Disney debuts “The Little Mermaid” Live Action First Look

bbbsss

35 minutes ago, amiro1989 said:

Well, you can't make a statement like Halle shouldn't play Ariel and Queen Latifah (another black woman) should play Ursula, without having people raise the question as to why a black woman should play a vilain, and she can't play the main character.

I mean, not that I care about all of this, but seriously, I don't see the issue with someone being annoyed by these requests. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if someone voices that, I assume it comes from some kind of concern towards how black people are depicted in media. 

Also, if Queen Latifah played Ursula in the movie and was angry and jealous of a little white girl, it would be a weird comment in a live-action movie. Yes, if a movie steps out from the animation field into "reality" or "live-action" the context changes and changes have to be brought to the casting and the content so that situations like these are avoided. 

For people who have a problem with Halle as Ariel, skin color is a part of their reasoning! I feel it's a bit disingenuous to say the opposite. 

It is really not that deep, but okay. As you’ve said yourself, people are entitled to their own opinions and should be allowed to express it without someone dubbing them a racist. People are also not obliged to necessarily agree with something just because it is “politically correct”. In addition, if Disney is so concerned about the way black girls are being represented, they should be busy creating new characters with new story lines, instead of messing with the classics. My concern for the TLM casting has nothing to do with her skin color, but I just personally do not think she was the right fit for the role. Just like I said that Melissa McCarthy was a ****ty choice to play Ursula. I just generally find Halle to be very bland. I know that Zendaya was another contender and once it was announced I was rooting for her.

But it is what it is at this point and I am still perched for the movie. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, grovela said:

I have know idea how Halle is as an actress, she looks super pretty in the trailer, and I wouldn’t care if they cast someone of Iranian or Chinese descent.. or ANY race/background to play Ariel but I want BRIGHT RED HAIR :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile: 😂

I was expecting Rihanna Red…

• Love 5
  • Haha 1

Little mermaid is a beautiful classic thats been iconicly notalgic for its songs. Not to take away from this persons singing but my face from from :) to :( when she started singing. No spark and my old memories dont like being fd with. Why not create a new film when u wanna change everythig about it? A no for me. 

1 hour ago, bbbsss said:

It is really not that deep, but okay. As you’ve said yourself, people are entitled to their own opinions and should be allowed to express it without someone dubbing them a racist. People are also not obliged to necessarily agree with something just because it is “politically correct”. In addition, if Disney is so concerned about the way black girls are being represented, they should be busy creating new characters with new story lines, instead of messing with the classics. My concern for the TLM casting has nothing to do with her skin color, but I just personally do not think she was the right fit for the role. Just like I said that Melissa McCarthy was a ****ty choice to play Ursula. I just generally find Halle to be very bland. I know that Zendaya was another contender and once it was announced I was rooting for her.

But it is what it is at this point and I am still perched for the movie. 

Politically correct does not mean anything other than “I don’t want to make an effort to understand”.

“Messing with the classics”? Casting a black woman destroyed the movie, is that it? Like it messed up the original storyline how? I mean your words speak louder than you think.

Halle sings circles around Zendaya. She won, period.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, bbbsss said:

Disney's "The Little Mermaid" is coming back to theaters next year, with Halle Bailey bringing a live-action Ariel to the big screen for the first time, and the studio unveiled a sneak peek at the new film at its D23 Expo.

i am kinda sad. 
After loving the beauty and the beast live action. I was long expecting this video to come.... Little mermaid was like my child fav disney video ever! 

But, here are the things i disliked about the trailer:
Ariel has red hair - they could turned it into a little more red
Ariel has blue eyes, this girl has brown eyes, they could at least put a eye lens on Halle Bailey

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, amiro1989 said:

Politically correct does not mean anything other than “I don’t want to make an effort to understand”.

“Messing with the classics”? Casting a black woman destroyed the movie, is that it? Like it messed up the original storyline how? I mean your words speak louder than you think.

Halle sings circles around Zendaya. She won, period.

Please take this bullсrap elsewhere, sis. I am not the one and I will also not entertain this fake and pretentious “wokeness” you are trying to pull here. Everyone who disagrees is a racist and people are not allowed to express their opinions anymore. We got it. Next.

:begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye:

• Like 2

I have been so excited about this since it was announced. I looooove little mermaid and I am just so happy :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

I'm not excited for Melissa as Ursula but i hope she proves me wrong. 

I wish they did make her hair a more deep red but thats just me nit picking other than that I just know Halle is going to body this role and has that innocent  esque vibe about her that embodies Ariel. 

18 hours ago, that's hot y'all said:

WHERES OUR GIRL LILO AS ARIEL ?????

BNUO6H26VRCIVP2M4U3EYYG63M.jpg

depositphotos_104437276-stock-photo-actr

5d02ac7e2100003711f13e4a.jpeg?ops=scalef

Lindsay2.jpg?w=630&q=75

2017-03-16-linday-lohan-.jpg

There were so many good options that actually look like Ariel. Lindsay is also one of them. I am not racist nor I hate this actress that they picked, in fact I like much darked skin people and everything. It is the feeling for me with these Disney movies, that if I am going to watch everything the same I also want a real look a like character Ariel, at least the main character should look the same. Look what they did with Beauty And The Beast with Bella (Emma) they nailed it, because she is the real life Bella, but this is simply not it. I hope after watching it I will feel some kind emotion and something nostalgic, have to wait and see, but for now I am simply not happy with the choice of the main actress and can't get used to it, The Little Mermaid is my favourite Disney movie, so I wanted it to be perfect, plus Ariel did not had braids and her hair was more red :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I am totally in for casting Halle as Ariel! In fact I am very excited and The Little Mermaid is my most favorite Disney film and I remember hoping to it’s live adaptation. Since the announcement, I have been always watching out about the updates or when are they dropping the trailer – – – but now that the teaser is here, I am not teased and I am a little underwhelmed.  :boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:

1 hour ago, bbbsss said:

Please take this bullсrap elsewhere, sis. I am not the one and I will also not entertain this fake and pretentious “wokeness” you are trying to pull here. Everyone who disagrees is a racist and people are not allowed to express their opinions anymore. We got it. Next.

:begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye:

"Wokeness". More like decency. 

I never called you a racist, I'm saying what you are saying is problematic. You filled in the blanks. Also, it's an interesting way of functioning; as soon as you are challenged about your perspective, "Boo hoo, I don't want to hear it, you are woke and terrible, stop talking". 

• Love 2

The subtle racism is loud in this thread :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised: the issue isn’t with the actress herself but with her hair? spacer.png

also regardless of whether the agenda was to be woke or not, we already have the original with a white cartoon. No one is forcing you guys to stop watching the original or to watch this movie. Representation matters and we already have TONS of movies with white leads and cartoons. I’m of Mexican descent so I wish there was more representation from Latin/Hispanic artists, but I’ll take what I can get. 

If Chloe couldn’t sing I would say that they were doing it for diversity purposes but she CAN sing. I’m not a fan of hers at all because I haven’t taken the time of day to listen to her music, but from what I have heard, she can sing. Personally, I would’ve liked to see Tinashe in the role because she deserves her big break, but I’m sure Chloe is going to do a fine job 

• Love 6
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block