This Day in Pop: 'The Onyx Hotel Tour' kicks off in 2004 (March 02)

Her second best tour :lizzie_oops_dancing_red_maguire_hillary_duff:

This anecdote will never not be iconic :sipnstare_coffee_mug_tea_sipping_spilling_red:

The members of Miike Snow, who have just embarked on their first full American and European tour, are perhaps less concerned with massive success than some of their peers. They have, after all, seen the dark side of superstardom. “We have great Britney stories,” Karlsson says suggestively. Winnberg offers a printable incident: a tour in Hamburg where he and Karlsson helped Spears elude the paparazzi by jumping into a cab and going to a peep show. “She was drinking whiskey out of an ashtray at a strip club when her show was supposed to start,” says Karlsson.

BG001~498.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

imma be a hater here and say that this tour wasn't a favorite; I think they messed up the songs with those weird mixes and I hated that she was barefoot most of the time.

the attitude was totally on point tho' she gave face, looks, attitude and style; but dancing wasn't as perfect as DWAD; say what you must but it wasn't.

it had a lot of iconic performances but as a whole i feel like it wasn't THE concert; maybe she was over it by then.

1 hour ago, nthenwkiss said:

imma be a hater here and say that this tour wasn't a favorite; I think they messed up the songs with those weird mixes and I hated that she was barefoot most of the time.

the attitude was totally on point tho' she gave face, looks, attitude and style; but dancing wasn't as perfect as DWAD; say what you must but it wasn't.

it had a lot of iconic performances but as a whole i feel like it wasn't THE concert; maybe she was over it by then.

I’m intrigued to hear a different perspective on the OHT as I love it because on reflection she was on fire and was light years ahead of the performer she is today. I also relate it to one of the last times she had any proper fire as a performer. 

Interestingly though I’ve seen a few people say that the OHT was a much cheaper looking show than DWADT and her dancing/energy was very inconsistent. I put that down to the fact that she was overworked and tired by the amount of shows she was doing. They were two different times in her life and she didn’t take the DWADT to Europe. 

It is interesting that the OHT stage is very basic with LED lighting which would have been ahead of its time for 2004 but the main focus was definitely the dancing. That’s why I think it suited the Vegas theme as I said above. Her POM residency was missing something. They should have given it a theme rather than just a random show. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

I’m intrigued to hear a different perspective on the OHT as I love it because on reflection she was on fire and was light years ahead of the performer she is today. I also relate it to one of the last times she had any proper fire as a performer. 

Interestingly though I’ve seen a few people say that the OHT was a much cheaper looking show than DWADT and her dancing/energy was very inconsistent. I put that down to the fact that she was overworked and tired by the amount of shows she was doing. They were two different times in her life and she didn’t take the DWADT to Europe. 

It is interesting that the OHT stage is very basic with LED lighting which would have been ahead of its time for 2004 but the main focus was definitely the dancing. That’s why I think it suited the Vegas theme as I said above. Her POM residency was missing something. They should have given it a theme rather than just a random show. 

I agree with most of your points here, and in no way I'm saying the OHT was not an AMAZING tour, but I personally believe that the DWADT was her peak tour in an overall score. Simply put, DWADT = 100% then maybe the OHT = 97%; but like with a lot of things britney, her biggest competition has always been herself. in a lot of aspects she set the bar extremely high, even for herself sometimes. - which is why we as a fanbase are sometimes talking about her peaks and stuff.

like every artist she has had many peaks throughout her whole career; and all in different categories and different eras: for example the best tour (performance wise / visuals) might have been the DWADT but CIRCUS (which I think is overhyped) was the best selling one / biggest / longest, etc. or like with femme fatale, it might not be considered a great album of hers, but hey it has a ****tton of #1 hits. so i guess we'll always find ourselves comparing her to her successes.

makes sense?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

OHT would have been an amazing Las Vegas residency concept. It suits the feels of Vegas but just imagine it on a much bigger scale. 

Now that you've said I actually agree with this! The whole hotel/jazzy lounge vibes definitely remind me of Vegas.

I love this tour, although it's probably my second fave, behind Dream Within a Dream.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, nthenwkiss said:

The OHT was higly criticized at the time not only for being an overly ***ual-themed concert but because her dancing was a little lower than her previous tour but I think critics just overreacted, I mean, yes her dancing wasnt the same as the DWAD tour but they made it seem like she did it waaaaaaaaay worse which is not the case. 

I do like that vibe she gave to the show, very jazzy and less fabricated as the mixes she used in her previous shows. I guess i can recall an interview where she says she wanted a Broadway kind of a show, a very intimate show. 

To be objective I (we all) must admit her best tour is definitely the DWAD but to me, the Onyx Hotel Tour is my favorite, I love that rebellious I dont give a f-u-c-k kinda ***ual attitude. :werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative::werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative::werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative::werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative::werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative:

• Like 3