Britney Spears' self-titled third studio album 'BRITNEY' was released 20 years ago today!

Roxxy

I was in middle school when this came out and it was everything! Fun, angsty, sassy, wistful… It was just what any 8th grade gay could ever hope for.

Shout out to all my fellow Millennials who had the privilege of growing up with Britney’s music.

britney spears GIF

Also, loved this MTV article reflecting back on this album https://www.mtv.com/news/3174789/britney-spears-self-titled-20-years/

• Love 5

Happy 20th Britney!! It's in my top three favourite Britney albums after Blackout and Glory. I love the different mixture of styles across the songs, the transition between teen pop Britney into mature adult Britney, there's so many great songs on this album. Overprotected is one of my all time fave Britney singles!

And the album artwork/photoshoot is amazing.

Edited by Isla
  • Love 3
On 11/5/2020 at 8:59 AM, Roxxy said:

britney2.jpg.167bbf7dfdb4887619a5933cdebf6b51.jpg.0d14b71e785d5cf88c6ba4dd55c1dd1f.jpgHi Exhale! :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

It's me again for a very special Roxxy Edition of This Day in Pop! 💛💜

Thank you @PokemonSpears for always considering me to do these threads!

Let's get to it?

1-Britney-Spears-03-Britney.jpg

20 years ago today, Britney COMPLETED the first ever trinity with the release of her record setting third studio album titled BRITNEY. According to her, she picked this title because "it's more me" and did she lie? :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

RELEASE HISTORY

• Japan: October 31st, 2001
  • Europe: November 5, 2001
  • United States and Canada: November 6, 2001

ALL YOU PEOPLE LOOK AT ME LIKE I'M A LITTLE GIRL, WELL, DID YOU EVER THINK IT'D BE OK FOR ME TO STEP INTO THIS WORLD?

Never has a Britney record been so bipolar. The record is a mix of sultry smexy R&B bops via lead single I'm a Slave 4 U and underrated disco pop gems like Anticipating. The album pretty much switches from smexy and sweet, and then have edgy and emotional moments. The record truly reflects BRITNEY SPEARS, Pop Princess, at her core... bad girl, good girl. :shhh_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_quiet_2008_circus::imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

The album is a transitional record for Britney. It's the first record she made where she co-wrote more than half of the album. At the time, she said that she is truly proud of this record because she had a lot more creative control than with her previous two records. We all know, B2 was just handed to her and recorded in 2 weeks and it went by that fast, she didn't have time to really pick the songs. The album also was her first record to feature an adult sound and image with the lead single and Boys.

The album's mission statement: "i'm not a girl, not yet a woman"

That's track 4 for all you basic bieches. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

FIRST FEMALE ARTIST IN SOUNDSCAN HISTORY TO HAVE HER FIRST 3 ALBUMS DEBUT AT #1

The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart with 745,750 copies sold on it's first week in the US. This also earned her the second highest debut sales for an album in 2001, behind *NSYNC's Celebrity.

The album also went to #1 in Canada, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. TASTE!

The album has accumulated sales of 10.2 million worldwide. When will your faves. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

The record also earned her two (2) Grammy Nominations in 2002

• Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for Overprotected
  • Best Pop Vocal Album

It is her last LP to be nominated for a Grammy.

In 2019, the album was first released as vinyl exclusive to Urban Outfitters, and in 2020 it got re-released by the same store in cassette format. 

Amazing!!! :kisses_britney_kiss_blow_womanizer_love_circus:2008:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block