Ariana Grande responds to the LA Times' controversial quote about Gaga being the queen of pop

6 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Oh yeah I’m not discrediting them, but I would say Gaga is a bigger contender than Ariana. Doesn’t make sense someone who has achieved less success than Britney would be the one to dethrone her and Ariana hasn’t even had the impact Gaga has had. Gaga has one of my all time favorite albums and Ariana was one of my top 10 most played artists of the decade on Spotify :haha: granted it’s not because of her full albums. It’s because I stan about 3 songs from each of her albums hardcore that I’ve made playlists of those songs :mattafact:

image.gif

• Like 2

Gaga + Ari will never be as iconic as Britney + Madonna.:endit:
Maybe I'm naive, but the relationship between Britney and Madonna looked sincere. I think they really admire an respect each other.

Gaga is such an opportunist, she uses everything to buzz. Not long ago, she was BFF with Madonna too, but there was more competition then love. We all saw how it ended... 

madonna look it up GIF

Gaga never talked about Ariana as an inspiration, it comes from nowhere (except from their record companies) 
She will find another princess in two weeks if the song doesn't top the charts.

I don't even see why they linked them as Queen and Princess, they have completely different styles.
And in my opinon, Ariana is good enough to have her very own crown, she doesn't need to share the throne with somebody like Gaga...:begone:  

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I really don't get why people are so salty about this. :slowdown: I don't think people should be comparing the old Queens and Princesses to the old ones in order to validate or discredit these claims. It's not about them being just as successful as Britney or Madonna. It's about them being THE pop stars of this generation. :holduplisten: Personally, I don't think it's either Gaga or Ariana, but I also don't think these comparisons are valid when we live in a completely different culture and landscape. Rihanna, Taylor, Beyonce, Katy, Ariana and Gaga are the most successful pop stars of this generation, so two of them do 100% deserve these titles, whether you like it or not. :drag: Ariana is definitely the least deserving of the ones I named (Rihanna being the most deserving, IMO, but maybe they forgot about her because she's black, idk), but I'm sure she'll continue to prove herself with her next eras. :useeinthis:

34 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

It's about them being THE pop stars of this generation

It's ok to call someone "the pop star of this generation" or "the pop sensation of this generation", but it's NOT OK to call them Queen/Princess of pop! :nyschool: Those titles are reserved for Madonna and Britney. You can't just make somebody the "new" queen/princess of pop... :NYsassy:

I LOVE Gaga, for me she is muuuch more than any other "current" stars, like Taylor, Ariana whatever. But she is not "The Queen of Pop" - that's Madonna, and it will always be Madonna. Those comparisons are really unnecessary. People should make new titles for Gaga, Ariana, Taylor etc. Or they can just call Gaga "Mother Monster" etc. :comingthru:

+ Let's not forget that people like Michael, Madonna or Britney - they paved the way for current pop artists :nyschool: They set the standard, they pushed the boundaries, they changed our culture and our perspectives, they basically created the meaning behind words like: performance, legendary, iconic, queen, king, princess etc.  :martini:

That's why the pop-royalty is (and always will be): Michael, Madonna and Britney. :bedtime:

• Love 2
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Lukass1896 said:

It's ok to call someone "the pop star of this generation" or "the pop sensation of this generation", but it's NOT OK to call them Queen/Princess of pop! :nyschool: Those titles are reserved for Madonna and Britney. You can't just make somebody the "new" queen/princess of pop... :NYsassy:

I LOVE Gaga, for me she is muuuch more than any other "current" stars, like Taylor, Ariana whatever. But she is not "The Queen of Pop" - that's Madonna, and it will always be Madonna. Those comparisons are really unnecessary. People should make new titles for Gaga, Ariana, Taylor etc. Or they can just call Gaga "Mother Monster" etc. :comingthru:

+ Let's not forget that people like Michael, Madonna or Britney - they paved the way for current pop artists :nyschool: They set the standard, they pushed the boundaries, they changed our culture and our perspectives, they basically created the meaning behind words like: performance, legendary, iconic, queen, king, princess etc.  :martini:

That's why the pop-royalty is (and always will be): Michael, Madonna and Britney. :bedtime:

THIS. Thank you! I was going to say that people only do this to women. I didn’t  see anyone calling Justin Timberlake the King of Pop when he was ruling the charts. I don’t see anyone calling Justin Bieber the King/Prince of Pop. Like you said those titles are forever and Britney was the pop star of our generation for years yet no one ever thought to crown her the new Queen of Pop so I don’t understand how Gaga who has been around for a little over a decade all of a sudden thinks she merits that title when Britney not once in her ultra mega successful career even thought to entertain the idea :bedtime: 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Mattyj7883 said:

I’m not discrediting anything that Gaga or Ariana have done in their careers thus far.  It’s just that the things Madonna and Britney did in their careers, especially before internet and social media, was so impactful that they earned those titles.  Just like Michael Jackson will always be known as the King of Pop.  
200.gif

MildCoarseDonkey-max-1mb.gif
tumblr_inline_oif9v2mrgP1qgyc7o_400.gifv

Exactly, Britney and Madge did what they did and had a bigger impact and own their status as industry greats and longevity to hard hard work. Newer artists need to show what they can have appeal and sustain over a good long time.

You need to have lasting appeal and a career that ages well over time. Ari is great for now and Gaga is still pretty big after 10+ years, and that’s good. Madonna & Britney are still on top of the pop bizz. 

But this is all just promo for Gaga anyway, the media always gets people talking and drama, and she can’t really do promo herself so she’s resorting to saving the world to work as her album buzz campaign.  

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Exactly, Britney and Madge did what they did and had a bigger impact and own their status as industry greats and longevity to hard hard work. Newer artists need to show what they can have appeal and sustain over a good long time.

You need to have lasting appeal and a career that ages well over time. Ari is great for now and Gaga is still pretty big after 10+ years, and that’s good. Madonna & Britney are still on top of the pop bizz. 

But this is all just promo for Gaga anyway, the media always gets people talking and drama, and she can’t really do promo herself so she’s resorting to saving the world to work as her album buzz campaign.  

Exactly.

cbb2ab3615f13dbdc6943cd72eb3beb5.gif

This race/hierarchy is so dumb to me. Gaga and Ariana are nothing like Britney or Madonna. It’s like saying French fries are replacing sharpies. One is not like the other, they all have their own lane. **** this silly fictional hierarchy. No one is replacing anyone as no one can do what Britney has done, and vice versa for Ariana. Gaga and Madonna are both uber creative and controversial and maybe have a little more in common but still, very different.

• Like 1

Guys, I was a witness of Gaga's beginnings since "Just Dance", and she was already great back then because she's super talented, but she was a pop girl from textbooks, she was following all possible recipes already done by Madonna and Britney, with a little twist here and there, whereas M and B were trailblazers from day one. And now Gaga is all over the place, she's so talented that she wants to do everything, so she's good at everything but now she isn't fully amazing at anything. Britney has 9 amazing (ugh I hate you "Britney Jean"!!) ---8...9.....8---whatever she has 9 amazing studio albums, so sit back and stay quiet. And I said ALBUMS, not various compilations with a few smashes and the rest all fillers (HI RIH AND THE REST).
And Ariana? My gawd she's fantastic, that voice..... But she's playing locally, especially with her last album, which is so American. I love her, I enjoy her a lot, but she's not a worldwide phenomenon, so no, go back in the line.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Roxxy said:

I love Ari but how vain of her to cry and lowkey accept that title. Their combined sales do not even match atleast half of Madonna and Britney's combined worldwide record sales. But go off Ariana. :imacat:

I love gaga but Madonna is just on another level. She's probably the most famous person in this planet. Gaga could never achieve her status. 

Ariana is cute, she's successful, but she's nowhere as near as Britney in her prime. 

• Love 2

I legit can’t at people on here saying Taylor is the new princess of Pop....lmao no! Sorry she hasn’t done a single iconic thing and makes forgettable basic music! 

Ariana isn’t it either even though I love her! If anything Lady Gaga (who I can’t stand) is the current Pop princess and Madonna remains the queen just like MJ will forever be the king and Britney will forever be the original princess! 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block