Spotify CEO to artists: "you can’t record music once every three to four years and think that’s going to be enough."

I think this varies with the artist. 

It's obvious that those artists who have established themselves within the industry are allowed more time before content release. Still, the industry is flawed in so many ways that are all affected by time...including body image and age. That's why there's a drive for these younger artists to snatch a younger crowd and have their support throughout their career. That's Britney for most of us...Taylor for so many younger crowds out there...Billie...Ariana...etc. 

Speaking of Ariana, poor girl doesn't rest but has had massive success because of it. Now that she's resting, people want her back. 

I think it's BS that artists can't release more content sooner. Most of them (prime example being Rihanna) are presented with opportunities that make earning money much easier and they dive into that. It doesn't take 4 years to create an album. We've seen artists that do that and then release trash. We've also seen artists that work on something for 3 months and bam...folklore. 

Younger artists are plagued with competition. You have to be unique or put out quality content...C O N S T A N T L Y. Why? Well...because it's pretty much all been done before. I can listen to your Motivation song for only so long before I'm bored. If you're not around to release another one, I'm going to move on. If the next one you release in 3 years isn't better...I'm sure I found a replacement by then. 

So yeah...he's right. I'm sure he sees it all the time. 

• Love 1

This is bull. Just look at Tinashe. She's amazing, she works her a ss off, she's actually talented, she releases stuff constantly, and she's always under the radar. That's savage. Spotify is greedy and doesn't care about art but numbers, and people need to stop and learn how to enjoy and disect things.
This is her last single. I think it's super cool, both song and video. It's AT LEAST Top 40 material:

The beat is sick. Her vocals are on point. And that video was thought out. You simply cannot ask more from an artist.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

This is bull. Just look at Tinashe. She's amazing, she works her a ss off, she's actually talented, she releases stuff constantly, and she's always under the radar. That's savage. Spotify is greedy and doesn't care about art but numbers, and people need to stop and learn how to enjoy and disect things.
This is her last single. I think it's super cool, both song and video. It's AT LEAST Top 40 material:

The beat is sick. Her vocals are on point. And that video was thought out. You simply cannot ask more from an artist.

I agree but she doesnt have a bag to give to be added on Today’s Top Hits, Rap Caviar, etc. Iggy’s in the same situation, she’s serving left and right and she’s actually better than Saweetie, Cardi B and you name it, but she’s independent and they just don’t care for these artists. 
Also, it’s kinda over for them too. How long can they go by releasing independent stuff? Eventually they will be forgotten. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Style. said:

I agree but she doesnt have a bag to give to be added on Today’s Top Hits, Rap Caviar, etc. Iggy’s in the same situation, she’s serving left and right and she’s actually better than Saweetie, Cardi B and you name it, but she’s independent and they just don’t care for these artists. 
Also, it’s kinda over for them too. How long can they go by releasing independent stuff? Eventually they will be forgotten. 

I know but... ugh-- :icant:

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents:

- I see no lie in what he's saying. He's talking about the state of the music industry today whether it's sucky or not.
- Content is king. Almost every media market is over-saturated (music, video, photography, etc) because of social media and the rise of streaming. So it's more important than ever to stay relevant. Unfortunately, this also means crappier quality too with people rushing out content instead of focusing on quality. I personally miss the breaks between eras because it lets you miss them a bit and lets them focus on quality (like one single at a time, vs. releasing multiple singles at the same time).
- You don't necessarily HAVE to create music frequently. He mentioned it's important to nurture your audience (that means music videos, interacting on social media, interviews, ads, promos, etc. whatever it takes to show your fans that you're alive and still relevant but also attracting new fans.  If you're unable to release quality music frequently, then focus on creating other personal content outside of Spotify.
- It's not that expensive to create music and upload it to Spotify and other streaming platforms. I personally know a couple of friends who literally have no job and little money, and produce music on their laptop and uploaded to all the major streaming platforms. Can they make a livable income off that streaming music alone? Probably not... they do see an increase when nurturing their audiences... but the thing is it's not easy if you want it to be your ONLY income.  You'll have to hussle hard and have a team of people to help you.
- Spotify needs more ways to help their artists. They used to have a social aspect in the app itself which they removed a few years ago when they became popular. They also used to have a notifications for artists that you follow, so that when an artist you followed releases a new single/album all the followers would get a notification.  They removed this too for whatever reason. So now all artists have to promote on other social media and other music apps like BandsInTown.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Pinky98 said:

Why don’t all the labels just cut ties with Spotify and Apple Music? Then we’ll have to buy songs again, and I’m down to do that 

Speak for yourself sweaty. Those of us who like songs still buy them even with streaming. I don’t want to be compelled to buy a song before hearing if I like it first. Those that don’t buy even with streaming are just broke or don’t care about supporting their faves. I like streaming because I discover acts I never would’ve if I had to pay to listen to them. I still buy on iTunes to support my faves even if I never listen to the purchased copy and keep streaming to keep supporting them 

On one hand I think artists should be paid a bit more for putting music on streaming services, however it’s better than it being free online I guess. Either way artists don’t HAVE to release more music especially if they’re not just in it for the money, however smaller artists who need income may have to do this. Idk it just sounds really rude from him. 

• Love 1

it's a bad take and good work shouldn't be rushed. It's not just some product to some people. Also it's very expensive to record and produce music to the quality we all enjoy. To be consistently doing that as an independent artist is unfathomable. Plus it doesn't give much time to let a body of work breathe.

I see his point but it is awfully expressed and so out of touch. First, even if you put out a song every month, even if it's good, it's not so easy. I think of, right away, three very talented and hard-working musicians that have consistently put records every damn year, incredible quality and musicianship and they are flops in the traditional market sense. 

The industry is much more complicated than putting a sucking gazillion songs out there. Specially with this oversaturation of singers and new acts and the pushes the industry itself makes on the go.

I mean yeah, costs are lower now, but not everyone is a multi instrumentalist with computer saviness and production knowledge oh and mastering expertise. Ha!  To put out a song with Spotify quality and capable of competing with all the other songs, you need to hire, at least one person. As far as.I know, not even the most talented can do everything. I mean, Michael Jackson didn't master his own records, right? And yes, Billie and Finneas created an album from home, but if you read the credits, they didn't mix it and mastered it. Slightly absurd comparison but it's as if you are the best heart surgeon. Sure, you can perform an amazing life saving surgery, but if you don't have an anesthesiologist, your work won't save that person's life. Every song that reaches people's ears has been touched by more than one person. But some idiots love to romanticize hard work and talent.

Yeah, Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande can record a song in two days, but not everyone can afford hiring products, musicians, studios, master engineers, mixers in 48 hours. This guy has never made a song, that is clear.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block