A pop star whose career you think is flopping and what should she/he do to rescue it?

Madonna has lost her mojo since the mid to late 2000s. Don't get me wrong I adored Crave, but as others have said she should do more Ray Of Light style songs. Frozen and Power Of Goodbye are still incredible songs to this day. Miles Away and Ghosttown were closest to recapturing the mood I like from her. It's odd when a 60 year old is releasing dance tracks sorry not sorry. 

I was stoked for Janet's Made For Now follow up which insiders claimed would be a stunning return to form. Then Covid came. Booo. Hope Janet does have a strong comeback.

Mariah needs to ditch the slow boring RnB singles which all sound the same: I Don't, Infinity, With Love etc etc  It's time for her to return to 90s pop with songs like Always Be My Baby, Hero and Fantasy. She still has it in her to pen hits maybe it's the people she works with nowadays... Dupri is overated as hell. 

Avril should go down the P!nk route of having quirky funny songs mixed with deeper songs but with a rocky edge. Head Above Water was great but it was no I'm With You lbr. 

Katy needs to have a long break, bring up her kids and then in 2022 announce her inevitable Waking Up In Vegas residency. She has the hits to be a legacy artist but not sure if she'll ever have new hits following the last 2 albums.

Britney needs to win her freedom first and foremost. Then musically she should only have 1 ballad on her next record and work with the best producers rather than the cheapest (Glory vs Britney Jean - the difference was stunning.) Glory had great songs but the promo was a hot mess. 2 singles and only Make Me had any real promo - the MV debacle cost the song a top 10 spot in my opinion. 

On 10/29/2020 at 5:51 PM, bitbitboi said:

Tinashe.

And she should RELAX. And tone it down. And start singing her already incredible catalogue in jeans and a t-shirt and start impressing people with the lyrics and her vocals again.

Tina she needs to disappear from music and come out with a line of something and be very successful at it, and then come out dating someone very high profile and act like she is above music.  Then when people take note of how elitist and above the music industry she is, when she comes out with a banger people are gonna actually respect her. She needs to broaden her horizons because people do not respect her as an artist.  If she hosts a dance show or is a judge on a singing competition where it’s all about local urban artists or a niche that hasn’t been done before, she can reinvent herself.  But the public just couldn’t care less about her songs.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:51 PM, bitbitboi said:

Tinashe.

And she should RELAX. And tone it down. And start singing her already incredible catalogue in jeans and a t-shirt and start impressing people with the lyrics and her vocals again.

Tina she needs to disappear from music and come out with a line of something and be very successful at it, and then come out dating someone very high profile and act like she is above music.  Then when people take note of how elitist and above the music industry she is, when she comes out with a banger people are gonna actually respect her. She needs to broaden her horizons because people do not respect her as an artist.  If she hosts a dance show or is a judge on a singing competition where it’s all about local urban artists or a niche that hasn’t been done before, she can reinvent herself.  But the public just couldn’t care less about her songs.

7 minutes ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

Dude that's the exact opposite of what I said hahah, and I don't even know if you're being serious at this point...

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, NotLouTaylor said:

I mean, we should have known her fanbase wasn't that big when her movie that went to theaters pretty much bombed. It's crazy though because she was huge at one time. I'm guessing her fans just moved on or were never that dedicated to begin with. She never had a huge core fanbase and was largely successful due to the GP liking her music. Unfortunately many of the stans she did have left during the disappointing witness era and its associated tomfoolery which i can't really blame them for. Her fanbase was not big to beging with and then she alienated 75% of them during Witness so yeah all she has left are some pity stans and nostalgia fans. Even Barbz are stronger at this point. I find it so strange how her fans can't get her new songs to #1 on iTunes even if it's only for a hot minute when it's a 'dead platform' and even acts as Nicki Minaj in 2020 still manage to do it. This lack of loyalty/compromise as a fanbase, coming from someone who's been as big as her, is so bizarre. She got cocky and believed the GP isn't fickle. That was foolish of her and now she is where she is. 

There are certainly people who still follow her, but it doesn't seem to be a real movement, that will support her no matter what, as MJ fans, Madonna fans, or Gaga would do. All of the popstars had their underperformances BUT thanks to their fanbases they did not flop that hard, how come Katy Perry has a few amount of fans left WW that can't even keep her on the charts for 2-3 weeks ? Did she treated them badly that they turned their back on her ? is it the Obama joke ? the haircut ? the blond hair ? the migos endorsement ?

Her music was always aimed to soccer moms, teenagers and little kids in first which were her main demographic, they "used" her music, bought cds-songs, went to concerts, but they eventually grown up and moved on from her teen bubble gum pop, especially when it started to become out of fashion, her downfall is actually not surprising, especially when an artist doesn't have an artistic evolution or grown. But she mainly made music for kids (especially her visuals) so it's not surprising. Her stans were mostly children back in 2010 and after they grew up they realized it wasn't cool to stan Katy Perry. She never managed to build a big fanbase, she was the GP darling but once they ditched her out, she only got left with her fans and many of them didn't enjoy the new music so...

It's basically what happened to Avril Lavigne, she had a lot of kids that support her music when she was huge at the beginning then they dropped her growing up. This would have been Britney's fate but unlike Katy, Britney and her stans were teens and grew up with each other. Katy was in her 20's making teenage music...

Be a clown , be a clown, All the world loves a clown. Act the fool , play the calf, And you'll always have the last laugh .

Her movie bombed? Part Of Me: The Movie is the fifth highest music documentary movie of all time. Also, your own words are conflicting wether she HAS true fan base or less quantity of people who admired her.

Reply on me if you made up your mind, and btw your LONG thread is so boring that I only managed to read the first sentence. :zoomzoom_britney_annoyed_irritated_blink:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

Pfffff lmfao I wasn’t even going off what you said.  I just wanted to talk about tinashe and you brought her up. 

although I do agree with what you said.  I think she can do both.

Then next time don't quote me! :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

But you ARE right about the music industry being elitist. Beyoncé learned that and now she's playing the game. MJ used to do it. They become "elusive", and that's what eventually ends up making the brand bigger than what it really is.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2020 at 10:09 PM, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

Katy Perry needs a new sound with more tongue n cheek songs. 

I'd love for Ke$ha to play more fun upbeat pop songs again. Her second album was amazing. 

Lady Gaga needs to go back to being an enigma again with roots from her first album. I think she's done the whole spiritualism to death. I want more shock factor from a different angle. Get creative and switch it up. 

Madonna needs more songs about being "raw" and "human" again. When she does, she touches a vulnerable space within us that can connect us all together with her message. Pair it with uplifting beats. Her "*****" persona is kind of grating a bit. Although I loved how she toyed around with her persona, "Madame X" ... but it didn't really go anywhere. We didn't really get to see those sides in her music other than in her first single. More cohesiveness would help. Kind of like the "Virgin Madonna" or "Saint Madonna" and the "Mary Madonna". She played those dichotomous sides really well. 

Christina Aguilera needs an album filled with Genie in a Bottle. Start dancing again. Do some Adele-esque ballads.

I agree with every single thing you said wholeheartedly. 

• Love 1

Normani

I think she has all the qualities but is missing all the tools, or at least isn't really tackling the industry from all sides. People barely know who she really is, and i understand that she's trying to make her music speak for itself but ... i only think that this can be done only when you've reached a certain level in your career, such as Reputation by Taylor Swift or Beyonce. 

I think taking the time to do something great is okay, but in the meantime she should interact more with her audience. The fact is WE DON'T KNOW WHO SHE REALLY IS.  She doesn't play the role of your average celebrity, and perhaps its just me (as a consumer) who is used to this kind of approach (exhibit A: the Kardashians sharing everything about themselves). Yes privacy is needed and accepted, but when your personality doesn't have something that's intriguing, either you're funny or weird, or mean... it becomes bland, and boring. I think that the GP likes to be entertained in more ways than just a good performance on stage and incredible dance moves. I think that it goes beyond that. But her lack of involvement in her public persona makes me question does she really want this after all.  

I really liked motivation, it was the perfect song with the perfect timing and the perfect market, but out of nowhere she disappeared... back in 2019 we never saw her out and about, having dinners with friends, or being photographed in public... (not even a publicity stunt). 

Is it all done on purpose? Is she taking a brand new approach to stardom, where she'll only be present if and when she has a material to promote ... are we willing to leave behind our old ways as consumers? What do you think ? Let me know. 

- SN

On 10/31/2020 at 2:26 PM, Godney'sSweetCheeks said:

Madonna has lost her mojo since the mid to late 2000s. Don't get me wrong I adored Crave, but as others have said she should do more Ray Of Light style songs. Frozen and Power Of Goodbye are still incredible songs to this day. Miles Away and Ghosttown were closest to recapturing the mood I like from her. It's odd when a 60 year old is releasing dance tracks sorry not sorry. 

I was stoked for Janet's Made For Now follow up which insiders claimed would be a stunning return to form. Then Covid came. Booo. Hope Janet does have a strong comeback.

Mariah needs to ditch the slow boring RnB singles which all sound the same: I Don't, Infinity, With Love etc etc  It's time for her to return to 90s pop with songs like Always Be My Baby, Hero and Fantasy. She still has it in her to pen hits maybe it's the people she works with nowadays... Dupri is overated as hell. 

Avril should go down the P!nk route of having quirky funny songs mixed with deeper songs but with a rocky edge. Head Above Water was great but it was no I'm With You lbr. 

Katy needs to have a long break, bring up her kids and then in 2022 announce her inevitable Waking Up In Vegas residency. She has the hits to be a legacy artist but not sure if she'll ever have new hits following the last 2 albums.

Britney needs to win her freedom first and foremost. Then musically she should only have 1 ballad on her next record and work with the best producers rather than the cheapest (Glory vs Britney Jean - the difference was stunning.) Glory had great songs but the promo was a hot mess. 2 singles and only Make Me had any real promo - the MV debacle cost the song a top 10 spot in my opinion. 

I don't think britney should go the generic pop/mainstream route. On the contrary! I think she should do a whole album of Moody, slow, sad, real songs that really dive into what her life has been in the past decade. An album where she truly opens up, where she doesn't hold back vocally and belts out sad melodies about how she felt, who betrayed her, where she sees herself now, and where she wants to be. I have a playlist of songs that other artists have recorded and i just pretend that it was an album made by her. And the impact that this would have in my opinion would be incredible. 

We've seen her do bubblegum pop records, and somewhat "edgy" ones too; but to me her sound has never evolved. It's always the same things, and that same *** SELLS formula that they use for her. I think it's about time she does a change of genre. 

On 10/29/2020 at 5:27 PM, Mexwero said:

Britney needs to release an unplugged album with a live band and new arrangements and sing the classics with a couple originals. No dancing and just a stool and a microphone. She needs to clean that image of people not thinking she can sing. Can you imagine how amazing that would be????? Then come back with a blackout 2.0 I can’t even hold my excitement writing this lol 

I don't think she is capable of doing this. At all. And we don't want it either. Britney is not a vocalist, she's a pop performer. It's cute when she does something like You Oughta Know or Something To Talk About. But what keeps the game going for her is the overall excitement for what she'll do in her special performance on award show x, what costumes she'll bring in in a new tour, how well she'll surprise us with choreo (like she did A LOT during POM, in many occasions), her music videos and overall performance gimmicks.

She finds herself in a comfort zone now, in which she can playback freely and the public will still applaud her anyways, they don't come to hear her, but to watch her. I highly doubt she'd risk leaving it, and trying an acoustic (even though I'd love it) just to 'clean' any image of hers. It's not a Britney's thing to do, because honestly, she doesn't give a crap about her image in anyway, lmao.

On 10/31/2020 at 7:36 AM, NotLouTaylor said:

Britney and her stans were teens and grew up with each other. Katy was in her 20's making teenage music...

So do you think Katy would had a better chance if she had to begin aging up her music earlier on around the third album, so to keep up with

the aging fans. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block