Adele receives backlash for Africa SNL skit

11 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

Adele has become problematic since her weightloss. Not saying the 2 have to do with each other but the hair, her comments on certain stuff such as about her album and this...something is off with her...

I like her but this isn't the Adele we know.

Okay even if this was for fun, Adele wouod NEVER participate in this before..

What are you even talking about?

Adele has ALWAYS been a foul mouthed, outspoken singer who gave not one single **** about what others thought. To say that the "old Adele" would never do this is such an idiotic statement to make. Speaking of the "old Adele," do you mean the overweight self-admitted alcoholic who also struggled with substance abuse early on in her career? It's a shame that you're using her weight loss and journey to having a BETTER and HEALTHIER life as a weapon against her, all because you lack a sense of humor.

The only "problematic" thing about her are the people like you that she has triggered.

That wasn't offensive at all.  Go to any touristy beach location in any popular African country or even go to the Caribbean and check Jamaica... heck, go to any South American or European beach location either. Heck, even look at any thirst trap social posts by any hot guy. You'll see women of all races who are just like these characters, and they all joke around with each other.  SJW Twitter needs to disappear, let's stop giving them what they want - i.e. attention... because that's all they want.

And this is coming from me, a girl who's half black, dark skinned - who often gets rejected by those same twitter trolls and say "You ain't black" (like Joe Biden grossly said) even though I have darker skin than them and have a large black ancestry and know more about my heritage than they ever will. But i refuse to play the race card or identity politics and let my actions and personality and voice speak for myself. 

Sorry for the rant lol... I'm just so tired of this, and people just need to chill.  I often wish we can go back to the 90s where people were way less offended and laughed with each other regardless of differences.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sia said:

What are you even talking about?

Adele has ALWAYS been a foul mouthed, outspoken singer who gave not one single **** about what others thought. To say that the "old Adele" would never do this is such an idiotic statement to make. Speaking of the "old Adele," do you mean the overweight self-admitted alcoholic who also struggled with substance abuse early on in her career? It's a shame that you're using her weight loss and journey to having a BETTER and HEALTHIER life as a weapon against her, all because you lack a sense of humor.

The only "problematic" thing about her are the people like you that she has triggered.

Adele would never do things that could provocate people such as skits like this. I also clearly said it has nothing to do with her weightloss but somewhere on the road (and I mean the road of her succes and NOT her weightloss before you flip out again) she kinda started losing it.

Yes, she would speak her mind but NEVER would she provocate people like she seems to do since a while now.

There's a big difference with speaking your mind about things or seeking the line and provocating people.

Anyone in the right mind knows this, anno 2020, IS NOT DONE.

15 hours ago, kdub87 said:

I didn’t hear anyone mention the size of black men’s ****s in the skit? 

...or they just like black guys? It would be ignorant to deny that black men typically embody many things that are conventionally attractive in western society.  I wouldn’t say it’s fetishizing them to say you’re attracted to them. It’s just another way to be butthurt over something that is clearly intended to be funny, but humor is lost on the terminally offended these days. Imagine being offended over a skit that actually infers that people are attractive lol. People will find ANYTHING to flip and be offended by!

You have quoted me and then replied to something I havent said. I am attracted to black guys. I am also attracted to white guys or Asian guys. The point is, they are separating this one "exotic" group that lives predominantly in Africa and objectifying them.

I am not butthurt nor offended, as I stated even in my post. I am not black so I cannot tell what a black person should be offended by. Would I be offended if they created a similar fetishizing video with white gay men stereotypes? Possibly. That's why I think it's tone deaf. Quite frankly, don't see the funny in it either, but what's entertaining is subjective, I can anyways change the channel.

** The innuendo for their big black ****s is not exactly hidden in the video, you just need to read between the lines (or the images).

19 hours ago, ralphcornio said:

There is nothing wrong mixing races, and I'm all against some black people groups saying they shouldn't be 'bleaching up', having kids / marrying people of lighter skin. I just think it's prejudicial to keep pushing some old stereotypes (the small ***** asian, the dumb blonde, the massive ***** black which only serve this purpose), you get it? Exactly like Brazilian women, for instance, don't like the fact that they are valued only by their ***** / breasts outside our country, when they can do so much more. It's about that. It's about stop objectifying specific races / ethnicity.

Oh no... Black men known for having a huge **** such a detrimental stereotype. I assure you, it is not offensive. Asian's are known for being the smartest people, and Brazilians are known for their bustiness. That is literally just describing different people in the world. These are not offensive stereotypes, they are just descriptors used by humans to describe other humans. As it's always been done, throughout time. If we didn't have these things, there would be no way to differentiate different people on earth. Stereotypes do not = BAD, they are needed to live throughout life. It's a mental process we use so we don't have to waste time learning these things every time we meet someone new.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CloseMyEyes1457 said:

You have quoted me and then replied to something I havent said. I am attracted to black guys. I am also attracted to white guys or Asian guys. The point is, they are separating this one "exotic" group that lives predominantly in Africa and objectifying them.

I am not butthurt nor offended, as I stated even in my post. I am not black so I cannot tell what a black person should be offended by. Would I be offended if they created a similar fetishizing video with white gay men stereotypes? Possibly. That's why I think it's tone deaf. Quite frankly, don't see the funny in it either, but what's entertaining is subjective, I can anyways change the channel.

** The innuendo for their big black ****s is not exactly hidden in the video, you just need to read between the lines (or the images).

My reply wasn’t solely aimed at you. I’ve never once looked at a palm tree however and thought that looks like a big black ****. It was a beach, I wouldn’t read too far into why a palm tree is on a beach lol.

I didn’t really hear any outright racial stereotypes, did they actually even directly mention black men at all or just reference men in Africa? The snowflakes are just reaching and trying to find something to make it offensive when the bare bones of it is not an issue. Anyone who thinks it is, I wonder how they get by in daily life lol. 
When black people are being disproportionately ******** by cops, I hardly think Adele’s SNL skit that if anything pays compliments to the attractiveness of men in Africa is anything to worry about. 
Gawd take me back to the 90s before everyone turned into little *****es

14 hours ago, CloseMyEyes1457 said:

Quite frankly, don't see the funny in it either, but what's entertaining is subjective, I can anyways change the channel.

You nailed it, you can always change the channel. I suggest you do and let the rest of us enjoy what we find funny.

• Love 1

During Nigerians dying in the hopes to end sars this was extremely insensitive and tone deaf and ofcourse privileged. Even without it I find it racist and problematic. If it was about my *** (Im a female) and lets say ethnicity (cause my race is white aka cant relate what black people went through in america) used in such skit Id find it offensive, depressing, backwards. In general SNL doesnt have any sense of humour. Being straight forward offensive just showed that. I dont know why is SNL even still going. So many American shows pure trash.

• Like 1

I don’t get How can so many people can be offended when Adele dresses up in Jamaican garb, but when a black man is reduced to his sexuality it’s okay? Saying stereotypes are okay if they’re good that means If the good ones are true than so are the bad ones are too.  This one-dimentionalizing people puts races into boxes.  They do the same thing with Spanish women where they put Sofia Vergara on a spinning podium like an object or a car at an award show.  It’s disgusting.  And SNL always tries to take the higher moral ground.  They’re hypocrites.  And most of the writers on that show are Jewish btw.  So it’s a bunch of whites deciding what goes on air.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block