A pop star whose career you think is flopping and what should she/he do to rescue it?

9 minutes ago, TheySayImCrazy18 said:

Britney:  She Should Do Music That Is Really Well Produced And Make Bops.  Also ReInvent Her Image To Be Sensual Adult Woman, Not *** Kitten. 

Xtina: Release Good Music, Start Dancing Again, Actually Be A Pop Star, And Promote Her Music. 

Madonna: Stop Trying To Act Young, It Looks Desperate.  Instead Own Your Age And Slay The Game, And Of Course Release Dance Music Instead Of Her Crappy Trap Music We Have Gotten In The Past Few Years. 

Madonna is defining 62 her way. 

Obviously you don't know Madonna. Her whole entire career is built on breaking what Society expects of women..

Tell a person to act 62, who's never been 62, you don't find the ignorance in that comment. 

• Love 4
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Kanye west if I'm not mistaken actually does his own production. 

He has always stated. 

If you do all the work from production, composing and writing. You make all the money. 

Who do I wAnna share the kitchen with other people. 

Solo artists, has to be solo not a team

Nobody told prince he shouldn't do everything,  so don't even try Telling me to let an outsider in. 

for sure. maybe it's not even the production of his last few albums that I haven't really enjoyed, maybe more just the lyrics I feel aren't as clever and seem kind of lazy...there's just something missing. its way more experimental and I guess I'm just not feeling it. 

11 minutes ago, MX3 said:

for sure. maybe it's not even the production of his last few albums that I haven't really enjoyed, maybe more just the lyrics I feel aren't as clever and seem kind of lazy...there's just something missing. its way more experimental and I guess I'm just not feeling it. 

Since he Married Kim, his art sucked, he's been hung up on Taylor Swift, she let all that go in 2010, he only brought a lyric up and such. She had every right to defend herself and the Truth was on her side when the whole transcript leaked. .

I mean it's actually sad how one woman can turn a person. 

There's a reason why people say the get out movie explains Kardashians and black Men. 

• Like 2

Madonna: She needs to drop trying to act "young and hip" :grimace_judging_judge_squint_ew_gross_red_white_annoyed: She should honestly go what she did with Ray of light. It's the last Madonna album till COATD that I stanned. It was something so different. I want her to do something like that again. 

Britney: Do something unpredictable! Show the GP and critics who have undermined your career and legacy that you are THEE Britney Spears! The Princess of pop. She needs to do what she did with Blackout. We need another avant-disco album from her with a more lighter and personal aesthetic. :pleaseshhh_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_tell_talk_preach_pollard:

Ariana Grande:  LEAVE 👏 Trap-Pop👏In 2019! 👏. She needs to get out of her zone like she did with Sweetener and serve some real reinvention 

Justin Bieber: We NEED Purpose 2.0 :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Christina Aguilera: I dont....know. There is literally no saving point for her. 

• Love 5

Honestly the only popstar that is currently flopping in my opinion is Katy (all the others are undeperforming but it's normal since they're artists that have been around for a very long time like Mariah), in her case she should take a few months off, live her life and focus on her family, find inspiration for some new music and change her image and sound, the general public doesn't want 2010 electropop songs anymore, I think the following genres are a good option for her: Disco (since it's popular right now), Rock (I think she has the voice for it), Pop Rock (One Of The Boys was a good album and it had a lot of pop rock stuff) or Folk/Acoustic (It would be nice to hear her voice stripped back)

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Obviously you don't know Madonna. Her whole entire career is built on breaking what Society expects of women..

Tell a person to act 62, who's never been 62, you don't find the ignorance in that comment. 

I Love Madonna, Literally Stan Sooo Hard, So Don’t Tell Me I Don’t.  I Well Understand Her Career, And The Message She Spreads, Which Is Important.  All I’m Saying Is That She Is Forcing Herself Not To Age, If She Wants To Do That It’s Fine, But It Is Desperation In My Opinion.  Sorry Not Sorry, I Love Her But I’m Not Gonna Kiss Her *** 24/7. 

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Gaga, she should try something completely brand new, a whole new sound. She has the talent and I know she can deliver.

3 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Maybe a jazz album again, she won a lot of people when she dressed normal during the star is born..

My aunt said it best, she ditched the Halloween costumes and the make up and showed us the real person. She needs to stay that way. Cos she won me over and F the kids. They can't wear costumes at their jobs anyway. 

I'm sorry didn't Gaga just make VMA History, delivered some of the best visuals and music videos of the year a while ago? He career is very well, thanks anyways!

• Love 4
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Albert Aspera said:

Hmm, it's easier to dismiss an artist that you don't like genuinely, and overanalyzed those you look up to.

I don't know about you but I can see a lot of interesting videos on YouTube decoding Katy's music and career.

Btw, I've already seen this very same comment with one of my thread. Try something new, honey. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

1 hour ago, Spicechinodiva said:

I agree on the one dimension part, but to be fair, that's pop in general anyway, especially today. 

@Jordan Miller

@Roxxy

Anybody will tell you, one of the reasons why pop gets trashed by a lot of people, is exactly what you said. The lack of Depth and intelligence. 

Most like the genre cos it's a form of escapism, during the me too and time's up era lots of gays complained that the females got too political in their music and it made it hard to escape the world. 

They already know it's ish, they just want the music to escape. .

Now while Ariana is political, I see that her Music is different from what she does on her own platforms outside the recorded Side. That's why I think she's a success. 

She proved you can be political and still create the fun music your audience craves..

The others think they need to say something. The gays don't want that. Majority actually align with their political ideas anyway. 

They just want fun music. 

I also agree on the Dr. Luke statement as well. That's probably why she's flopping. 

I'm not saying that she's totally devoid of any depth, but apart from her catchy hits I have the impression that there's no active Katy Perry mythology, i'm not sure how to explain it, but for example, Madonna has made a few things that aren't music but still related to her the "madonna" mythology, like for example the "S-E-X" book.

Same for Gaga. Gaga has the meat dress, she has her crazy outfits, she has A Star Is Born/American Horror Story, those things make her exist even outside the world of pop music.

"Lady Gaga", the pop character/persona is still living and breathing even when she's not making music because she has created a certain lore / folklore that her fans are keeping alive.

Gaga's fans have written books about her, they've made shortfilms, they even made video games about her.

There's also something intriguing about madonna as a 'pop character', because even if you're not interested in her music, you still know what she's about. Katy Perry seems like she has no real identity anymore, she just goes with the flow, which is one of the reasons why she doesn't have a true fanbase imo. Her fanbase was the GP.

This is just my opinion tho and i'm not claiming to be an expert or something. I'm not saying those are facts.

3/4 Exhale will disagree but I don't think Beyoncé is really successful ever since BEYONCÉ (2014), and I really really wish she'd go back and deliver mainstream pop bops. I remember 'Drunk In Love' being a smash hit around here, and it simply didn't happen anymore after her 'activist' era, ever since Lemonade.

She's successful other ways nowadays and It doesn't really fit this thread but I really wished Rihanna to come back to music. I miss her a lot!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Mariah should just give us sultry R&B and ballads. 

Where were you when Caution, her most critically acclaimed album to date came out. She did just that on her 15th studio album. 

Bangerz like A No No, Stay long love you with Gunna, even the epic sass of GTFO, Caution and One Mo Gen (apparently a popular thing in the south for asking a second round of Dik after the first round just ended), plus the epic Giving me life with the epic outro. 

Abd the 🎹 ballad with MC playing the violin ending on Portrait. You were in 2018 when this epic Album came out .  

Missing in action that's what..

PREACH IT, BISH!! :ahhh_britney_scream_glory_excited_yay_pumped:

I LOVE that album! Killing it 15 records in! A queen!

1 hour ago, bliss said:

Honestly the only popstar that is currently flopping in my opinion is Katy (all the others are undeperforming but it's normal since they're artists that have been around for a very long time like Mariah), in her case she should take a few months off, live her life and focus on her family, find inspiration for some new music and change her image and sound, the general public doesn't want 2010 electropop songs anymore, I think the following genres are a good option for her: Disco (since it's popular right now), Rock (I think she has the voice for it), Pop Rock (One Of The Boys was a good album and it had a lot of pop rock stuff) or Folk/Acoustic (It would be nice to hear her voice stripped back)

Legacy acts like Mariah, Madonna, Janet can afford to sell between 125,000 to 250K.

It's like we all said, most of these acts today can't afford Longeitvity.

The pure sales acts came at the right time, cos radio had variety. 

Everybody had a different sound, style or image. 

. turn in the radio today, everybody sounds the same, to me, that's the Real problem. 

All pop music is the same today as they care about trends. 

It wasn't like that 20 years ago at all. 

7 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Legacy acts like Mariah, Madonna, Janet can afford to sell between 125,000 to 250K.

It's like we all said, most of these acts today can't afford Longeitvity.

The pure sales acts came at the right time, cos radio had variety. 

Everybody had a different sound, style or image. 

. turn in the radio today, everybody sounds the same, to me, that's the Real problem. 

All pop music is the same today as they care about trends. 

It wasn't like that 20 years ago at all. 

Well I wasn't alive 20 years ago so I have no idea how radio was back them but now it's just a 50/50 split between trap/hip hop and pop songs with disco influences (the new trend of 2020, which I actually like), there are artists that sound the same but I think people like Dua, Gaga, Ariana, The Weeknd, Doja Cat etc are different

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I agree that Katy Perry is the obvious flopping artist right now & honestly I don’t know what to do to help herself.  She released some solid music (NRO & Daisies) & still no love.   I’d like to see her return to a bit more grounded singer/songwriter vibes (like Thinking of You) but who knows.  

a lot of ppl mention Madonna & I agree she needs to stop trying to be young.  She needs to make original, forward thinking music & act like she’s the Queen instead of chasing after younger artists.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MX3 said:

Kanye west needs to work with good producers - it hurts my heart to say that cause that used to be him - and put out something more formulaic (not sure if thats even the word I'm looking for) and POLISHED with coherent rap verses and radio-friendly hooks. I literally sit and YEARN for his first three albums. I hate what he has become. Even before his first album, his production discography was incredible and now his last two or three albums are unlistenable drivel in comparison. 

I agree with you, although I have yet to listen to his first 2 albums in full. Don't kill me :embarrassed_britney_2007_red_hide_ashamed_cover: 

Graduation through TLOP = top tier. I used to listen to his music so much. Then ye and JIK and his tone-deafness, supporting Trump, running for president in such an important race, etc. all came. 

I empathize with his mental health struggles, but it's just so disappointing to see what him and his music have become.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

That wouldn't be cool, plus I guarantee if she went to the pop rock chick sound of her first album, everybody would be here again. 

Capitol made her go dance cos as all articles pointed out Lady Gaga changed everything back in 2009 and made dance music cool again on US mainstream Radio, despite being huge all over other continents it took a weird girl From new York to love dance pop again in the US. 

Totally.  After Miley’s performance of zombie, pop-rock is coming right back around.  There was something alive in that organic rock performance that I haven’t seen in these new artists in years.  If Katy made a bop like a classic Alanis song, with beautiful/ not-weird/ pleasant visuals, she would have a major revival.  People just want to feel free and lighthearted and uplifted again, and nothing does that like a guitar with some cool 90s drum loops.  Also she needs to fix her hair.

• Love 2
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

SO TRUE. Madonna has been killing it. Britney has also been staying relevant. 

Katy: Do a pop-rock album and go back to your roots next era. Doing pure pop clearly isn't working, so it's time for a change.

Xtina: Stop taking long-*** breaks and work with hit producers. Maybe stop oversinging on your records too. Reinvent yourself. 

Madonna: Stop chasing trends and releasing mediocre music and passing it off as "art". Also stop embarrassing yourself on Instagram.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block