Mariah Carey shades Céline Dion in new autobiography: "I couldn't believe that someone was trying to outshine Aretha Franklin in his honor while singing about Jesus"

• Leader

mc-cd.jpg.4611d587aed1cacd809bbcaa12dbe25d.jpg

Mariah Carey reflects on an encounter she had with Céline Dion in her new new autobiography, The Meaning Of Mariah Carey, out now.

Mariah and Céline, along with Shania Twain, Gloria Estefan and Carole King performed a tribute to Aretha Franklin (who also performed) at the inaugural Divas Live show, which aired April 14, 1998, on VH1. 

Mariah doesn't specifically mention Celine's name, but it's no doubt about her.

She said: “We all knew our part, but we also knew it was an Aretha song. Well, almost all of us knew “. Mariah speaks of the "attempt made by another of the divas to face the queen [Aretha] during the song" [You Make Me Fell Like a Natural Woman "]. Although Mariah says the result was "good", she adds "I never would have done that".

Mariah also talked about the final performance, “Testimony”, in which the “duel diva” is a clear reference to Céline.

“The duel diva had gone too far before (in my humble opinion) and seemed to be trying to outdo Aretha. That. It happened. I couldn't believe that someone was trying to outshine Aretha Franklin in his honor while singing about Jesus. Maybe it was a big cultural gap, but it seemed like crazy to me, and I didn't want to participate in that. As this happened, my body started involuntarily to retreat out of the Divas line and I started to join the support singers, most of whom I knew. It seemed like blasphemy to me, and I wanted to be out of reach if the lightning came.”

Thoughts, Exhale? :gunriah_mariah_carey:

Related:

33 minutes ago, ShatteredBoy said:

Queen Celine stays unbothered. Mariah Carey needs to let it go, it’s been 25 years:cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

33 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

I don't think Celine was purposely trying to outshine Aretha nor was she trying to "battle" with her.

These two above...

Everybody including Mariah is overreacting. Celine was just feeling the song and she has THE VOICE so can you blame her? 

Funny that I never noticed anything uncomfortable watching the video before until reading this post..

• Love 3
  • Like 6

not Mariah still pressed over being outshined in a performance +20 years later hahahaha
I give her props, though. Making it sound like she didn't attempt something similar just outta respect, when everyone else knows that her voice just wasn't up for the challenge that night...
Anyway, the "vocal battle" in the end was prompted by Aretha herself. Whilst  the "Elusive chanteuse" desperately ran to the back ('cuz she's SO respectul), Celine stepped up, not letting Aretha look like an idiot demanding "will you help me lift it?" and "HIGHER" all by herself... 
I guess Mariah is just not used to be bested at anything, specially singing.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, OOPSY said:

Did not she speak out about it in one of her back in the day interviews ?

Yes. This tea is cold. Mariah was asked about this performance and Celine years ago and she was very classy in her answer.

Honestly I love both Celine and Mariah and I don't think either meant any harm. Also Mariah's shade was on the stage as well. We really didn't need her to explain how she felt lol

• Love 3

And this is why I've always favored Celine over Mariah. Celine has given nothing but praise to Mariah over the years. It's sad because Mariah and Celine are the two left from the vocal trinity and rather than come together and own the world, she continues to say things that further separates them.

Queen Celine!

• Love 7

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block