Who Was The Bigger POP Culture Icon In 2003? Britney or JLO?

Britney, no contest. She was the most famous woman in the world 1999-2008ish.

unfortunately Britney does not have a lot of industry respect in the way other artists do. I think bc the general population sees her as non artistic. Which is weird bc JLo isn’t artistic imo. I just think Britney is more well known in general for more than just music which clouds people’s judgment. This has changed though, she’s more respected now for her legacy.

I think she’s like a Marilyn Monroe in that way. I’m sure if these lists came out in 1955 or whenever Marilyn would be downplayed too.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, brit4u1998 said:

You're all going to hate me, but I actually felt like Jennifer Lopez was more famous than Britney at this time. Perhaps I was a depressive 14 year old, or whatever! :cheersney:

In 2003, the big three were Britney, Beyonce, and J.LO.

JLO was even in talks to be the leading lady in Austin Powers in 2003. She was everywhere during that time. I personally think that Britney was always a huge phenomenon, but this was the time that people started turning their backs on her 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bas che said:

Jennifer is a such force to be reckoned with. There was room for both of them to score big. 

2000-2005 was my fav time because they were both at their peak. They also timed the releases their albums not too far apart iirc

Yes! This topic was mostly out of shock that Britney wasn’t first, but yes I love JLO and she was serving real big time during that time. And they both admire and love each other so I’m glad they both reached the success they did 

• Love 1

To me Jlo was the bigger impact, That Bennifer relationship was like a Twitter type obsession with real people before social media became a thing, huge hit song with LL cool J (even some MC fans admit they like it, cos of LL cool J, plus the video is no new York City Winter), the movie flopped. 

Britney had the kiss with Madonna, and the duet. But American Radio refused to play the duet thx To Madonna's views on the wAr and president bush. 

Still to this day, if you didn't support invading Iraq, or the president at that time. You are viewed as Un American.

1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

JLO was even in talks to be the leading lady in Austin Powers in 2003. She was everywhere during that time. I personally think that Britney was always a huge phenomenon, but this was the time that people started turning their backs on her 

I was a preteen and teenager in the early to mid 00's, I remember she was still 'cool' in early 2002. I would have to agree that after early 2002, people started having a backlash against her. :cheese:

• Like 1

Britney no ifs and or buts about it. JLO had impact and was big back then no doubt but Britney was EVERY ******* WHERE. I used to go in my lunch line at my elementary school cafeteria and who's poster was on the wall as I put in my lunch # pin ? Britney's Got Milk ad. I wanna say it was 2001-2003.  :gimmemoar:

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

You cared enough to stop by :riri: says the one who created the Anna Nicole Smith thread :airpls:

Respect the dead people. I don't think it makes much difference to know who was the most famous in 2003. , does it really matter in the globality of their respective careers? A career is made up of several stages/choices that get you where you are today in your life. You can be very famous for a year and then totally disappear. Both have had a longevity that many people in the industry dream of. Time the only truth teller. 

1 minute ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Respect the dead people. I don't think it makes much difference to know who was the best famous in 2003. , does it really matter in the globality of their respective careers? A career is made up of several stages/choices that get you where you are today in your life. You can be very famous for a year and then totally disappear. Both have had a longevity that many people in the industry dream of. Time the only truth teller. 

It’s a discussion and for the most part has remained a civil discussion. No need to come in here with that whole attitude and try to turn it on me with the “respect the dead people” comment. I featured your thread about her don’t forget that before you accuse me of disrespecting the dead 

3 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

It’s a discussion and for the most part has remained a civil discussion. No need to come in here with that whole attitude and try to turn it on me with the “respect the dead people” comment. I featured your thread about her don’t forget that before you accuse me of disrespecting the dead 

Well i just think your attitude was a bit aggressive. There is nothing wrong with paying an homage/tribute to a dead celebrity, it's a form of flattery/respect. Your thread is different, it's more about competition and pitting women against each others imo 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Well i just think your attitude was a bit aggressive. There is nothing wrong with paying an homage/tribute to a dead celebrity, it's a form of flattery/respect. Your thread is different, it's more about competition and pitting women against each others imo 

And you’re entitled to your opinion and if you read through the entire topic you would find that I love both women and was merely shocked that VH1 had ranked JLO higher than Britney. If my tone became aggressive it’s because your tone started the conversation. Don’t like the topic? There are plenty to choose from 

8 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

I mean Jlo DID have the 11th best-selling single of 2003 with Jenny from the block, whereas Britney had the 28th best-selling single with MATM. So then, who was more iconic in 2003? :heresthetea:

But wasnt Jenny from the block released a year before MATM? So how fair is comparing both when in 2003, Jenny from the block was already one year old and MATM was only released in mid october 2003 while Jenny from the block was already one year and one month old lol 

And we all know that even during Britneys massive fame and success, her singles didnt do that well in the USA when it came to chart positions, even tho they were hits. Toxic and Oops only peaked at 9, for example. She only started having better peaks with Blackout. So its difficult to measure her fame/success/popularity in the USA only using her singles peak from 99-04. Back then Britney was an album artist tbh even tho her songs became hits/iconic without peaking 1 on the Billboard hot 100.

This here proves:

Released on November 26, 2002, the album debuted on the Billboard 200 at number six, with first-week sales of 314,132.[58][59] This marks the highest opening sales week of Lopez's career.

[60] Throughout December, the album remained in the chart's top ten, and was later ranked by the magazine as the twelfth most successful album of 2002.[63][64] It sold 1.28 million copies within a month of release.[65]

According to Nielsen SoundScan, In the Zone sold 609,000 copies during its first week of availability in the United States, debuting atop of the Billboard 200 the week of December 6, 2003.[88][89] The album had the second highest debut sales of 2003 by a female artist (only behind Alicia Keys's The Diary of Alicia Keys), as well as the fifth highest debut sales of the year.[90][91] Spears also became the second female artist in Billboard's history to have four consecutive number-one albums behind Janet Jackson who held the most at the time with five. The album was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on December 16, 2003, for shipments of over two million copies in the United States.[92] 

4 minutes ago, Bundy said:

But wasnt Jenny from the block released a year before MATM? So how fair is comparing both when in 2003, Jenny from the block was already one year old and MATM was only released in mid october 2003 while Jenny from the block was already one year and one month old lol 

And we all know that even during Britneys massive fame and success, her singles didnt do that well in the USA when it came to chart positions, even tho they were hits. Toxic and Oops only peaked at 9, for example. She only started having better peaks with Blackout. So its difficult to measure her fame/success/popularity in the USA only using her singles peak from 99-04. Back then Britney was an album artist tbh even tho her songs became hits/iconic without peaking 1 on the Billboard hot 100.

This here proves:

Released on November 26, 2002, the album debuted on the Billboard 200 at number six, with first-week sales of 314,132.[58][59] This marks the highest opening sales week of Lopez's career.

[60] Throughout December, the album remained in the chart's top ten, and was later ranked by the magazine as the twelfth most successful album of 2002.[63][64] It sold 1.28 million copies within a month of release.[65]

According to Nielsen SoundScan, In the Zone sold 609,000 copies during its first week of availability in the United States, debuting atop of the Billboard 200 the week of December 6, 2003.[88][89] The album had the second highest debut sales of 2003 by a female artist (only behind Alicia Keys's The Diary of Alicia Keys), as well as the fifth highest debut sales of the year.[90][91] Spears also became the second female artist in Billboard's history to have four consecutive number-one albums behind Janet Jackson who held the most at the time with five. The album was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on December 16, 2003, for shipments of over two million copies in the United States.[92] 

The fact >300,000 sales warranted a #6 debut and Perry out here with #5 55k predictions. Tragic 

2 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

The fact >300,000 sales warranted a #6 debut and Perry out here with #5 55k predictions. Tragic 

So Perrys album is going to flop like Mileys younger now? Wow