Is Mood Ring (By Demand) an official Britney Spears single?

Lonely2001

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rasim.cesko said:

Yeah, according to Wikipedia it is. But they also say It Should Be Easy is a single. I mean it was sent to Italian radios but it didn't have any kind of release: physical or digital. But I think that Mood Ring is Glory's third single.

They also claim Taylor’s Getaway Car was a single from Reputation :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

Nowadays in the age of digital/streaming music, the term "singles" seems to be more a loose term. I feel like the line between official singles, promo singles, hype singles, etc. are so blurred, lol. Look at Madonna's Madame X era, there were several songs that got the music video treatment, that weren't really "singles" per se. It's all so confusing LOL.  

That all being said, I guess "Mood Ring" would fall under the promo single category. :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

2 hours ago, rasim.cesko said:

And what do you think, will Swimming In The Stars be Glory's fourth single or a non-album single. Myb they will add it to the official album tracklist like they did with Mood Ring...

Releasing the new artwork + SWITS makes me think the whole thing is ramping up to a Glory vinyl re-release for Urban which will feature all the new photo shoots/tracks

5 hours ago, rasim.cesko said:

Yeah, it didn't have a video but it was sent to Italian radios. I mean if we consider that it was sent to Italian radios and have an official digital release it is an official single.

5 hours ago, rasim.cesko said:

The only problem is that SP was sent to radios and Mood Ring is sent to radios only in Italy. But yeah, Mood Ring is defenitely Glory's third single.

I think it’s just about bureaucracy, because as an Italian who lives in Italy I’ve never heard Mood Ring or ISBE while listening to the radio! NEVER!

And also my friends who know I’m a stan never told me “hey there was Britney on the radio”... the last time I’ve listened to one of her songs from the radio it was Scream&Shout and TTWE before that

It was definitely a "single" but there are different types of singles (promotional, radio, etc). It sounds like this was just a promotional single - no video and it wasn't sent to radio outside of one county. But it was definitely a release aka a single. Not many singles have physical releases anymore so it doesn't have to have one. But it had a digital remix EP.

I feel like it was really more of just a gift to the fans bc we loved that one specific song so much vs. trying to sell an album, I mean the Glory "re-release" was only digital and it was 4 years later. It feels like Swimming In The Stars is a follow-up fan gift bc we loved Mood Ring and supported it so much.

9 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

That's  Where You Take Me and Anticipating definitely were (they even got a music video played on TV, according to @Roxxy and many others).

Unusual You, I'm not so sure, I think that was only sent to radio? :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

I've researched it a bit more and found a lot of sources that confirm that Unusual You is an official Britney Spears single released regionaly in Australia and New Zeland.

Here are some links that confirm that:

https://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Britney+Spears&titel=Unusual+You&cat=s

https://www.discogs.com/Britney-Spears-Unusual-You/release/1936757

The B-side was Shattered glas and the cat number is: Jive 86974 78842

I don't know why most people don't consider these three singles as official Britney singles just because they were released regionaly. And the BS Wikipedia page has a lot of mistakes. They put ISBE as the third BJ single but that song was only sent to radios in Italy, without any physical or digital release but they don't put TWYTM and Unusual You...

8 hours ago, rasim.cesko said:

I've researched it a bit more and found a lot of sources that confirm that Unusual You is an official Britney Spears single released regionaly in Australia and New Zeland.

Here are some links that confirm that:

https://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Britney+Spears&titel=Unusual+You&cat=s

https://www.discogs.com/Britney-Spears-Unusual-You/release/1936757

The B-side was Shattered glas and the cat number is: Jive 86974 78842

I don't know why most people don't consider these three singles as official Britney singles just because they were released regionaly. And the BS Wikipedia page has a lot of mistakes. They put ISBE as the third BJ single but that song was only sent to radios in Italy, without any physical or digital release but they don't put TWYTM and Unusual You...

Well, tbh it's the first time I see the Unusual You cover, so I don't really know what's the story behind it. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Only people from there could tell us if they were able to buy it. I had heard that it was announced to be a single for France and the US, yet this release says it's for Australia and New Zealand, so I don't know :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

The ISBE "single" was specified by her team to be exclusively for night clubs, so I think the Wikipedia page is wrong for considering it an official single, especially when many songs from Britney Jean were sent to radio for testing, and not necessarily because they were singles.

Edit: so this other entry for Unusual You says it's fanmade, but I don't know if they're talking about the single itself, or just that format

https://www.discogs.com/Britney-Spears-Unusual-You/release/5088827

It's just kind of tricky, because back then with That's Where You Take Me, we didn't have official media to confirm this kind of stuff, but in 2009 we definitely had, so it would be strange that an official release like this would pass unnoticed. 

3 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well, tbh it's the first time I see the Unusual You cover, so I don't really know what's the story behind it. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Only people from there could tell us if they were able to buy it. I had heard that it was announced to be a single for France and the US, yet this release says it's for Australia and New Zealand, so I don't know :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

The ISBE "single" was specified by her team to be exclusively for night clubs, so I think the Wikipedia page is wrong for considering it an official single, especially when many songs from Britney Jean were sent to radio for testing, and not necessarily because they were singles.

Edit: so this other entry for Unusual You says it's fanmade, but I don't know if they're talking about the single itself, or just that format

https://www.discogs.com/Britney-Spears-Unusual-You/release/5088827

It's just kind of tricky, because back then with That's Where You Take Me, we didn't have official media to confirm this kind of stuff, but in 2009 we definitely had, so it would be strange that an official release like this would pass unnoticed. 

I think it's the format because look at the back of the single (I mean the photo lol) the tracklist is only Unusual You without Shattered Glass as a B-side. I mean I am not 100% sure that it is an official single but I mean if you look up the cat number there are a lot of sites that show you up this single. Who would know...

Going by the alleged singles in this topic thus far...

Anticipating - This is 100% a single. It had a physical release. Enough said.

That's Where You Take Me - I'm on the fence with this one as very little is known other than what is recorded on discogs, I've never seen a physical copy anywhere, so I'm highly dubious if it exists. I have seen the very LQ video for it though so I'm under the impression that maybe it was considered to be an Asian promo release to coincide with a full Asian leg of the DWAD tour and plans were scrapped before even promo CDs were made.

Unusual You - Absolutely fake. There's never been a physical copy available to buy anywhere. The artwork is shoddy at best (for example, the linear notes on the 2-track 'single' on Discogs has "Written by" multiple times in places it never would be used and the silhouette picture on the insert is pixelated more than Minecraft). This would have been all brought about because a lot of fans desperately wanted Unusual You as Circus' fourth single, especially when they felt cheated by getting Radar instead. Also, it charted in Australia as Shattered Glass, Kill The Lights etc charted alone too as they would have been bought or streamed as a separate entity rather than the entire Circus album. Nothing more.

It Should Be Easy - Remixes were commissioned for this, Alien and Tik Tik Boom, as all three were considered for future singles from Britney Jean. Britney wasn't going to promote them the 'conventional way' because her time was filled up with the residency. Certain DJs would have had access to these remixes to test the waters to see if one or more gained traction. They didn't, so no more money was invested into the project. Ergo, It Should Be Easy would only be deemed as a planned single, in the same vein as the aforementioned two others.

Mood Ring (By Demand) - This was a gift to the fans, but in the same breath it was delivered akin to how Slumber Party was (minus a video). Could easily be fairly considered as Glory's third single.

Swimming In The Stars - At this moment in time, it is a limited edition promotional tactic exclusive to one website. As it stands, this is not a single whatsoever.

Archived