The New York Times: Controlling Britney Spears (Framing Britney Spears Part 2) - DISCUSSION THREAD

48 minutes ago, amiro1989 said:

I think for someone that was known for a fearless performer to be seen as a victim of terrible organized scheme, must hit hard at home. I think Britney is an incredible person for enduring all of this, but she strikes me as a proud person, and I think for anyone who is proud, you wouldn't want people to start knowing everything that you have endured. I hope she doesn't see it as something humiliating but rather, liberating. 

While I do like Sam, I do think he's part of the toxic positivity movement. Just always be happy or "choose to be happy". I understand the need to stay positive to get out of this situation, but also, there's a fair share of horror that Britney must have dissociated from. Like, pretty sure that Britney must be a bit dissociated from events surrounding her life right now. She has endured a **** load of trauma. 

I think it's a given that Britney was raised in a very conservative environment, and I think that conservative upbringing has a share of shame learning in it. I think this is where her brain goes when she sees all of this out there. It's like being a victim is wrong, when in fact, NO, it's not. You have been abused, and used. 

Beautifully said. All of it.

My first thought/response is always "She doesn't want to identify as a victim!" however the only reason I think that was because of her FTR interview. But it's been over a decade since she's said those things about not wanting people to feel sorry for her. And that was before she endured the 13 years of living under the conservatorship. Who knows what has changed or resurfaced for her after all these years? 

She does seem to be someone who has an immense amount of strength emotionally, physically, mentally.... but we could be projecting? We simply don't know unless she tells us herself.

It's also hard to picture her parading herself around on some sort of sympathy press tour, turning her tears on in the way you could picture some of these other public figures doing.

Maybe there is something to be said about keeping certain things private?

But ultimately you're right, it's certainly not wrong to be a victim. And she hopefully is doing whatever is best for her to help her heal from it.

:sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 5
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Naes614 said:

So when it airs live on Netflix it will be added to Hulu? I don't have to wait a damn day? lol

The Netflix one (Britney vs Spears) is premiering on Netflix (Worldwide) on the 28th. The Sequel to Framing Britney Spears, Controlling Britney Spears is premiering in less than 8 hours on FX and Hulu 😎

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, oscar0 said:

It's a shame how many here seem aroused by this level of exposure to the private life of someone they supposedly love unconditionally. Really disgusting.

It's literally exposing the awful, abusive, illegal things that she endured for 13 years. I can't imagine it's easy for her, and yeah, it's gotta hurt. 

But justice is never painless. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2