Disney debuts “The Little Mermaid” Live Action First Look

bbbsss

15 minutes ago, cocodeluxe said:

Looks awful :byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette:

Always thought that Ariana in her Cat Valentine look would suit that role 

Ariana would have been an excellent choice. She’s got the looks, the voice and the actual acting experience. If Disney wanted to be inclusive, they should’ve cast Queen Latifah as Ursula. 

spacer.png

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, bbbsss said:

Someone has leaked the full “Part of your world” scene from the movie that was shown at the Disney expo last night. It’s on instagram, but I won’t post any links. Halle sounds great, but she made her vocals sound more rnb like. The scene itself is beautiful though! 

I just seen it!!! I’m so ready :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

15 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Ariel is literally a creature that's half human, half fish. She literally has mammalian and fish characteristics. The biological science of a mermaid doesn't make sense. She lives in an English speaking monarchy, that also has singing fish and magic.

...if you can suspend your disbelief on the concept of musical fish human magic monarch mermaid, but you can't suspend your disbelief at BLACK musical fish human magic monarch mermaid, because THATs unrealistic, maybe you should recognise...

The film looks fab and she sounds fab, and this will more than likely be a more interesting remake.

Literally not one person has mentioned her race or skin color in this thread. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, bbbsss said:

Literally not one person has mentioned her race or skin color in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, bbbsss said:

oh there we go

:tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

Well, you can't make a statement like Halle shouldn't play Ariel and Queen Latifah (another black woman) should play Ursula, without having people raise the question as to why a black woman should play a vilain, and she can't play the main character.

I mean, not that I care about all of this, but seriously, I don't see the issue with someone being annoyed by these requests. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and if someone voices that, I assume it comes from some kind of concern towards how black people are depicted in media. 

Also, if Queen Latifah played Ursula in the movie and was angry and jealous of a little white girl, it would be a weird comment in a live-action movie. Yes, if a movie steps out from the animation field into "reality" or "live-action" the context changes and changes have to be brought to the casting and the content so that situations like these are avoided. 

For people who have a problem with Halle as Ariel, skin color is a part of their reasoning! I feel it's a bit disingenuous to say the opposite. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block