Britney Spears' self-titled third studio album 'BRITNEY' was released 20 years ago today!

Roxxy

• 11 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 3:32 PM, Roxxy said:

Calendar entry by @blackoutbixxh 💛💜

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SONG ON THE ALBUM?

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN YOU FIRST HEARD THE RECORD?

Thank you again, @PokemonSpears ! :bigkiss_britney_kissing:

This has been your Super Moderator! TEEHEE 💛💜

Roxxy

However my favorite song of the album is probably INAGNYAW or Boys. 

I wish She'll Never Be Me and Tell Me Am I A Sinner were on the album though. 

On 11/5/2020 at 3:40 PM, Towelney said:

I Run Away deserved to be a single :otears_oprah_crying_tissue_napkin_tears_sobbing_sad:

Well i wish she recorded these 2 songs for the album tbh. 

and they would replace Before The Goodbye and When I Found You.  

• Love 1
On 11/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, Avatar said:

In 2004 I was working for some scam company that asked for money for the environment or some shiit and I had to walk around a neighborhood for hours going door to door asking for money. And there was a group of girls driving around blasting Overprotected in their car on repeat

music video GIF by Iggy Azalea

OMG I love your story I worked for some "Children In Need International" scam back in like 2008 did the same thing and I didn't last long because I never got anyone to sign up but I got to meet this singer Ladyhawke that I LOVED while we were panhandling on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica California so that made the experience worth it.

Also....hail Britney. The album aged better than the finest wine. I'll give it a true spin tomorrow.  I'm actually sad that I'm lacking a vivid memory of buying the album when it came out. 

Truthfully, 2001 was a crazy time and right around the premiere of 'Slave' 9/11 happened and it kind of killed the teen-pop era that had been in slow decline since the advent of Napster/internet downloads. The change in sound was shocking to my 15 year old ears that thirsted for more Max Martin shiny bops. I have to admit when I first heard 'Slave', which was early in the hours of September 9th, after having just flown back from NYC to Los Angeles on a very turbulent flight myself, I found it "weird". Britney was growing up a little faster than I was. 

From the first glimpse of "Overprotected" on MTV Diary, I knew that was my song of the era. 

My memory of seeing the DWAD Tour live is, that it was awkward. Young, closeted--like many of us in the audience at the time. And there was fear post-9/11 of large venues being attacked. There was a question of whether we were safe to go to the concert. I do recall thinking if I were going to die, seeing Britney Spears live is how I'd like to go. To add to the awkwardness, I went with a friend of a friend, rather than my best friend I had gone to my first Britney tour with. She spent the entire ride to the venue talking **** about the friend who introduced us, which truly shocked me since that friend really had only spoken adoringly of this girl. So I didn't feel comfortable with my company, or In the venue, or even in my own skin--and I feel that detracts from any experience, no matter how amazing. I was 4th row, in the section between the two stages---and a lot of the time Britney's back was to me or she was far and it was honestly a show more meant to be seen on film than in person. The Oops! Tour felt more like a concert--this was more like a PRODUCTION/SHOW. Britney didn't sing a note live at either date I went to--which at the time was a touchy subject. You hoped she would at least sing "Not A Girl" live, TBH. Nobody danced. The audience was stiff, awkward, watching, screaming. Parents lurking just out of sight, watching their kids watch the concert. I JUST remembered that I saw Lynne and some of Britney's family there back then. Hadn't thought of that in years.

The 2nd date I went to with my best friend, and I had 13th row seats from the b stage, so really a more front and center view of the whole production. I was with much better company. Britney tripped when the contraption she exits the stage from rose up after "Crazy" when she welcomes you to a world where "anything could happen". It caught her in the foot as it popped up and she literally fell all the way down to the floor and laughed at herself and got back up and carried on.

I changed high schools during the course of this album release. By the time of Crossroads' release, I was in a new high school for 2nd semester of junior year. I remember missing the premiere of "Overprotected (Darkchild Remix)" music video and being frustrated it didn't seem to be in rotation on MTV's music video blocks which actually still existed at the time.

When "Boys" came out, there were rumors it would feature Missy Elliott. I remember downloading the new version with Pharrell well before it was officially released and having his part as my outgoing voicemail message. It was somewhat of a "song of the summer" and even into fall of my senior year (when I started YET ANOTHER new High School) I heard girls in school singing it. 

I don't care for "I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman". Melodically its fine, but some of the lyrics were clunky/cheesey and as a guy it was like...how am I supposed to sing along to this and not be mercilessly mocked? And I think Max overproduced her vocals so they come off a bit too restrained. And it's a song with a shelf life from its inception. Like...how long can an artist pull off singing such a song? How long can the audience relate to it? As a teenybopper film soundtrack song it is fair but as the 2nd US single I don't think it was the right choice. And while Britney was EVERYWHERE at the time...there truly was no radio airplay. It's not a fan made up rumor, the clear channel ban was real. You NEVER heard her music on radio anymore. 

There were some mistakes in marketing IMO. They should have played up the 'artsty-fartsy' side of the album and downplayed the bubblegum hangovers. The Crossroads soundtrack and the Britney album should have been separated. Sonically, there's a difference, and why not get fans to double dip and buy TWO albums just a few months apart instead of trying to make one album carry the burden of also being a film soundtrack many months after its release? Too many eggs in one basket IMO. The Crossroads films probably should have preceded the album. "Overprotected" and "Not A Girl" (if we have to) as movie singles and then segue into the Britney era with "I'm A Slave 4 U"...I think I would have been more ready for it in that order. 

The songs off this album though, I am not kidding, they have aged remarkably well. While I do believe a lot of them are Janet/"All For You" era inspired (*cough* Anticipating, *cough* Boys, Slave, Lonely is Britney's version of "What About") Britney adds her magic to the sound and makes it speak to a younger audience. And she kind of opens the door to the artists she pays homage too IMO rather than ripping them off. I mean, Britney introduced me to Janet with her medley on her first tour. She came out the gate showing respect for the artists she draws inspiration from so its hard to find fault when you hear songs of hers and think "Hey Boys sounds like 'Son Of A Gun'/'Nasty'".

I'm rambling on but **** why not? Britney is worth rambling for. 

• Love 3

Amazing iconic album, plus "Slave 4 U" pawed the way for pop girls to go more **** and urban

I know lot of people dont like the album cover but I always loved it and Im happy they didnt go with safe portrait only.

Plus album cover and inside pics shot by Steven Klein and promotional photos by legendary Herb Ritts - I.C.O.N.I.C

Pin on Music

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block