why do knee stans think it’s edgy to bash on ‘toxic’ when it’s literally top 3 amongst her entire catalogue?

DignifiedLove

not only is toxic a part of her magnum opus but it’s literally top 5 greatest pop songs of the century yet i still see fake-edgy britney stans pretend to act like it’s nowhere near her best.  wKySbEM.gif well lemme tell you for whoever thinks that is clearly delusional and should have their stan card revoked. now get to work ***** and stream the greatest pop song of the 21st century. wKySbEM.gif 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DignifiedLove said:

britney stans pretend to act like it’s nowhere near her best.

Do they though? I think it's common knowledge that it's a good song with a great video and had huge commercial success. She was truly at the top of her game at the time and the song is known as a highlight of her discography. 

That said, I think stans justifiably get a little frustrated knowing that there are many other moments in her career where she created pop magic, but most are not as well known in the general public. For commoners, the song has become synonymous with her musical style, even though stans know full well that she's shown more dimension before and since then. After so many years of ups and downs, the stans that remain today have a shared appreciation for B in all of her many forms (polished or messy); So in a sense, some stans feel that to say that Toxic is your fav is to say that only primeney is worthy. For Britney connoisseurs, it's almost considered too easy to stan the brief moment in her career where things were essentially perfect, not only because it's basic, but because it's stands against the unconditional, through thick or thin support our stan cards are base on. 

Also, I don't want to say the song is overplayed, because there's no such thing as overplaying a b-record but they do still play it everywhere so that is a factor. 

I feel like this thread was specifically made to address me because I must've said that I'm too keen on "Toxic" like a billion times on Exhale. :gtfo: There's a difference between what I consider best and what I consider my favorites. For example, I acknowledge that "Ray of Light" is probably Madonna's best album, but it's not even in my top 5. I acknowledge that Lorde's "Melodrama" is a better album than "Pure Heroine", but I still prefer the latter. I acknowledge that "Teenage Dream" is Katy Perry's magnum opus, but I prefer "PRISM". I acknowledge that "The Fame Monster" is Lady Gaga's magnum opus, but I still prefer "Born This Way" and "ARTPOP". There's a clear difference. :byesmoke: I've been liking "Toxic" more and more these days, but it's still nowhere near my top 30 Britney songs. Guess I'm trying to be edgy. :miley:

Much of tre success of the song is due to the music video, but its still a great af pop song. Baby, Oops, Toxic, Womanizer, Gimme More and Circus, for me, are songs that no matter how much time it passes they will always be reference to the pure pop perfection formula :bop:

But sitll, the ones who bash Toxic are the ones who are just sick of it. Its what GP usually knows Britney for and its her most streamed song so just deal with it I guess  :whatitellu:

Love it or hate it, it still won a Grammy. It won a Teen Choice Award. It's a Global #1. It's a Billboard Pop Songs and Digital Songs #1. It's a UK #1, a Canadian #1, an Australian #1, a European Hot 100 #1, a US Top 10. It has an iconic music video. More streams on Spotify. More views on Youtube. More digital sales. And Britney's personal fave.

Break the Ice can't relate.

britney spears wink GIF

• Super Mods

The issue is not about hating the song, I think all the fans agree it’s a landmark in her career and no one can deny its masterpiece and video but it’s become the leather jacket where people lazily pick that to appear cool and edgy while being “relatable” because it’s Britney Spears. It’s so annoying to hear “omg I love Toxic! That’s like the only good song she makes” because they know it’s practically universally accepted as her “I’m cool” song. Everyone reacts differently to her other songs but everyone thinks she did that with Toxic and for me, I think it’s a slap in the face for someone who has achieved so much and who’s works are so diverse that she can’t possibly be dwindled down to just being known for that one song.

22 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

The issue is not about hating the song, I think all the fans agree it’s a landmark in her career and no one can deny its masterpiece and video but it’s become the leather jacket where people lazily pick that to appear cool and edgy while being “relatable” because it’s Britney Spears. It’s so annoying to hear “omg I love Toxic! That’s like the only good song she makes” because they know it’s practically universally accepted as her “I’m cool” song. Everyone reacts differently to her other songs but everyone thinks she did that with Toxic and for me, I think it’s a slap in the face for someone who has achieved so much and who’s works are so diverse that she can’t possibly be dwindled down to just being known for that one song.

Agreed. If that were truly the case, I get it. No discussion needed. But puppy, not everyone thinks that tho. Hehe. There are actually some fans who think Toxic is not a masterpiece and is not one of her best and is not really that good. You see the difference with how you (and i) view the song is different than the others. You, you're just over it. I get that. Understandable. I feel the same way. But you're not denying the greatness. I'm not denying the greatness. We're just annoyed by it at this point in our Britney stan lives. But like I said, there are some fans who actually believe that it's, like, second to songs like Break the Ice which i find totally absurd. This isn't even about taste anymore. It's just wrong. Period. :ehum:

We're certainly not forcing them to like or acknowledge Toxic but we can (or should) judge them atleast for their.... i won't even say it. :cuteneylaugh:

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

Agreed. If that were truly the case, I get it. No discussion needed. But puppy, not everyone thinks that tho. Hehe. There are actually some fans who think Toxic is not a masterpiece and is not one of her best and is not really that good. You see the difference with how you (and i) view the song is different than the others. You, you're just over it. I get that. Understandable. I feel the same way. But you're not denying the greatness. I'm not denying the greatness. We're just annoyed by it at this point in our Britney stan lives. But like I said, there are some fans who actually believe that it's, like, second to songs like Break the Ice which i find totally absurd. This isn't even about taste anymore. It's just wrong. Period. :ehum:

We're certainly not forcing them to like or acknowledge Toxic but we can (or should) judge them atleast for their.... i won't even say it. :cuteneylaugh:

I’m guessing I’m REALLY just over anything  Toxic at point because it’s gotten to the point where it is toxic! :quirkney: maybe I should avoid anything Toxic related because at this point I can’t even appreciate it anymore because it’s that TOXIC and now I realized I’ve mentioned Toxic in this response than in the last decade lmao :embarrassney: I’m a hazard to myself :pieceofwhat:

7 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

I’m guessing I’m REALLY just over anything  Toxic at point because it’s gotten to the point where it is toxic! :quirkney: maybe I should avoid anything Toxic related because at this point I can’t even appreciate it anymore because it’s that TOXIC and now I realized I’ve mentioned Toxic in this response than in the last decade lmao :embarrassney: I’m a hazard to myself :pieceofwhat:

Did you just say... you're a hazard to yourself? Oh no! I won't let you get you, puppy! You're your own worst enemy! It's bad when you annoy yourself! So irritating~

pokemon aww GIF

• Super Mods
13 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Did you just say... you're a hazard to yourself? Oh no! I won't let you get you, puppy! You're your own worst enemy! It's bad when you annoy yourself! So irritating~

pokemon aww GIF

I know right? I’m a Britney stan. I need to be stronger than yesterday :mhm:

9 minutes ago, Lil-Jay said:

It's not overplayed. It's just that her other songs are underplayed

:ohmygawd::gaspney:

You know what! You're right! OMG!!! Toxic only peaked at #10 on Radio Songs. It couldn't have been overplayed then. And certainly couldn't have been overplayed now - because it's a 16 year old song.

Our (fans) perception is distorted because we are the ones who overplayed it in the past by being so obsessed and captivated by it and watching the music video over and over again on the Greatest Hits: My Prerogative DVD! Totally spot on

Archived