Stereotypical gay, bi guys in TV shows

I feel like we should talk about it. The truth is that there's too many TV shows where gay and bi guys are so feminine. And it's honestly annoying, dangerous and toxic as it puts whole community in that light.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being a guy and being a feminine, it's just people that because of this think every gay, bi guy is like this. Also nothing wrong with having characters like that in a TV show but it's not okay when it's that one stereotypical type of gays in every show.

We all know that there're gay, bi guys that are feminine but for sure there's much more guys that act, look ''straight'', ''masculine'' all the time. They just don't belong to that specific ''gay culture'' in some type of way. Because of that feminine stereotypical gay guy, it's harder for not-straight guys to come out, toxic masculinity is becoming stronger because of this. So, put more masculine gay and bi guys in your TV shows.

Btw the stereotype that in a gay relationship there have to be ''more masculine guy'' and ''more feminine guy'' is wrong and toxic as well. gay-stars-tv.jpg.7189264c3da01bf587ce70757529b96a.jpg

• Super Mods

Btw the stereotype that in a gay relationship there has to be a ''more masculine guy'' and a ''more feminine guy'' is wrong and toxic as well. 

I especially agree with this sentence. The theory that in a relationship one is exclusively bottom and the other exclusively top is ridiculous and is literally incorporated from hetero***ual relationship type (one must be on the receiving end). Honestly, its two men in a relationship, OBVIOUSLY things are not regular. 

• Love 1
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, BUWYGF said:

Btw the stereotype that in a gay relationship there has to be a ''more masculine guy'' and a ''more feminine guy'' is wrong and toxic as well. 

As a gay dude, it's ironic to think of their flawed knowledge. Like they expect all gay men to be feminine but then where are the, "strictly masculine", gay men that they keep claiming exist in all relationships at? :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

As a gay dude, it's ironic to think of their flawed knowledge. Like they expect all gay men to be feminine but then where are the, "strictly masculine", gay men that they keep claiming exist in all relationships at? :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

They are all in the romcom movies when the female lead falls for a guy but he’s gay. Lol

• Haha 3

Maybe it's because in tv shows a lesbian stereotype is also forced by being Butch and masculine, I was shocked to find out they are lesbians that are feminine and like being feminine. 

So, maybe the feminine stereotype is enforced due to counteract another forced stereotype on another orientation. 

That's my two cents.  

And it's been this way for 30 years even on shows like Road rules, the real world the only thing that Doesn't represent stereotypes is gay adult films. 

But that's it. 

I'm writing a paper about masculine and feminine dichotomies on Grindr in my Master's program right now. I am writing about how Grindr is a marketplace where White men are seen as the ones that hold the universal currency. White men are seen as masculine, and they have the upper hand in deciding the trade. 

So far, I'm writing about how Asian men are always seen as feminine, this is a construct that is embedded in society. Based on stereotypes, Asian men are grouped as wanting to be the pleaser, submissive and the bottom. No matter how much Asian men try to adjust their physical appearance to fit this mold of a masculine gay man, they are still seen as Asian and are left often ignored, or fetishized. ***ual racism is a thing in the gay community, and it's really apparent on gay dating apps.

But it is interesting to note media's representation of gay and lesbian people.

• Like 3

I haven't watched a lot of series or movies in the past decade or so lol but I thought most of those stereotypes would be gone by now? I mean, how many years since Glee happened? As flawed as that show was, it was pioneer to some extent in broadening the spectrum of LGBTQ characters, so more than a decade later, you would think newer shows would've improved that already.

Again, I don't watch TV since I was in college or so, so I'm not aware of a lot  of things. Here in Mexico, all I know is that many telenovelas have been incorporating gay couples more and more often, which is something relatively new in a country as ***ist and conservative as this, but since I don't watch any of those things, I don't know how stereotypical the characters are. 

I can only think of Riverdale from the "newish" series that I've seen, and I think the LGBTQ representation is, ok? idk 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jordeezy said:

What? Lol :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup:

You read it, conservative gays don't deserve representation cos you guys are indeed the minority of most gays, and laughed at and denied your orientation the most. 

Because you guys perfer being discreet and in the closet most of your adult life. 

Tapping your shoe in a bathroom stall as Santana would say. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
Just now, Spicechinodiva said:

You read it, conservative gays don't deserve representation cos you guys are indeed the minority of most gays, and laughed at and denied your orientation the most. 

Because you guys perfer being discreet and in the closet most of your adult life. 

I hope you find happiness, boo. 

• Love 4
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Is You Okay Youtube GIF

On 4/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, Look But Don't Touch said:

I feel like we should talk about it. The truth is that there's too many TV shows where gay and bi guys are so feminine. And it's honestly annoying, dangerous and toxic as it puts whole community in that light.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being a guy and being a feminine, it's just people that because of this think every gay, bi guy is like this. Also nothing wrong with having characters like that in a TV show but it's not okay when it's that one stereotypical type of gays in every show.

We all know that there're gay, bi guys that are feminine but for sure there's much more guys that act, look ''straight'', ''masculine'' all the time. They just don't belong to that specific ''gay culture'' in some type of way. Because of that feminine stereotypical gay guy, it's harder for not-straight guys to come out, toxic masculinity is becoming stronger because of this. So, put more masculine gay and bi guys in your TV shows.

Btw the stereotype that in a gay relationship there have to be ''more masculine guy'' and ''more feminine guy'' is wrong and toxic as well. gay-stars-tv.jpg.7189264c3da01bf587ce70757529b96a.jpg

While this was more true in the past, I feel lately in the last couple years there's been a shift away from this "stereotype". (Btw, stereotypes aren't bad or good, they are just a quick way for the brain to form an opinion on someone to make sure their not a threat, it's human instinct and nature). 

But back to the point, last couple years there has been many masculine gays portrayed in the media.

Love, Simon, Love, Victor. Shameless, many shows on Netflix that are geared towards young adult/teens - "Elite" for example.

So really, with the influx of new shows there's bound to be a change in the way a group of people are perceived.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block