Billboard: Toxic is the best song of 2004

The addictive love that Britney Spears describes in “Toxic” could easily translate to the habit-forming song itself. “There’s no escape, I can’t wait/ I need a hit, baby, give me it”: To hear “Toxic” once is to need to hear it again — immediately.

Is it the high-pitched strings from Bloodshy & Avant? Or the venomous lyrics from the Swedish production duo alongside Cathy Dennis and Henrik Jonback? Or maybe the cheeky superspy-spoofing music video? (It’s impossible to hear this song without immediately picturing Spears in a futuristic blue flight-attendant uniform.)

Whatever it is, the In the Zone earworm infected everyone within its reach, as it topped Billboard’s Pop Airplay and Dance Club Songs charts (as well as our staff’s own Best Britney Spears Songs list). It earned Spears her first, and so far only, Grammy (for best dance recording). And even Jay-Z chose it as his favorite Britney song in a random 2013 Twitter Q&A (“jamming my G”). The song’s most enduring legacy, though, might be its whiplash-inducing range of covers, from Local H’s rocker, to The Chapin Sisters’ folk version, to Mark Ronson’s ODB-featuring hip-hop spin, to, naturally, a cappella takes from both the Pitch Perfect franchise and Glee (twice).

What all the above endorsements add up to is that “Toxic” has seemingly become Spears’ most universally beloved song, using her already-established superpowers (the unmistakable breathy vocals, her magnetic onscreen presence and flawless choreography) and adding an electronic pop sound that put a legend who could have been forever linked to the ’90s instead at the forefront of top 40’s new frontier. The results were anything but toxic, but they were still definitely lethal. – K.A.

WWW.BILLBOARD.COM

2004 songs: Staff picks for the 100 best singles.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Neydelinska Spearsi said:

It’s impossible to hear this song without immediately picturing Spears in a futuristic blue flight-attendant uniform

I remember listening to ITZ when it first came out w/o knowing what I was about to hear and hearing Toxic for the first time. I wasn't picturing the flight attendant lol but now I do 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block