I can't stand their hypocrisy.normally they act woke, mindful, sensitive about some issues but apparently they are not.let alone still listening to her, they act like nothing happened and like she is such a nice person; that's what makes me sick.just because she is a famous rapper...

not stopping listening to their songs or watching their movies etc...OK.

but ignoring the **** they have done and still loving them as a person, talking highly of them etc...no.

3 hours ago, lili_ballet said:

*cries in raised as a jw*

some of us are normal! i swear!!

That’s very interesting! I don’t know much about Jehovah witness families but from what I was told it sounded kinda cult-ish, so hopefully you dealt with it just fine :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:  A classmate I had once was one and he was extremely nice. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

6 minutes ago, boyinthemirror said:

That’s very interesting! I don’t know much about Jehovah witness families but from what I was told it sounded kinda cult-ish, so hopefully you dealt with it just fine :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:  A classmate I had once was one and he was extremely nice. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

it really depends on the family... in my case my parents were never hardcore religious or anything, so it wasnt that different from any other religion

i never had to sing the national anthem at school so that was cool lol

• Like 1
On 4/27/2021 at 1:44 AM, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

Prince wasn't gay. That's you being ignorant and stereotyping an artist. 

On 4/27/2021 at 2:07 AM, Dreams said:

Lol please

Literally everyone thinks he's gay

Thats's part of his brand

On 4/27/2021 at 2:32 AM, Blackout2006 said:

He is straight tho.

On 4/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Prince was straight. There are definitely LGBT people who are religious though.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

Prince was never gay, he wore feminine fashions and created a female alter ego, but he was androgynous, but he still took the girl home, trust me..

Nothing gay about him, he was just a ***ual person and wasn't afraid to Express himself between both worlds..

Listen to his 1981 Song "controversy"

He asks you. 

"Am I straight or gay?"

There was rumors, but he was just poking fun at the rumors, nothing wrong with that.. he laughed it off, he didn't do it like most males do, he just played along with it, which was genius, especially at the most conservative decade. For ***ual expression and freedom, the 1980s..

It's been said that Prince was actually a homophobe/homophobic adjadlkfhaslfhs

https://www.google.com/search?q=prince+homophobic+&ei=-6qNYK2pCeyw5NoP-c2E2AU&oq=prince+homophobic+&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAxQAFgAYK8PaABwAHgAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEAqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjtktvxmqnwAhVsGFkFHfkmAVsQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

• Haha 1

If you want an interesting perspective on this read any interview with Tippi Hedren when she talks about Alfred Hitchcock. Then man ruined her career when she refused to bed him. Her take on this debate is a rather interesting one even though I know that this thread is mostly about music not film or tv.

Cancel culture is bad right now. Calling out and cancelling ppl. But for ppl  it can be hard to distinguish personality and creation especially then u face some1 doing bad stuff to u. Like some artist/singer/painter did smth bad-abused/killed or else but did create some great work. U still look at that accolades and u assosiate it with his personality. In  my mind i try to  understand that particular creation/work has nothing to do with some1s qualities as it can be product of god given gift. And u have to share and release that gift. Given gift doesn't mean ur personality shouldn't be critisized for awful things u do and ur creation shouldn't be admired if it is really beatiful piece of work. It is hard but i think it  makes more sense as world is not just black and white-it is complex.

It depends on what they do in their personal life. When they write songs there will always be a reflection of the person itself.
Like some posts earlier. You have to deal with Demi's personal life since she writes about that.
If you are racist you can hide it until you write a song and release it and then it shows who you really are.
Most of my faves are religious or were raised by that and at some point in their career they write a song about that too.
Look at Taylor Swift, she never wrote about her believes until 2019 when her mother got cancer and she "prayed to jesus too".

It's more about if you can relate to the art they make or not. I can't releate to stuff about God so I don't listen to the songs where he is mentioned that much.
Same with *****, if I can't relate to it I don't listen to the songs that much.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block