How did you interpret Britney shaving her head at the time and has your opinion changed?

Goten21

I think I was 7/8 at the time, so I didn't fully grasp what was going on. I remember constantly seeing her on the news. Although I never really thought she was "crazy", but I remember feeling the sense that this woman is in some sort of distress and needed help. It sucks looking back because if I could've felt that as a child, why couldn't the media see that as well?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a way of killing Britney Spears the Brand. Britney Spears the Brand was perfect, no blemishes, and had the perfect appearance, always to be tidy and with make up on.

Britney the human was hurting, was feeling suffocated, was being ignored, mocked, was being denied her artistry, her voice and was not perfect in any means - especially appearance wise - so the brand had to go.

Maybe that's why I was excited about the Gimme More concept of Dark Haired Britney ********* Blonde Britney

In August last year, the Jack Black actor shaved his own head and posted this video on Instagram. People were very supportive of this, wrote him kind comments. But some of course wrote about Britney Spears and did it in an offensive manner. I liked only one comment, in which a person wrote that for some reason when Britney shaved bald, everyone began to call her crazy, and other people can shave and for them it is normal. These are the double standards.

I was 10. I remember seeing it on TV and of course I was shocked (because I've loved her since I was little) but couldn't understand what was going on.

I don't remember ever making fun of it. 

But I understand people who did and feel sorry about it now. 

Well, thanks to cship I guess we don't know what was she really going through. They never let her explain or write that mystery book she said she WANTS to write one day. Yes there was For The Record, but I think it was too early for her to tell her story. 2021, maybe?...

I was 17 with a son only a couple months younger than jj... I remember coming home and my brother in law racing down the stairs as fast as he could with a huge smile on his face to tell me britney was bald

I think I was in disbelief at first and then a bit shocked

I didn't understand it. I thought she needed help. I felt so sad for her. Never thought she was crazy but almost everyone I knew did

Looking back, I believe the **** story, to a certain degree. I think it was also a bit of a **** you to everyone too

I was 17 the time and thought it was a really bad *** way to flip off all of her critics, which I guess it was. She was taking ownership of her image and her body, which I love. I never really interpreted it as a sign of mental illness and even if it was (which Britney herself denies),  the narrative that she was insane and the resulting mockery of it, which continues today, was disgusting.

I honestly thought it was no big deal, just a hair style.I still think it's no big deal.The media loves to blow everything out of proportion when it comes to Britney to keep up with their "crazy" narrative.Like the time she was photographed barefoot leaving court because her feet were prob. killing her being in heels all day.Also,when she couldn't remember what car she arrived in, which was perfectly logical, given that her bodyguards usually drive her around and paps were hounding her.The comment section was filled with statements about how Britney snapped and Britney is going off the rails again.

I found out on the internet, i was 16 not sure if it was Breatheheavy or Hey Britney forum. I was shocked but i thought she was angry at the family and team/record company and wanted to sabotage her image. As I recall, she had pressure to finish an album in a certain period of time and i think she just wanted to quit her career.

She was a mother of 2 who was shaving her hair in front of dozens of cameras, and the world, she had totally snapped! Not criticizing Britney, but it was obviously a sign that she had had it. 

Years later, I retain the same opinion, but with some changes! I think that she was also in rebellion mode, as well as wanted to take a break from her career, at the time!

I thought she was doing it to change her image. The way she was looking at the window, went after paparazzi. I took it as a big "eff you". Then, when we saw her with her mom and the blond wig, I saw the change in her demeanor. I think what her mom thinks about her rules her perception of herself. So, Britney is isolated and alone, her mother doesn't brag on her on social media as much as she used to - I bet this affects her self-esteem. 

ugh i remember it vividly.....

I was 11 or 12 and would wake up before school every day to feast my eyes on TMZ & X17's videos of her. There was literally new news/pics of her almost every day.

When I saw the head shaving pics, I honestly thought it was fake. Remember when there'd be crazy tabloids about celebrities like, "MICHAEL JACKSON MARRIES PET MONKEY"

When I realized it was true, I thought it made her pretty bad***.

I think she looks beautiful in those pics, they are so powerful. 

I was in high school and I can honestly say that I didn’t think she was crazy because of it but I moreso thought she was in a bad place mentally. I definitely got the shock factor though since her hair was such a big part of her image, I understood why people were so shocked. She looked really relieved when she shaved it off too in the barbershop pics.

It was like a Hollywood mystery moment.

Archived