Mariah Carey shades Céline Dion in new autobiography: "I couldn't believe that someone was trying to outshine Aretha Franklin in his honor while singing about Jesus"

Celine actually recorded a cover for that song in 1995 as a promotional single, and then released it in her "Falling Into You" album, so she was very familiar with it, and she can definitely pull it off, so if you're going to flex your muscles... do it in front of Queen Aretha herself. That's called having balls. She did great, btw.

• Love 3
On 10/1/2020 at 10:50 PM, Jordan Miller said:

mc-cd.jpg.4611d587aed1cacd809bbcaa12dbe25d.jpg

Mariah Carey reflects on an encounter she had with Céline Dion in her new new autobiography, The Meaning Of Mariah Carey, out now.

Mariah and Céline, along with Shania Twain, Gloria Estefan and Carole King performed a tribute to Aretha Franklin (who also performed) at the inaugural Divas Live show, which aired April 14, 1998, on VH1. 

Mariah doesn't specifically mention Celine's name, but it's no doubt about her.

She said: “We all knew our part, but we also knew it was an Aretha song. Well, almost all of us knew “. Mariah speaks of the "attempt made by another of the divas to face the queen [Aretha] during the song" [You Make Me Fell Like a Natural Woman "]. Although Mariah says the result was "good", she adds "I never would have done that".

Mariah also talked about the final performance, “Testimony”, in which the “duel diva” is a clear reference to Céline.

“The duel diva had gone too far before (in my humble opinion) and seemed to be trying to outdo Aretha. That. It happened. I couldn't believe that someone was trying to outshine Aretha Franklin in his honor while singing about Jesus. Maybe it was a big cultural gap, but it seemed like crazy to me, and I didn't want to participate in that. As this happened, my body started involuntarily to retreat out of the Divas line and I started to join the support singers, most of whom I knew. It seemed like blasphemy to me, and I wanted to be out of reach if the lightning came.”

Thoughts, Exhale? :gunriah_mariah_carey:

Related:

Mariah... God knows Celine is humble and a good person and the problem with this is she outshined you, not Aretha. Nobody thinks she did it intentionally. Is always the same, even if she is right or not, her problem with most of female singers is they outshine her and she always try to find a way to make them look like the devil.

She needs to have several seats and accept that some people is hard at work and good professionals the 100% of the time, even in the hardest times of her life. And we all know that Celine has lived really hard moments and she still a professional... Can she say the same?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NobodyKnowsPete said:

Mariah... God knows Celine is humble and a good person and the problem with this is she outshined you, not Aretha. Nobody thinks she did it intentionally. Is always the same, even if she is right or not, her problem with most of female singers is they outshine her and she always try to find a way to make them look like the devil.

She needs to have several seats and accept that some people is hard at work and good professionals the 100% of the time, even in the hardest times of her life. And we all know that Celine has lived really hard moments and she still a professional... Can she say the same?

this! and celine seems to be such a sweet wonderful person. unlike someone else

• Love 1

I don't understand people complaining about this and saying that she should let it go, and grow up or whatever. It's her memoir and she's talking about her life and things that were meaningful/important moments to her. If there was a moment for her to speak about things that she felt back in the day, this is the moment, her book, her words and her life. :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

I believe she never said bad things about Celine except for this situation. I feel like in Mariah's case she is such a fan of Aretha that she felt it was a little too much on Celine's part, which from a vision of a fan it can be something bad seeing your idol being "battle" against it, but we all know that Aretha was asking for them to help her "lift it up", and Celine went there and did her job. 

• Love 1
On 10/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, kaledkalil said:

I don't understand people complaining about this and saying that she should let it go, and grow up or whatever. It's her memoir and she's talking about her life and things that were meaningful/important moments to her. If there was a moment for her to speak about things that she felt back in the day, this is the moment, her book, her words and her life. :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

I believe she never said bad things about Celine except for this situation. I feel like in Mariah's case she is such a fan of Aretha that she felt it was a little too much on Celine's part, which from a vision of a fan it can be something bad seeing your idol being "battle" against it, but we all know that Aretha was asking for them to help her "lift it up", and Celine went there and did her job. 

nah, we’re just pointing out how petty it is of her to hold this grudge for so long with someone who hasn’t done nor said anything about her.

She tries her best to make it sound like she felt it was disrespectful towards her idol, when it’s cristal clear she’s just bitter that not only she was bested vocal wise that night, she also was delegated to the background doing backup vocals during what was the most memorable moment of the night. The envy in her words are showing big time

It's the whole thing, we know Mariah had a fall out with her siblings. 

But everybody is now asking, where did the hatred of her mother come from. 

Even I was like, you always said your mom was your best friend, and now you say she's a bad person cos of the life you lived as a kid, and blame her for not knowing how to raise a biracial kid. 

Many are wondering if it's all for sympathy. Cos they said. Through out the entire 3 Decades she did nothing but praise her mom, sang a song with her, showed the world her voice is an inheritance cos her mom is an opera singer. They are all like where did the hate and resentment come from. 

They even put it like at least with Madonna, she was very open about her resentment with her own father, but that was due to not understanding as an 8 year old, even if your spouse dies, life goes on, she forgave him when Lola was Born and honestly both of her father's and Joan's relationship is better now that they are older and very understanding of each other. 

Then there is this, make my family the villian in my own narrative. 

I love her, but hatin' on Patricia after all these years is new to me. 

On 10/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

It's the whole thing, we know Mariah had a fall out with her siblings. 

But everybody is now asking, where did the hatred of her mother come from. 

Even I was like, you always said your mom was your best friend, and now you say she's a bad person cos of the life you lived as a kid, and blame her for not knowing how to raise a biracial kid. 

Many are wondering if it's all for sympathy. Cos they said. Through out the entire 3 Decades she did nothing but praise her mom, sang a song with her, showed the world her voice is an inheritance cos her mom is an opera singer. They are all like where did the hate and resentment come from. 

They even put it like at least with Madonna, she was very open about her resentment with her own father, but that was due to not understanding as an 8 year old, even if your spouse dies, life goes on, she forgave him when Lola was Born and honestly both of her father's and Joan's relationship is better now that they are older and very understanding of each other. 

Then there is this, make my family the villian in my own narrative. 

I love her, but hatin' on Patricia after all these years is new to me. 

I dont think Alison is lying. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block