why do knee stans think it’s edgy to bash on ‘toxic’ when it’s literally top 3 amongst her entire catalogue?

DignifiedLove

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

Waahhh? I don't get it...

psychadelic GIF

I thought you were making a Pink reference tho...

I was, but I’m not a Pink stan but a Britney stan ya know. I should fill myself with only positivity not toxicity oh my god there I go again. You see what I mean? Lol

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

:ohmygawd::gaspney:

You know what! You're right! OMG!!! Toxic only peaked at #10 on Radio Songs. It couldn't have been overplayed then. And certainly couldn't have been overplayed now - because it's a 16 year old song.

Our (fans) perception is distorted because we are the ones who overplayed it in the past by being so obsessed and captivated by it and watching the music video over and over again on the Greatest Hits: My Prerogative DVD! Totally spot on

No it is a little overplayed. When I worked at Arbys (dark times) they played the radio, and that was the only Britney song to ever get played

5 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I feel like this thread was specifically made to address me because I must've said that I'm too keen on "Toxic" like a billion times on Exhale. :gtfo: There's a difference between what I consider best and what I consider my favorites. For example, I acknowledge that "Ray of Light" is probably Madonna's best album, but it's not even in my top 5. I acknowledge that Lorde's "Melodrama" is a better album than "Pure Heroine", but I still prefer the latter. I acknowledge that "Teenage Dream" is Katy Perry's magnum opus, but I prefer "PRISM". I acknowledge that "The Fame Monster" is Lady Gaga's magnum opus, but I still prefer "Born This Way" and "ARTPOP". There's a clear difference. :byesmoke: I've been liking "Toxic" more and more these days, but it's still nowhere near my top 30 Britney songs. Guess I'm trying to be edgy. :miley:

Honestly, same. Especially with Madonna's Ray of Light. I think it is overhyped to be honest. And dw it isn't """"edgy"""" or "trying to be hipster" if you aren't a huge fan of a famous song :bwink:

Tbh I'm not a huge fan of Madonna's "Like a Virgin" (arguably her signature) or Kylie's "Can't Get You Out of My Head"

4 hours ago, KylieLanguage said:

No it is a little overplayed. When I worked at Arbys (dark times) they played the radio, and that was the only Britney song to ever get played

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's literally overplayed (not possible unless you're talking about 2004 and you were listening to a Top 40 radio station where Toxic went to #1 and is Britney's home turf - that case it is overplayed), but more a testament to the song being a timeless bop that teens of Gen Z can get into. Which is probably the reason why DJs are playing it years after it's release. As previously discussed by puppy, it is problematic, yes, because she has so many other timeless bops. But the tea is, Toxic is the only "cool" Britney song that the gp accepts today. Hehe.

I think fans say that because they are tired of "Toxic" being almost a synonym for Britney, when in fact we all know very well that her whole discography is huge and quite impeccable, so it's frustrating and they start talking **** about it just so they can raise some eyebrows and caught people's attention so they can at least mention that she has a ton of other cool music.

But saying that "Toxic" is a bad or even an OK song is just delusional. Do not paying attention to those.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

Do they though? I think it's common knowledge that it's a good song with a great video and had huge commercial success. She was truly at the top of her game at the time and the song is known as a highlight of her discography. 

That said, I think stans justifiably get a little frustrated knowing that there are many other moments in her career where she created pop magic, but most are not as well known in the general public. For commoners, the song has become synonymous with her musical style, even though stans know full well that she's shown more dimension before and since then. After so many years of ups and downs, the stans that remain today have a shared appreciation for B in all of her many forms (polished or messy); So in a sense, some stans feel that to say that Toxic is your fav is to say that only primeney is worthy. For Britney connoisseurs, it's almost considered too easy to stan the brief moment in her career where things were essentially perfect, not only because it's basic, but because it's stands against the unconditional, through thick or thin support our stan cards are base on. 

Also, I don't want to say the song is overplayed, because there's no such thing as overplaying a b-record but they do still play it everywhere so that is a factor. 

girl if u think i'm reading all that... wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:13 AM, Fab britney said:

Tbh for me I’m just tired of it. There’s moments I can really enjoy it but honestly I’m just so used to it at this point that it sounds flat when I listen to it or I get bored. It is an amazing song tho I am not denying that and it it’s one of her best for sure 

reported. one simply does not say toxic sounds flat and thinks they can get away with it. it's SCIENCE. wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, Lorenzo said:

I feel like most fans tend to hate their fave’s signature songs. For example I see a lot of Beyoncé stans hating on IASF, which is probably her most iconic era. Also Madonna stans tend to hate on True Blue, Mariah fans hate on Music Box etc. 

idk about that. fans/stans tend to acknowledge their fave's signature material when something is actually good except amongst the britney stans who want to be edgy and claim toxic isn't all that when it's literally a 3:19 masterpiece, start to end, that anyone would kill to have. fortunately, all of britney's signature songs are actually masterpieces (maybe with the exception of 'work *****'.) bey can't relate.  wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:40 AM, PokemonSpears said:

Same for Britney Jean :beynah:

justice for hold on tight and brightest morning star wKySbEM.gif

On 3/10/2020 at 10:51 AM, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

I can already see the:

"bReAk ThE iCe DeSeRvEd ToXiC's SuCcEsS iTs ClEaRlY a BeTtEr SoNg" 

Spongebob Mocking GIF by Chrisanthy Stotis

literally spill omg break the ice fanatics are the worst and clearly deaf wKySbEM.gif she can keep dreaming though wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I feel like this thread was specifically made to address me because I must've said that I'm too keen on "Toxic" like a billion times on Exhale. :gtfo: There's a difference between what I consider best and what I consider my favorites. For example, I acknowledge that "Ray of Light" is probably Madonna's best album, but it's not even in my top 5. I acknowledge that Lorde's "Melodrama" is a better album than "Pure Heroine", but I still prefer the latter. I acknowledge that "Teenage Dream" is Katy Perry's magnum opus, but I prefer "PRISM". I acknowledge that "The Fame Monster" is Lady Gaga's magnum opus, but I still prefer "Born This Way" and "ARTPOP". There's a clear difference. :byesmoke: I've been liking "Toxic" more and more these days, but it's still nowhere near my top 30 Britney songs. Guess I'm trying to be edgy. :miley:

i literally wasn't but go off wKySbEM.gif it just means you have really **** taste wKySbEM.gif go call the police, go call the governor wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, Hungry Hun said:

Much of tre success of the song is due to the music video, but its still a great af pop song. Baby, Oops, Toxic, Womanizer, Gimme More and Circus, for me, are songs that no matter how much time it passes they will always be reference to the pure pop perfection formula :bop:

But sitll, the ones who bash Toxic are the ones who are just sick of it. Its what GP usually knows Britney for and its her most streamed song so just deal with it I guess  :whatitellu:

"most of the success of the song is due to the music video" that's literally the most un-true statement i've read on here but please enlighten us some more wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 11:25 AM, Roxxy said:

Love it or hate it, it still won a Grammy. It won a Teen Choice Award. It's a Global #1. It's a Billboard Pop Songs and Digital Songs #1. It's a UK #1, a Canadian #1, an Australian #1, a European Hot 100 #1, a US Top 10. It has an iconic music video. More streams on Spotify. More views on Youtube. More digital sales. And Britney's personal fave.

Break the Ice can't relate.

britney spears wink GIF

spill queen wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 11:55 AM, puppylo16 said:

The issue is not about hating the song, I think all the fans agree it’s a landmark in her career and no one can deny its masterpiece and video but it’s become the leather jacket where people lazily pick that to appear cool and edgy while being “relatable” because it’s Britney Spears. It’s so annoying to hear “omg I love Toxic! That’s like the only good song she makes” because they know it’s practically universally accepted as her “I’m cool” song. Everyone reacts differently to her other songs but everyone thinks she did that with Toxic and for me, I think it’s a slap in the face for someone who has achieved so much and who’s works are so diverse that she can’t possibly be dwindled down to just being known for that one song.

i've been a hardcore britney stan since 2008 and toxic is literally in my top 3...has nothing to do with being 'lazy' when it's become a universally-acclaimed masterpiece and pop anthem that appeals to so many demographics and has aged gracefully overtime wKySbEM.gif the general public is aware of her other music (after all, she is a pop music legend with 9 studio albums under her belt) that isn't toxic but leave it to britney stans to think that people acknowledging one of her greatest works is a slap in the face... wKySbEM.gif

On 3/10/2020 at 12:09 PM, marioh said:

Well, I don't listen to it much anymore but it is her signature song. Everyone knows and loves Toxic. And it's a great song! Toxic is the reason Britney is considered a legend worldwide. Not everybody has that. :yaknow:

period't. songs like toxic transformed and redefined her career to the next level while keeping her relevant in the music world. without it, i'm afraid the general public would have seen her merely as a bubblegum pop fad who burned out in 2002. wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, KylieLanguage said:

Lol I don't really care for Toxic. Not trying to be """""""""edgy""""""""""" just not that into the song. Probably cuz it has been overplayed, and honestly not into the sound of it :mattafact:

The video was great tho :madance:

you're literally a kylie minogue stan, your opinion doesn't count for all we care wKySbEM.gif 

On 3/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, Mantequilla said:

I stopped checking Exhale for a while, and I had forgotten about this "knee" thing, and how it makes me cringe, but then I read the title of your thread and almost had a stroke. :decisions:

ikr i hate when britney stans use "knee" tbh wKySbEM.gif

22 hours ago, fays1 said:

So basically you are saying our taste in music should be based on how high a song charts?

maybe if you read, you'd understand that's literally not what we're talking about nor did anyone ever state or thinks that, but please, enlighten us some more. wKySbEM.gif 

9 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:
On 3/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, KylieLanguage said:

Lol I don't really care for Toxic. Not trying to be """""""""edgy""""""""""" just not that into the song. Probably cuz it has been overplayed, and honestly not into the sound of it :mattafact:

The video was great tho :madance:

you're literally a kylie minogue stan, your opinion doesn't count for all we care

:sendinglove: Is that tired a|ss Christina gif the only thing you can post?

:byebitch:

Archived