This Day in 2006: Infamous Britney Spears 'Dateline' interview with Matt Lauer (June 15)

dateline.jpg.325de43be27e80357a16b93cb11d570b.jpgdateline.jpg

On June 15, 2006, NBC aired the now infamous interview of Britney Spears by Matt Lauer, who questioned the singer about her relationship with fame, paparazzi, previous relationships, and motherhood, or as Matt called it, "mommy mistakes".

tumblr_o8u8wipBrb1sj0oe0o8_400.gifv

Britney, while pregnant of her second son Jayden James, invited Matt and the crew of Dateline to her house in California for a rare chat that lasted more than 40 minutes.

In the emotional interview, Britney addresses the way the media has invaded her private life, and Matt asks her about the magazine tabloids and people that judge her actions as a mother of her baby.

InferiorDecisiveAmericanalligator-size_r

I’m very, very blessed. But my safety, my privacy, and my respect are three things that I feel like are trying to be taken away from me right now. As a mother I have to speak up and say something. I have to speak up.

59ZW.gif

• Like 1
  • Super Mods

Man this interview is SO infamous!

Besides Chaotic, this cemented the bad rep of being "white trash".

I actually saw the whole thing for the first time a few months ago on youtube and WOW it was bad!

Someone should've prevented this interview from happening but then again,

she was rebellious and not listening to anybody.

This just made things worse for her

• Like 2

I liked the interview now, she was a bad ***, sure she could've had professional hair and make up on, but I feel she purposely decided not to have it, just to show people, "you want my looking bad in candids, here I don't care"

Imo this is one of the times she regreted opening up to people, and one of the reasons she's so closed off now (yeah I don't think the cship is exclusively responsible for that)

• Like 2

Britney was making more sense in that interview than what we've seen her saying the last 10 years. I don't know why you guys say that it was bad? i get that people were on her neck and would attack her for anything she'd said at the time, but really, watch the interview, she's handling it way better than most of us could considering everything we kwow now. 

I respect britney for doing it, when she's asked about her child she says let's make this interview about what it is, the paparazzi. 15 years later we need a documentary to say it for her because she no longer can! 

all my love and respect to this woman. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Richie said:

Britney was making more sense in that interview than what we've seen her saying the last 10 years. I don't know why you guys say that it was bad? i get that people were on her neck and would attack her for anything she'd said at the time, but really, watch the interview, she's handling it way better than most of us could considering everything we kwow now. 

I respect britney for doing it, when she's asked about her child she says let's make this interview about what it is, the paparazzi. 15 years later we need a documentary to say it for her because she no longer can! 

100% agreed. It’s sad that fans always judge everything based on her looks. Like if she was dressed differently people would think this was stronger than for the record. 

if Britney’s current Instagram featured 2001 Britney people would be thinking it’s amazing 

• Love 1
  • Like 5
31 minutes ago, Richie said:

well, I don't know the others, but what I think most of us think when we say it's bad, is not because of Britney herself, but because of the way Matt Lauer approached her with those topics (kind of like the 2003 interview with Diane Sawyer) and the way it only backfired for her to the eyes of the press and the public, especially with things like when she says that she's country and that driving with babies on their laps is normal if you're from the South.

As you say, she actually handled it very well considering the topics of the interview, everything that she had been going on for years already, the fact that she was pregnant and that also may have make her more emotional or more susceptible, but the fact is that nothing that was said on that interview helped her situation about how the world perceived her, and the proof is everything that happened in the following years and the lack of compassion the world kept showing for her.

The whole thing seemed more like an attempt to expose her for "all her sins" rather than an opportunity for her to change people's minds.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Intheblue said:

Meanwhile, people want her to do an interview now or speak on the conservatorship. Every time she tried to defend herself or speak her truth it backfired and hurt her . So I don’t blame her for not giving anymore real statements about her life … this was Britney uncandid, in her house, she dressed herself, she did this … and sadly it turned into a joke … and the reason is because Britney is a country girl and not some deep intellect , so she’ll never be able to present herself the ways gays and the fan base wants her too  

and lastly the most telling part of this interview is how the media’s photos and stories got child protective services to come to her house and for doctors to treat her like a bad mother. Imagine taking your kid to the hospital and them calling child protective services on you because of some tabloid story . That’s heartbreaking 

imagine being put into a conservatorship because tabloids said you were crazy - that was basically the reason for her conservatorship: tabloid speculation.

I remember this so well - partly because I was 17 years old and it aired the night before I got a nose job so I needed something to distract me and ease my nerves :embarrassed_britney_2007_red_hide_ashamed_cover:

Watching it back then I remember being surprised at her appearance but was so heartbroken by how candid she was in pleading for the paparazzi and the vultures in the media to just leave her alone. People just called her white trash and ignored the fact that she was heavily pregnant with her second child and basically raising another baby without her husband and was just at the end of her rope. It was also so sad to hear her talk about the future and how she would make it work with her babies, whether it meant taking them on the road or easing up her career obligations, but the love she had for them really shone through, which sadly nobody really acknowledged. 

• Like 5