Who Was The Bigger POP Culture Icon In 2003? Britney or JLO?

7 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

the fact that at my superbowl party all the people (aged 17-19) knew all of the shakira songs but none but one of jlos songs says something :chrissy:

Where do you live? Jlo sung some of her biggest hits that almost everyone has at least heard once in their life. If it’s outside the US I guess I understand since Shakira is more of a global icon 

1 minute ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Omg you didn’t know she was Latina until much later in her career? :gloria: Deaddd but yeah you made very valid points. I still don’t understand how many people are still downplaying what an icon she is. I’m glad that at least some people are starting to realize and that’s why her most iconic hits are getting more and more plays recently 

I mean, I didn't even know the Spanish version of her singles until many years later. Like, I knew who she was, but because of her songs in English. So to me she was always another American artist. And the Selena movie was American too, so it's like :nicki2:

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

To think Ashanti sang most of Jlo’s biggest hits :gloria:

omg the Tea! :reductive::truthtea:

7 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Hot milk is what some people drink to help them sleep. I cannot function without coffee in the morning :sipnstare:

Same! If someone tries to talk to me before I have my morning coffee... well - good luck to them :explainlol::nynod:

• Haha 1
Just now, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

To think Ashanti sang most of Jlo’s biggest hits :gloria:

hmmm i smell a conspiracy :snooptoya:

britney and beyonce: both young southern girls, performing since childhood, trying to crack the music industry as solo women

jennifer lopez: posited as being more iconic than spears in an enigmatic, confusing way--perhaps just a quirk of the culture until you realize, her ghost vocalist (or ghostalist) is none other than the same woman we are told is beyonce and then some: ashanti

EU3rZQzWkAEpAVr.jpg

i smell something...sinister 

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, PokemonSpears said:

I mean, I didn't even know the Spanish version of her singles until many years later. Like, I knew who she was, but because of her songs in English. So to me she was always another American artist. And the Selena movie was American too, so it's like :nicki2:

I do get it though. I used to think she was born in Puerto Rico and relocated to the USA as a kid 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Lukass1896 said:

Milk? Don't you mean: coffee?  

11 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Hot milk is what some people drink to help them sleep. I cannot function without coffee in the morning 

It's really milk for me, or hot choco. ezgif-2-b9502a805e77.jpg

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

I’m not bothered, I wouldn’t be surprised if Jlo has inside connections to boost her up. I mean Tommy was relentlessly trying to push her to the top. 

He was so desperate in trying to bring Mariah down. I do think she deserved a top spot, but definitely not before Britney. Jlo had successful albeit critically panned films and had 4 #1 singles at the time and memorable songs/videos. She was also all over the tabloids and news outlets. I was definitely shocked when I saw the list though

14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh that's why I always say that people in the US live in a parallel universe very different than what we live in the rest of the world, I think many Americans fail to understand how big Britney Spears was around the world, and in such a short period of time. Even today Britney is seen as a guilty pleasure, as an untalented girl that just lipsyncs and makes plastic music when in other countries she's still recognized as a serious and respected artist.

Jennifer Lopez might have been more popular because of her movies I guess? Even though all I read all the time is how bad her movies are, so idk.

And it's funny that they always mention her as this icon in the Latin music scene, when as a Latin myself didn't even know she was Latin until many years later :blol: seriously, all my life I thought she was American and her last name came from many generations back. I mean, she can barely speak Spanish :yaknow: and the songs that have made her more famous in here are the ones in English, unlike Shakira. Even Christina had more impact with her songs in Spanish.

It wasn't until after On the Floor that I started to see more people rooting for her

They also kept telling me the other day how much she deserved the Video Vanguard Award and for more that they quoted me, at any point they made me understand what did she specifically do, like, in videos or songs, to be considered any sort of icon, but anyways :idkney:

Now, if the VH1 list was about the whole pop culture, and not just specifically about music, maybe that green dress DID have more impact at the moment :ehidk:

You didn't know Jenny was latina, Pokie? :idkney:

And omg are you upset with me and Diggy over the J.Lo Vanguard discussion. :eheeek:

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

britney and beyonce: both young southern girls, performing since childhood, trying to crack the music industry as solo women

jennifer lopez: posited as being more iconic than spears in an enigmatic, confusing way--perhaps just a quirk of the culture until you realize, her ghost vocalist (or ghostalist) is none other than the same woman we are told is beyonce and then some: ashanti

EU3rZQzWkAEpAVr.jpg

Omg :gloria: don’t take me back to 2010 and late night Illuminati conspiracy videos on YouTube EU3rZQzWkAEpAVr.jpg

• Super Mods

He was so desperate in trying to bring Mariah down. I do think she deserved a top spot, but definitely not before Britney. Jlo had successful albeit critically panned films and had 4 #1 singles at the time and memorable songs/videos. She was also all over the tabloids and news outlets. I was definitely shocked when I saw the list though

Yeah But doesn’t that make Jlo look better if she tops even THE BRITNEY SPEARS? He was bent on making Jlo the biggest popstar so she can crush Mariah

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods

Mariah was ranked at like 190 on this list so I’m believing what you’re saying EU3rZQzWkAEpAVr.jpg

It sounds so conspiracy like but to hear people saying he was willing to pluck Ja Rule from his tour, fly him over night on a private jet just so he can appear on Jlo’s video and hiring people to spy on Mariah, omg what a lunatic, no wonder she bonded with Britney.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Britney didn't do much in 2003 other than The Kiss and MATM/releasing ITZ (but only the one single). MATM peaked at #35 in the US.

Bennifer got a ton of press in 2003. Gigli became a sensation bc it flopped so hard. But the song All I Have was a #1 hit that year.

Britney was always bigger than JLo back in those days but JLo had a pretty iconic year in 2003.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

EU3rZQzWkAEpAVr.jpg

I'm not sure I understand but I'm scared :haha: