Katy Perry's new album "Smile” drops to #54 selling 5k copies

On 9/10/2020 at 9:29 PM, ColdAsFire88 said:

Ok...I listened to the album again and its not that bad :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Its slightly generic though and the droplet singles didn’t help hype it up. I mean if you’ve already listened to half of someones album before it drops are you gonna listen to it again :oprah:

NRO - is one of the highlights and a good intro into the album :mcry:

Cry about it later - is infectiously annoying. I feel like she repeats the title a million times :clownery:

Teary Eyed - actually got my ears perked up and I started singing along:neydedance:

Daisies - I like this song but I can see why it failed to capture the GP’s attention. We have had Firework, Roar, Part of Me :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Resilient - This is where the album takes a dip for me. I don’t care for this song :parisok:

Not the end of the world - It sounds like something she would have released on Prism or back in 2015 :rihstare_rihanna_well_stare_staring_fingers_looking_around:

Smile - Its alright. Not bad but not great. Def not single worthy IMO :martini:

Champagne Problems - Its a cute BOP :flawlessbye_leave_walk_there_i_said_it:

Tucked - I get the appeal. I might listen to it again. Its cute :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised:

Harleys in Hawaii - I still dont understand how this song flopped so hard. Its probably my favorite on the album :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Only love - Don’t care. Pass. :clicktina:

What makes a woman - Its alright. Nothing noteworthy but not awful. 

Highlights: Never really over, Teary Eyed, Champagne Problems, Harleys in Hawaii

Wow thanks for the essay no one asked for. Very much appreciated :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

On 9/2/2020 at 2:13 AM, ShatteredGlass98 said:

I don’t see why people call a top 5 album a flop. She could do a lot worse.

Because Britney Jean's #4 sets the bar :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:

No, but seriously, I've never liked those charts though. On a given week, sales can be super low, and someone reaches #1 with just 20k sales. That #1 cannot be taken equally as someone that on another week reached the top spot with 1M sales. So all people remember is "oh, it hit #1" yeah, but how much did it sell?

The chart should be a constant scale, sort of like the Gold / Platinum  / Diamond certification, but a bit more varied and not so ambitious, since it's just 1 week's sales, but it should be a system that really gives  emphasis to the amount of sales, and not just the position. So people can be like ok, this album is this week's #1 or #5 or #20, but didn't even reach the "gold" mark or the "ruby" mark or whatever they decide to name.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Because Britney Jean's #4 sets the bar :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:

No, but seriously, I've never liked those charts though. On a given week, sales can be super low, and someone reaches #1 with just 20k sales. That #1 cannot be taken equally as someone that on another week reached the top spot with 1M sales. So all people remember is "oh, it hit #1" yeah, but how much did it sell?

The chart should be a constant scale, sort of like the Gold / Platinum  / Diamond certification, but a bit more varied and not so ambitious, since it's just 1 week's sales, but it should be a system that really gives  emphasis to the amount of sales, and not just the position. So people can be like ok, this album is this week's #1 or #5 or #20, but didn't even reach the "gold" mark or the "ruby" mark or whatever they decide to name.

Well how the charts work is quite complicated. I mean artist who have lackluster album sales choose to drop their album in less-competitive weeks, that way even if they sell 20k-40k, they can still have their album debut at No.1 since competition is low. Its basically a plethora of albums with higher sales than one another

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Smile dropped down to #54 this week. Dua Lipas Future Nostalgia entered back at #38 and Taylor Swifts Lover is at #48 :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

Ouch!!!!!!

Time to change her sound. Back to the Rock chick who told her lover he pms's like a bish. Back to the vans warped tour sound which when teenage dream came out. They called her a sell out. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

I'mma be Katy's advocate here... I haven't kept in touch w/ all those disparaging statements she reportedly made, but see... Eminem! Remember when Eminem was dissing Britney & Xtina? He went much further and pissed off all sorts of people, all sorts of groups in much deeper ways Katy ever did (he even, three years ago, said FU to an arguably large portion of his own fans, showed them the finger and denied them, drawing a line in the sand).

Eminem's persona was also quite unlikable to even more people but that did not stop him from pulling amazing numbers every single time. Just check his sales figures. He'd sell millions in the US everytime until Revival, released on Dec. 15th 2017, that sold 435,000 units. Kamikaze, released on Aug. 31st 2018, sold 493,000 units, and Music to Be ******** By, released last January 17th, sold 279,000 album-equivalent units in its first week. Obviously, he's selling more than Katy Perry right now. Why wasn't he ever punished or cancelled in regards to album sales? Katy is certainly not worse than he ever was.

What do you think? Eminem's music is different than Perry's, and Eminem was once named King of Hip-Hop by Rolling Stone. That may be part of the reason, but I have a feeling there is some underlying sexism in Perry's decline.

@ICouldntThinkOfOne @UnyewsualYew 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Arckangel said:

I'mma be Katy's advocate here... I haven't kept in touch w/ all those disparaging statements she reportedly made, but see... Eminem! Remember when Eminem was dissing Britney & Xtina? He went much further and pissed off all sorts of people, all sorts of groups in much deeper ways Katy ever did (he even, three years ago, said FU to an arguably large portion of his own fans, showed them the finger and denied them, drawing a line in the sand).

Eminem's persona was also quite unlikable to even more people but that did not stop him from pulling amazing numbers every single time. Just check his sales figures. He'd sell millions in the US everytime until Revival, released on Dec. 15th 2017, that sold 435,000 units. Kamikaze, released on Aug. 31st 2018, sold 493,000 units, and Music to Be ******** By, released last January 17th, sold 279,000 album-equivalent units in its first week. Obviously, he's selling more than Katy Perry right now. Why wasn't he ever punished or cancelled in regards to album sales? Katy is certainly not worse than he ever was.

What do you think? Eminem's music is different than Perry's, and Eminem was once named King of Hip-Hop by Rolling Stone. That may be part of the reason, but I have a feeling there is some underlying sexism in Perry's decline.

@ICouldntThinkOfOne @UnyewsualYew 

Eminem has always said that he doesn't have issues with the people he makes fun of in songs. Their names just happen to ryme with something he likes. He even laughed when Christina shaded him back at the 2000 VMAs. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block