Who Was The Bigger POP Culture Icon In 2003? Britney or JLO?

6 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I’m talking about her albums before 1989. I’ve been a fan since Tim McGraw and actually lost interest and boycotted her when she released Shake It Off. A pure coincidence it’s when streaming took off. I only got back to liking her again after Look What You Made Me Do. Did I have my favorites from the former? Yeah I did, but it wasn’t the singles with the exception of the original Bad Blood. And yes even for Taylor I would say it’s fair to place her TEA asides from pure sales. She’s a touring phenomenon anyways. I guess back to our previous discussions - it’s more than just single sales. The entire package consisting of album and single sales, memorable performances, music videos, media coverage, etc have a lot to do with it. Pink did deserve her Vanguard when she did and had they had the same requirements they did when they first started out, Britney, Christina and Beyonce would’ve had theirs 15-20 years ago. Thank you for this discussion though and for bringing valid points to the table. Not I’m off to get whatever shred of sleep I can get :haha:

Actually been thinking of you cause its 4am and i'm like this bich doesn't want to go to work... ezgif-2-b9502a805e77.jpg

If they were giving Vanguards in the early 2000s, Xtina would be a strong contender. But right now if you sum up her career, it just won't be enough cause everyone's pretty much outimpacted her already (not even bringing up sales anymore but just impact). Maybe if they run out of options, she would for sure be on top of the list. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Actually been thinking of you cause its 4am and i'm like this bich doesn't want to go to work... ezgif-2-b9502a805e77.jpg

If they were giving Vanguards in the early 2000s, Xtina would be a strong contender. But right now if you sum up her career, it just won't be enough cause everyone's pretty much outimpacted her already (not even bringing up sales anymore but just impact). Maybe if they run out of options, she would for sure be on top of the list. 

I’m regretting my actions right now staying up defending her :kidcries:

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh that's why I always say that people in the US live in a parallel universe very different than what we live in the rest of the world, I think many Americans fail to understand how big Britney Spears was around the world, and in such a short period of time. Even today Britney is seen as a guilty pleasure, as an untalented girl that just lipsyncs and makes plastic music when in other countries she's still recognized as a serious and respected artist.

Jennifer Lopez might have been more popular because of her movies I guess? Even though all I read all the time is how bad her movies are, so idk.

And it's funny that they always mention her as this icon in the Latin music scene, when as a Latin myself didn't even know she was Latin until many years later :blol: seriously, all my life I thought she was American and her last name came from many generations back. I mean, she can barely speak Spanish :yaknow: and the songs that have made her more famous in here are the ones in English, unlike Shakira. Even Christina had more impact with her songs in Spanish.

It wasn't until after On the Floor that I started to see more people rooting for her

They also kept telling me the other day how much she deserved the Video Vanguard Award and for more that they quoted me, at any point they made me understand what did she specifically do, like, in videos or songs, to be considered any sort of icon, but anyways :idkney:

Now, if the VH1 list was about the whole pop culture, and not just specifically about music, maybe that green dress DID have more impact at the moment :ehidk:

She was a one hit wonder. Known for her clothes, relationships and her main assett, her butt. She was a product of the MTV while she tried too hard to be a part of the industry. She was rather mediocre and micro managed in all her decisions. 

At first I thought the list was for the year 2003 only.  Britney was every where in 2003 and for the most part people were still into her (toxic, mtv kiss, crying interview, **** and single, i think she had that fling w/Colin?), but they are referring up to 2003. Hmmm...I feel like up to that point it was JLo’s career peak as a musician and hollywood actress so they kind of have a point. Hear me out.

By 2003 Jennifer Lopez had multiple number ones, hit movies (simultaneously had the #1 movie and album in America) but 2003 had her last number #1 hot 100 “all i have“ along with “Jenny from the block”. Her movie career performed horribly with Gigli but she had Maid in Manhattan the year before along with The Wedding Planner. I think she even had a fragrance and clothing line by then? 

After 2003? Her last decent movie was Monster in Law in 2005. JLo’s last hit single was “on the floor”  in 2011, which she sampled. Her last album AKA bombed in 2014 and all shes released are singles. She had a movie resurgence with Second Act and Hustlers.

The list was created in 2003 and it was JLo’s high. Performance wise it was Britneys peak but it was not her career peak. If we compared 2007 Britney to 2007 JLo we would laugh because all people could talk about was Britney and then Britney made a HUGE comeback after experiencing the worst public breakdown (thanks paps). Ultimately Brit has had a bigger & longer culture impact than JLo has. Lets give one year to JLo :haha:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, pop analyst said:

She was a one hit wonder. Known for her clothes, relationships and her main assett, her butt. She was a product of the MTV while she tried too hard to be a part of the industry. She was rather mediocre and micro managed in all her decisions. 

I mean, I think she's good. I do like some of her songs, and I recognize she has a great style and she's like this powerful woman in the industry NOW. But back then, I would've never thought of her being among the best of anything that wasn't about looks or fashion. And maybe this is what this list was about :yaknow:

5 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

At first I thought the list was for the year 2003 only.  Britney was every where in 2003 and for the most part people were still into her (toxic, mtv kiss, crying interview, **** and single, i think she had that fling w/Colin?), but they are referring up to 2003. Hmmm...I feel like up to that point it was JLo’s career peak as a musician and hollywood actress so they kind of have a point. Hear me out.

By 2003 Jennifer Lopez had multiple number ones, hit movies (simultaneously had the #1 movie and album in America) but 2003 had her last number #1 hot 100 “all i have“ along with “Jenny from the block”. Her movie career performed horribly with Gigli but she had Maid in Manhattan the year before along with The Wedding Planner. I think she even had a fragrance and clothing line by then? 

After 2003? Her last decent movie was Monster in Law in 2005. JLo’s last hit single was “on the floor”  in 2011, which she sampled. Her last album AKA bombed in 2014 and all shes released are singles. She had a movie resurgence with Second Act and Hustlers.

The list was created in 2003 and it was JLo’s high. Performance wise it was Britneys peak but it was not her career peak. If we compared 2007 Britney to 2007 JLo we would laugh because all people could talk about was Britney and then Britney made a HUGE comeback after experiencing the worst public breakdown (thanks paps). Ultimately Brit has had a bigger & longer culture impact than JLo has. Lets give one year to JLo :haha:

Let’s give her one year?  :makeup:  I do love me my JLo tho 

Britney Spears was the Bigger Pop Culture Icon 100%

Even up until a couple years ago Britney has always been relevant.

She created the job of paparazzi and selling pics to the media. 

She was literally the most famous person on earth, just look at this video, i still to this day find it shocking:
I know its not from 2003, but this was just the beginning in 2000.

https://youtu.be/Qwby2B4sEkw

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

Britney Spears was the Bigger Pop Culture Icon 100%

Even up until a couple years ago Britney has always been relevant.

She created the job of paparazzi and selling pics to the media. 

She was literally the most famous person on earth, just look at this video, i still to this day find it shocking:
I know its not from 2003, but this was just the beginning in 2000.

https://youtu.be/Qwby2B4sEkw

Like one of the commenters said “only MJ and Britney have brought out this type of crowd” and to think she was just 18 :kidcries: