This Day in Pop: Christina Aguilera releases "Bionic"

I feel like this album is incredibly too long. I tried to revisit it again the other night and I feel like Bionic doesn’t know what it wants to be. It’s kind of all over the place. I think Xtina is one of the best voices of our time, but I feel like her music is just continually a miss for me. There are good songs on this album for sure. Not Myself Tonight is a great song and I love the video too! I just feel like they could’ve narrowed down the track list a lot. So many of the songs were confusing to me. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

In my opinion, the album was truly ahead of its time. I enjoy it more than anything else that her peers released around that time. It sounds fresher than Femme Fatale, Animal + Cannibal, The Fame/The Fame Monster, Teenage Dream, All I Ever Wanted... and the list goes on. In fact, every time I listen to it I like it more.

Christina was already exploring electro music during Keeps Gettin' Better (2008) and even remade Genie and Beautiful in that style. She was the first mainstream artist to team up with Sia and Nicki Minaj. This was a project close to her heart that she was clearly planning way before 2010.

The label f!cked her up so much with the creative direction but it still shines through what she was trying to do.

From the visuals to the concept of the album, it's such a delight. Eye and ear candy. :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

It doesn't get old because the ballads are just simple, beautiful and very emotional, the more experimental tracks sound nothing like any other pop girl was doing; The upbeat songs are fun and they don't bring me back to 2010 because they are nothing like it. Tik Tok, Till The World Ends and On The Floor, on the other hand... I cringe sometimes. :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

Btw, Britney has told several times that she loves Woohoo. She even played it for the dancing classes she was doing in 2016. I like to imagine we could've seen candids of Brit buying the album if she hadn't been under a conservatorship.

tumblr_lhm94648FM1qb63pk.jpg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

Would you say "Bionic" is her "Blackout"? :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

No, I don't think so. Sadly, 'Bionic' didn't have such an impact when it came out. Also, it doesn't exert any influence the way 'Blackout' still does. It could've been, but the comparisons to Gaga and Madonna really killed the whole vibe.

11 hours ago, Midnight said:

Bionic is Christina Aguilera's sixth studio album. It was released on June 4, 2010. The album debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 and number one in the UK. It has sold over 1.15 million tracks in the United States and is certified Gold.

The album produced four singles "Not Myself Tonight," "Woohoo," "You Lost Me" and " I Hate Boys." However, only "Not Myself Tonight" and "You Lost Me" had music videos recorded and "I Hate Boys" was released exclusively in Oceania.

Bionic was inspired by Christina's love of electronic subgenres and described as futurepop by many critics. In a recent interview she stated that Bionic is "all about being unabashedly yourself."

Exhale, is Bionic still ahead of it's time? Let's celebrate!

What's your favorite track from this electropop masterpiece?

CAB.JPG.c13d7228a0981feb514efe70b9c55ea2.JPG

So happy I was able to finally receive this vinyl a few months ago! My favorite tracks are definitely Birds of Prey and Not Myself Tonight.

V is for Vanity.

Thank you mom and dad. 

And now I take myself to be my lawfully wedded *****.

Who owns the throne?

Max: you do mommy..

I have to say The gaga diss track bobblehead is actually pretty epic especially describing as a nightmare on elm street, since everyday was like Halloween for gaga at that time..

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

Bionic was ahead of it's time...according to Xtina. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

I always thought Bionic should have been a double disc album. As a whole, it wasn't cohesive but one disc would have the dance, more top 40 friendly tracks and the second disc would have the more experimental material. Back when burning CDs was a thing, I made my own double disc version. 

Disc 1

1. Bionic
  2. Vanity
  3. Not Myself Tonight
  4. You Lost Me
  5. I Am
  6. Woohoo
  7. Prima Donna
  8. Desnudate
  9. Morning Dessert (Intro)
  10. S/ex for Breakfast
  11. Lift Me Up
  12.  I Am (stripped)

Disc 2

1. Birds of Prey
  2. Monday Morning
  3. Elastic Love
  4. Little Dreamer
  5. Love & Glamour (Intro)
  6. Glam
  7. My Girls
  8. Bobblehead
  9. I Hate Boys
  10. My Heart (Intro)
  11. Stronger than Ever
  12. All I Need

Especially since she had already done it with the previous album 'Back to Basics'. 

• Content Curators
15 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

Do you think Christina could go the more ballad driven route that Adele and Sam Smith have? Or do you think she's too known as a dancing, singing live pop star that the audience wouldn't want just a ballads girl? 

I think she should go more the ballad route, the dance music hasn't really worked for her (good example Bionic) 

Lotus for example is full of dance tracks and it also flopped, so I think people don't care to see Xtina doing that type of music.

I wanna be there when you touch fire

• Content Curators
10 hours ago, Style. said:

Nicki was a beast in that time of her career and her verse on Wohoo feels flat, forgettable and too short. The song is too long. :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised:

:unreal_omg_no_way_shocked_wow_surprised: I love her verse

Spoiler

it's actually the only reason I like wohoo :selenerz_selena_crying_tears_sad:

• Haha 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block