By Today's Standards, Has Britney Ever Been Problematic?

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
19 minutes ago, Britneyisfire said:

There are a lot of racist posts in here. If you can't see them that says a lot about you as a person. 

You can't even tell me which posts are racists :sofedup: 

4 hours ago, danny1994 said:

Yeah that would definitely be criticized a lor today, and rightfully so. Using an illness as a synonym for stupid isn’t cool.

I mean people used the word as a synonym when she was younger so I kind of understand if she slips up sometimes, the world has changed so much in the last ten years. There are some things you could say 10 years ago that you could never say now.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, ShowdownITZ said:

I mean people used the word as a synonym when she was younger so I kind of understand if she slips up sometimes, the world has changed so much in the last ten years. There are some things you could say 10 years ago that you could never say now.

Right, that’s why I said she would be criticized today for it. I understand her using it as a kid, a lot of kids didn’t know the true meaning.

But she even used it like a couple years ago, so I can’t defend that.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, danny1994 said:

Calling gays cute is homophobic now? :calculating:

People are so offended by everything these days. But maybe she should’ve chosen her words more carefully when she called them “somewhat girls” :tiffcackle:

She didn't call us cute. She called us "somewhat girls". Which to be fair, was offensive as **** at the time, but now in hindsight I low-key see what she meant. :tiffcackle: 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, danny1994 said:

She has a way with words sometimes :tiffcackle:

"My pu$$y is hangin' out, y'all!"

1 hour ago, danny1994 said:

Right, that’s why I said she would be criticized today for it. I understand her using it as a kid, a lot of kids didn’t know the true meaning.

But she even used it like a couple years ago, so I can’t defend that.

She even used it during POM. :icant2: 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

She has done alot of crazy **** but what comes to mind is her 1999 Rolling Stone cover she did.

It was creepy and borderline pedophilic.

Can you imagine how crazy it would be if an underaged star did this now??

**** would hit the roof!

That wasn’t her being problematic though, the photographer would have been cancelled for that. Britney was a victim. 

12 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Thread revival time. :shameless:

The cultural appropriation thing is so funny to me :orangu:. Most of the times us POC don't actually care but its people getting offended for us. :truthtea:

Hide contents

And usually those same "woke white people" will be quick to call us slurs when we're not offended and tell them to chill. :queenflopga:

Wait, when did she get accused of cultural appropriation? :waitwhat: The only instance that could come to mind is when she dressed in traditional Japanese clothing for the In The Zone press conference in Japan, but she was honoring the culture that was inviting her, not mocking it or claiming it as her own.

11 hours ago, WhatTheHellWhoCares? said:

That wasn’t her being problematic though, the photographer would have been cancelled for that. Britney was a victim. 

Larry and Jamie and the Photographer all said Britney locked her bedroom door to keep everyone else out and asked the photographer to take that picture. They could very well be lying, but we all know how strong-willed Britney is. I don't think she was a victim in that situation.

• Like 1
Just now, BrittonJeanSpears said:

Wait, when did she get accused of cultural appropriation? :waitwhat: The only instance that could come to mind is when she dressed in traditional Japanese clothing for the In The Zone press conference in Japan, but she was honoring the culture that was inviting her, not mocking it or claiming it as her own.

Oh I was just talking about in general because a lot of this thread had to to do with discussion about cultural appropriation. 

16 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

Larry and Jamie and the Photographer all said Britney locked her bedroom door to keep everyone else out and asked the photographer to take that picture. They could very well be lying, but we all know how strong-willed Britney is. I don't think she was a victim in that situation.

still not problematic, just being a little slutty, a little tooty, a little frooty like we all are

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, MathCarmignani said:

why would she?? :waitwhat:

plssss not that stupid out of touch debate Jordan tried to start the other month. It was so bad he had to make a thread apologize to the fans and POC on exhale :surething:

A white women singing about being a slave in 2020 would not roll. The song doesn’t offend me but that’s what the point of this thread was about. It just wouldn’t happen these days. 

13 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Thread revival time. :shameless:

The cultural appropriation thing is so funny to me :orangu:. Most of the times us POC don't actually care but its people getting offended for us. :truthtea:

Hide contents

And usually those same "woke white people" will be quick to call us slurs when we're not offended and tell them to chill. :queenflopga:

And they’d be the first to say Beyoncé was celebrating the culture, but Britney was appropriating MAIN-Beyonce.jpg

for the record though I’m of Mexican descent and I’ve never been offended by someone celebrating culture. As long as you’re not mocking it you are good in my book. Of course my book won’t be good enough for people that get offended by everything. Just my two cents though 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

And they’d be the first to say Beyoncé was celebrating the culture, but Britney was appropriating MAIN-Beyonce.jpg

for the record though I’m of Mexican descent and I’ve never been offended by someone celebrating culture. As long as you’re not mocking it you are good in my book. Of course my book won’t be good enough for people that get offended by everything. Just my two cents though 

Haven't you learned? Everything Beyonce touches turns to gold. They should be grateful if she even wore something from their culture. :lessons: :tysm:

sarcasm of course

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

I used to think that the “slave 4u” bit would get her some flack, but the other day I saw a couple of reaction videos on youtube for her performances from POC and they didn’t even seemed to be bothered by the lyrics (homegirl got them all pressed with the live tiger and snake dancing though)

There’s one particular video calling her out for some racist skit from her first SNL, but people were quick to point in the comments the time she was livid with a racist attack against her bodyguard in Italy... so no one actually took her for racist...

Now, answering the topic’s question: she was not even that problematic back in the day. Thing is, apart from blatant misogyny that she definitely faced back in the day, Britney’s main issue was only the overexposure she had. From Chaotic on, things really escalated out of control because she had this unprecedented exposure of her every single move, which wasn’t a thing before social media.

She never presented any harm to others... I mean, she bumped a car (big deal, who hasn’t!?), stumbled with Preston in her arms (but didn’t let the kid fall nor anything) and then there’s the driving with a toddler in her lap (that I’ll say was stupid and the only dangerous episode). Aside from it, what did she do that was so “OMG!!!”worth? Truth be told, she was a overwhelmed mother of two babies, with a marriage on the rocks, that just couldn’t catch a break. Add to that the constant bullying (bad mother, bad wife, homewrecker - though this one she brought on herself - hillbilly, whitetrash, has been, out of shape, etc etc), and her distancing from her family, and there you have it: she started to act out. This was her only problem, she decided to do things on her terms, yelling a big “F... you” along the way and they set her up big time.

• Like 1