Spotify CEO to artists: "you can’t record music once every three to four years and think that’s going to be enough."

2 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I also see this side of things, too.

Imagine Exhale only having one new topic featured on the homepage per day. Content is king. Same for music apparently. 

PeriodT. 

Even my E30DSC show had to keep the content going and with a consistent timeslot to keep engagement with it's audience. :lessons:

Major labels pay for studio time, all the music videos costs. As in the contracts. The labels take whatever is owed to then, before you see a penny. 

Hence, why artists tour, that's there money to keep. 

But that revenue is dead. Not everybody can own their master's like Melanie C, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa and a few others. That get every penny back..

Not everybody writes, etc. 

His comments are gone deaf especially since miss Rona killed literally all of Hollywood

• Love 1
  • Like 2

That’s why Taylor released an album so soon after Lover, because she knows the game. Today’s market is another story than what it used to be before. If you’re not consistent, you’ll be forgotten especially for a new artist. See Normani. 

Artists are forced to bow down to these streaming services. Spotify and Apple Music decides what’s a HIT and what’s a flop. Didn’t y’all get it by now? 

• Love 6
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Maybe it is less expensive than ever, but also is music something to be made just to stay afloat? What does that say about the value of it? IDK it's a slippery slope :katyclown:

This. I’ve been recording for a long time, and working on an album for the past two years. I do everything with Logic Pro, so it IS less expensive than ever, but it irks me to imagine rushing myself or compromising my vision just to make sure I’m pumping out content on the reg. And I think music does lose value (economic AND artistic) when it’s made purely for profit. At the same time, I get frustrated with myself because I just wanna put my stuff out and worry less about it being “perfect”, because I’m putting in hundreds of hours of work and I’m not making a profit 😂

Slippery slope indeed. 

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
59 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

I am an artist myself, and to get yourself a record label contract, to go to a full studio to record music is more back-of-the-day. I create all my music on GarageBand, where I am provided great loops to provide a great recipe (song) :tired:

In film school my professor told us in class “why are you guys so eager to be working for the studios? They’re just gonna do the same thing you would do, take your project and go to the banks to get a loan then get a huge cut at the end and they know they can get away with it because they are a big company. You guys can do the same thing and cut out the middle man who will be making more money than you from the deal.” 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Puppy said:

In film school my professor told us in class “why are you guys so eager to be working for the studios? They’re just gonna do the same thing you would do, take your project and go to the banks to get a loan then get a huge cut at the end and they know they can get away with it because they are a big company. You guys can do the same thing and cut out the middle man who will be making more money than you from the deal.” 

OMG :jtum:

Send him exhale points for being ahead of his time :orangu:

• Haha 3
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

OMG :jtum:

Send him exhale points for being ahead of his time :orangu:

Lol he comes from old Hollywood, his parents worked for Alfred Hitchcock. He’s done some stuff too but he definitely gave a lot of insights into the world of Hollywood. He was the one that showed us to attach cables to the matte box and to the camera. He says he seen it on set all the time as he tilts the camera over and the matte box fell while he was doing an overhead shot. He says that these things are made of metal and can slice your skin. If you make this mistake, you are for sure fired.” I totally had flashbacks of Britney’s accident. He wasn’t lying. 

• Love 4

That's actually a perfect explanation for it. I mean let's assume that Britney puts out an album every 8 months......this will definitely make her name more prevalent on streaming services therefore bringing more streams to her name overall :mj:

Maybe that's why Ariana and Drake are streaming forces. they put out music back to back. same with Billie.

As for the promotion , that's how you sort of get hits or become successful. Promotion won't do anything...the formula of only releasing albums after projects will ensure some sort of success in this day and age. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

It's a competitive business so if you're choosing to be a part of it, you need to know the risks and challenges. To me it's no different than someone working a fast food job (there's nothing wrong with that) but wanting a lifestyle of leisure, vacations and luxuries. That's why I never got behind movements that wanted to raise base wages for introductory jobs to $15-$18/hour. All that does is devalue careers that require additional training and background.

I think there is truth to what he is saying but I do also think churning out album after album is a) a hard line to walk if you don’t want your fans to get sick of you/oversaturate the market and b) does devalue the art imo. It’s not art for arts sake but art for money’s sake (I get it’s a business and people want to make money, but the art should be the driving factor).  I’ll agree it’s a different landscape and that consistently waiting 3-4 years to put out material doesn’t really work with the current format, but pumping out an album a year (or more) makes it hard to make anything iconic these days. It also makes touring an album hard too seeing as pulling together a world tour to support an album takes time and planning. 
Although indie artists shouldn't complain too much. Apps like Spotify have made it easier than ever to upload your work and let it speak. But yeah, without label money, promoting will be hard but that’s the industry. At least they have a platform to share their art on now. 

• Love 1

He is right. The discussion is on the money which artists earn and you have to continue to sell stuff to continue to earn money. I get that it's art and not easy to produce for the sake of money but are these artists expecting to live off of their albums that got released 4 years ago? Isn't this already a known struggle for the art field out of spotify even. We all have to keep working to keep earning so the backlash is pointless. It's just business. :tina:

Now if they are or aren't paid what they deserve, that's another topic.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block