By Today's Standards, Has Britney Ever Been Problematic?

4 hours ago, Shadow. said:

most of the people who complain about the likes of "cultural appropriation" are probably 15 year old halsey fans that consider themselves political activists for complaining about the detention they got :tiffcackle: they don't have much to complain about so they complain about trivial things like the stuff mentioned in this thread. 

giphy.gif

people with lack of common knowledge and sense (not talking about anyone here specifically) like to use certain words of phrases that are pointless and have no foundation except to cause unnecessary disruption

3 hours ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

Should I stop eating chinese food, wearing native american jewelry and doing yoga ? :orangu:

:dead:

3 hours ago, Shadow. said:

all this because britney thought the outfit for me against the music looked pretty  :NYcackle:

I'm offended that 2017-Britney is trying to culturally appropriate 1999-2004-Britney and it's a mess :tiffcackle:

• Like 5

:notreally: when I see this kind of topics online, it's one of the few times I feel fortunate to have grown up in a country like Mexico. Not that I'm proud of the general lack of respect for the others, the ignorance or that we literally mock of everyone and everything, but to some extent that makes us a little bit tougher, and you just don't get offended by that kind of things.

When you live in a third world country like this, and you see or have more and bigger problems, or other kinds of abuse and discrimination that are far more tangible and harmful, the last thing you think of is bitching about something as absurd as cultural appropriation in pop culture or an adjective that is used for pejorative purposes (which we have lots of :yesokay:). Absurd from this perspective I'm talking about. I just say that it must be very tiring to watch every single word you say as a public figure to see if it's not going to offend someone, or avoid using some clothes or accessories because you're disrespecting some culture.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 9

I wont mention her bad years 2008 ( etc ) Because that was probably due to depression and even then she wasn't she just wanted to get away . 

Most " Problematic thing" I remember being a FAN since 98 is parents thinking she was to risky . Other than that no....she is a very kept to herself artist . And I like that :forkit:

• Like 2

Ok, I feel like I have to address the elephant in the thread.

Cultural appropriation is indeed a thing, but it (like many, many other things) has been grossly exaggerated by the internet and is one of many topics people latch onto without knowing what it is.

Cultural appropriation is taking the, well, culture of a group of people that is not the same as your own, and (this is the important part) NOT ACKNOWLEDGING THOSE WHO YOU TOOK INSPIRATION FROM.

Here's a post about it that I wrote a few weeks ago, while arguing with someone on another site. (Ironically enough, about how I hated Justin Timberlake for being a culture appropriating, nipple baring, **** shaming *******.)

Actually, cultural appropriation is not the "embracing of other cultures" as you so generally stated.

Cultural appropriation would be like a Scottish man wearing a dashiki, and when asked what it is or where it comes from, him playing it off as if it's the pattern of his family's kilts and such.

It is literally the theft of ideas or traditions from one culture and passing them off as your culture's without respect or acknowledgement of the original culture.

For example, despite gross ignorance among the masses, Danny and the Iron Fist show do not culturally appropriate. He acknowledges K'un-Lun is in Asia, he admits that he learned everything he knows from there courtesy of Lei Kung the Thunderer. That's literally the opposite of cultural appropriation.

A true example of cultural appropriation would be Elvis, whose entire discography was made up of songs stolen from struggling black artists in the 1950's who were the true fathers of Rock and Roll. And Elvis, through either obliviousness of the events surrounding his music, or outright malicious ignoring, never acknowledged how his record label would find songs for him to record.

Another (extreme) example would be Rachel Dolezhal, a white woman who has teased her hair and tanned her skin severely, and has been living life as a black woman for over a decade now.

So don't sit there and tell me Cultural Appropriation doesn't exist. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So yeah, there's a difference between embracing and respecting someone's culture (Britney's ITZ kimono, all of the South Asian remixes of her singles, the Bollywood segment of Circus) and outright ripping away someone's culture and passing it off as your own (Miley during the Bangerz era vs. now).

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

I have created a monster, this thread, what have I done. :divaney:

I have to say, the problem with keyboard warriors is that they focus on trivial issues, such as mansplaining, manspreading, catcalling, digital blackface etc., thus leaving actual issues in the dust because they look like lunatics and people don't want anything to do with leftists anymore even if most of them aren't represented by these so called SJWs. Issues that are actually worth talking about like ********, breastfeeding in public, actual ****, oppression in the middle east are left nowhere. :mhm:  

I've never understood the whole "mansplaining" ****. It's called "talking down to people" and literally everyone does it. WTF is manspreading and digital blackface, though?

Catcalling is definitely not a trivial issue, however. Some women are scared to leave their homes because of it.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Anita **** said:

Oops sorry!:giggleney:   

Didn't she get crap from PETA though for it?  But yeah today, she would get destroyed for it so much more

Not really a bad thing tho. Every living being should be able to live free. But all the other stuff.. people are just too sensitie!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

I remember ppl freaked out on here when she mentioned that Latino men were bad boys and her dad wouldn't approve or something.

I don't remember the interview. FF era I think? 

She needs to keep in touch with latinos then. That is actually what you assume when you are just hanging around with your own (white) people, stereotypes are annoying.

2 hours ago, I Always Sing Live said:

Manspreading is sitting on the bus with your legs wide open to leave room for your balls, digital blackface is white people using black emojis / black GIFs.

This is such a dumb concept, especially the GIF part. I understand why using black emojis can be racist but GIFs aren't like emojis. Not every GIF has a version for all races. :wtfdidusay:

By the way, if I use the Cuca emote, am I offending aligator culture? :mattafact:

And what the **** is mansplaining?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Pedro Dantas said:

This is such a dumb concept, especially the GIF part. I understand why using black emojis can be racist but GIFs aren't like emojis. Not every GIF has a version for all races. :wtfdidusay:

By the way, if I use the Cuca emote, am I offending aligator culture? :mattafact:

And what the **** is mansplaining?

Men talking over women in a condescending way. :divaney:

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
6 hours ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

Another (extreme) example would be Rachel Dolezhal, a white woman who has teased her hair and tanned her skin severely, and has been living life as a black woman for over a decade now.

So people can change their gender / ***, but not their race ? :girlwhat:  That is not cultural appropriation. 

3 hours ago, I Always Sing Live said:

digital blackface is white people using black emojis / black GIFs. 

So now we can't use black emojis ? :tiffcackle: God please come save this world it's too messy :tiffcackle:

Everything that Brit did back then were offensive and she was criticized in every move.    What more do you want? :outwithit:

The criticism was all over after VMA-s (oops, slave, kiss, GM). 

Everyone criticized her look (not only what she wear "shes to big now shes to slim" thing, etc)

And the most important thing - what she did and how she acted..

tumblr_nfms6s9d3A1tm64dco1_r1_400.gif

She was Britney Spears the role model of the young generation so the pressure was big for Britney..

She couldn't even do suicide thing in music video (Everytime). Her seductive songs and videos were blocked time to time while other artists lollipops and pops where all over the media..And there was so much more that I could write a novel about it.. There always was a time when I thought Where the **** is "Freedom of Expression in the Arts and Entertainment" for Britney?!

and every time  queens response was the coolest 

tumblr_miflm6jmyz1rfsim9o5_500.gif

• Like 3
12 hours ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

Should I stop eating chinese food, wearing native american jewelry and doing yoga ? :orangu:

Right? As an Italian I would say everyone should stop eating pizza if they're not Italian! 

But seriously though,I think cultural appropriation is when one uses other culture over a longer period of time as if they were from that culture. Like if you start talking with an Italian accent and act as if you were Italian when in fact you're not. That's at least how I understand cultural appropriation. Dunno if I'm right.

A few of these things are basically microaggressions. She's definitely done problematic things, but nothing has crossed the line for me.

Probably because she's usually pretty tasteful with her influences. As in, she does tend to incorporate elements into her music from other cultures but I never get the feeling she's exploiting anyone. She's still a pop girl. And I think she has a good heart. 

It's probably a sensible thing for her to remain quiet on issues if she doesn't have a complete understanding of them as well.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Alexanda said:

Well i am pretty sure black and white people invented things, that's what i wanted to say with my comment. But i only see black people want more and more credit for something.

I never saw asian people claim don't wear Kimonos or anything like that for example. And imo the black community should give Miley more credit, she helped Mike Will Made It to become a rich producer (isn't he black?) and it shows thst she doesn't care about skincolor, that is actually the way it should be.

The rest sounds like jealousy to me and Nicki Minaj tend to try to sell it as racism. Her rant to Taylor Swift for example.

@Pedro Dantas

OMG the white privilege in this statement is so painfully apparent!! Did you just take away a black mans credit for his own success and give it to a white girl? The black community should be thankful to a white girl for making a black man successful? Like they can't do it by themselves and need our help?!?! Honestly can't believe what I just read.