Who Was The Bigger POP Culture Icon In 2003? Britney or JLO?

I don’t think Britney as a person was liked much in 03 a lot people turned on her and lost major deals and crossroads hurt her image... I just honestly think with jlo being a triple threat (actor, dancer, “singer” ) + her “I’m still Jenny..."  personality she is just automatically more appealing ... I love Britney but we gotta be honest that she wasn’t always on top... also it’s hard to compare jlo and Britney. Britney has always made music for kids & young teens . Jlo music has always been more adult pop/r&b

• Like 1
On 4/19/2020 at 11:08 PM, Lukas1896 said:

:leaving::byesmoke: Brit easily should be much higher than #20 and higher than J.Lo :overitkbye::byebitch:

THIS!!! Maybe 50Cent would have been 1 but Brit 2. THE KISS; In the Zone; Grown up Britney; **** Photoshoots.

J.Lo was already on the way down - big time. The singles from her 3rd album underperforming (appart from Jenny f t b), getting on everyones nerves with bennifer and gigli and her behavior (was even mocked on southpark) and thin voice. plus unretouched paparazzi-pictures aired that year.

• Love 1
Just now, breathe_on_me_toxic said:

THIS!!! Maybe 50Cent would have been 1 but Brit 2. THE KISS; In the Zone; Grown up Britney; **** Photoshoots.

J.Lo was allready on the way down big time. The singles from her 3rd album underpreforming (appart from Jenny f t b), getting on everyones nerves with bennifer and giggly and her behavior (wa even mocked on southpark) and thin voice. plus unretouched paparazzi-pictures aired that year.

Giggly :airpls: 

• Haha 1

I think there’s a lot of reasons that explain this. Based off the video, this was definitely prior to ITZ/Toxic and was probably still thought of as a “teeny bopper” bubblegum artist to the VH1 audience, where as J.Lo was a little older and appealed more to the VH1 audience. Back in that time, MTV was definitely more for teens and 20-somethings and VH1 was more for ppl in their 30s or older. So Britney’s videos weren’t played on VH1 as much. I think a certain part of the gp also thought at that point that she wasn’t gonna be around/popular much longer. Boy were they wrong. 

also, like you said, at that point I think Bennifer was a thing, and that was HUGE. Obnoxiously huge. So I’m sure that factored in. 

also, this list is crazy. Janet, Tina, and Aretha aren’t in the top 100... but J.Lo is at 15??? That makes zero sense. 

I think if this list were made today, both Britney and J.Lo would be on it, but J.Lo would rank lower and Britney would still probably be ranked around the same spot. But maybe higher, I mean when you factor in how huge “the breakdown” and paparazzi era was, plus the comeback, and the fact that she started the Las Vegas residency trend she definitely still one of the biggest pop culture icons. Not to mention how much her instagram was a talker about and Free Britney is becoming more mainstream. J.Lo was huge for like a 5 year period, she’s definitely still a big deal, but she’s never really come close to that peak again. Maybe doing hustlers and the Super Bowl was a mini peak again, but overall her music and film careers just aren’t all that big since the mid 2000s 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

I think there’s a lot of reasons that explain this. Based off the video, this was definitely prior to ITZ/Toxic and was probably still thought of as a “teeny bopper” bubblegum artist to the VH1 audience, where as J.Lo was a little older and appealed more to the VH1 audience. Back in that time, MTV was definitely more for teens and 20-somethings and VH1 was more for ppl in their 30s or older. So Britney’s videos weren’t played on VH1 as much. I think a certain part of the gp also thought at that point that she wasn’t gonna be around/popular much longer. Boy were they wrong. 

also, like you said, at that point I think Bennifer was a thing, and that was HUGE. Obnoxiously huge. So I’m sure that factored in. 

also, this list is crazy. Janet, Tina, and Aretha aren’t in the top 100... but J.Lo is at 15??? That makes zero sense. 

I think if this list were made today, both Britney and J.Lo would be on it, but J.Lo would rank lower and Britney would still probably be ranked around the same spot. But maybe higher, I mean when you factor in how huge “the breakdown” and paparazzi era was, plus the comeback, and the fact that she started the Las Vegas residency trend she definitely still one of the biggest pop culture icons. Not to mention how much her instagram was a talker about and Free Britney is becoming more mainstream. J.Lo was huge for like a 5 year period, she’s definitely still a big deal, but she’s never really come close to that peak again. Maybe doing hustlers and the Super Bowl was a mini peak again, but overall her music and film careers just aren’t all that big since the mid 2000s 

:mimiclap: the maturity and eloquence in this comment. Others wish :riri:

• Love 1