YouTube suspends monetization on Shane Dawson's YouTube channels after he apologized for racism

I didnt even know there were degrees of ****** until just now, I'd have never watched that video and thought "******" 

You learn something new everyday though. I am foreign and not very clued up on american social culture admittedly, I should probably educate myself a bit more since we all share the same internet these days.

****** where I'm from is like that old school overtly and obviously racist visual. So thats just the image I always had of ******.

It's so frustrating because 'Cancel Culture' gets looped as one umbrella. There are times when I'm FURIOUS about someone being 'Canceled', because it's over a comment or something made a decade ago that doesn't reflect that persons character TODAY. 

But then there's these cases with *****s like Shane Dawson who've literally made a career out of being an *******. His humor has never been anything beyond childish, bullying tactics. It's disguised as "comedy", but it's SO unoriginal. EVERY OG YouTube start it seems resorted to this because in the 2000's / early 2010's, it was socially acceptable. 

Here's the thing though... quit whining about it on Twitter, and just DON'T watch it? 

People can't claim equality for all and free speech, until it's inconvenient for them. He's an *******.... and I wouldn't care if he disappeared off the internet, but I'm not about to get myself all riled up about it

First off I do not believe Shane Dawson is racist. The internet is a huge place for people without education to jump on an my trendy bandwagon. The internet is a place where a grown adult can argue with a thirteen year old who doesn’t know better. So many people do not understand the difference between racism, being prejudice, and straight up ignorance. Do you know how many people posted a black picture on blackout tuesday yet haven’t donated, researched, or actually committed to making real change in real life? Shane is an entertainer who is women and has made mistakes but this isn’t evidence of him being a racist. Maybe ignorant but I highly doubt his intentions were bad. Sometimes intent doesn’t matter when someone is so ignorant they make a major mistake but this isn’t the case either. If more people were actually educated than the internet and America wouldn’t be so divided. Leave this guy alone. I swear cancel culture was created by little preteens and then you have grown *** adults feeding into like it’s a high school game. If Shane is spewing hate and racism YouTube will “cancel” aka fire him themselves. 

• Super Mods

I think he does deserve to be cancelled for different reasons. He looks like a *****y queen behind this emotionally sensitive person that has a heart of gold. He hangs out with problematic people so he is okay with the things they do... 

the only thing I appreciated from Jeffree was that he mentioned freebritney and clearly is a stan. 

• Love 1

Chile...it’s gonna get worse before it gets better! I kinda believe both sides of the story with this whole Tati, James Vs. Shane &Jeffree. It’s so hard! Both sides have good points and some degree of fault. We should just cancel everyone and get a new set of influencers tbh! 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:02 PM, Theo04t said:

Update:

Shane Dawson had a meltdown on Instagram Live after Tati revealed some damning allegations against him and Jeffree Star. Basically, for them trying to ruin James Charles.

After he posted an apology video for "racism," YouTube suspended monetization on all three of his channels. The swift action comes after the YouTuber posted a video over the weekend apologizing for "all the racism that [he's] put on the internet." 

A video from years ago showed Dawson pretending to master**** to a then-11-year-old Willow Smith also resurfaced. 

YouTube says they can retroactively suspend an account for a creator's old content, regardless if their newer videos do not violate community guidelines.

"I'm sorry I added to the normalization of ****** or the normalization of saying the n-word," Dawson said in his most recent apology video. "Me as a white person wearing a wig and playing a character and doing stereotypes and then saying the n-word is something that I should have probably lost my career for at the time."

He also commented on the Willow Smith video. "I swear on my life, I am not somebody who would ever talk about a child that in any way was inappropriate," he said. "That is disgusting. That is gross. It is not something I would ever do. It is something I did for shock value or because I thought it was funny."

Tati's video:

Earlier:

Hi!

A quick disclamer, I am not from the US and I do not totally understand everything that happens there with racism, homophobia, etc etc., but I try my best to know everything.

Ok, so if you don't know who Shane Dawson is, he is a youtuber that has been making videos since 2005 or something like that.

One of his old videos has resurfaced, in which he makes a parody of Nicki Minaj by dressing like her and also having brown foundation on his face to look like her.

I totally understand where people are coming from with the ****** and racism allegations, BUT, here is my opinion, he has made lots of parodies, to white and black artists, and he has always tried to wear make-up and wigs to resemble them in a way or another.

If he only made a few parodies just to black artists I will totally see it as blackfacing, but he has also done that with white artists, so I don't understand the deal. Wasn't everybody posting about BLM and that we are all equal, so, if he can make a parody of a white artist by dressing like them, why can't he make a parody of a black artist in the same way? (aka. we are all equal)

If somebody can answer me calmly I would love it.
shane-dawso.jpg.d0995422a2dd09a92fb42cd4560d98e0.jpg

This is such BULL****! People make mistakes!!!! He’s not a racist! He’s an amazing creator and people are killing his art!!!! 

On 6/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, Britneyarmy8 said:

U don’t mind people painting their faces black and then proceed to make fun of black people:tired:

Oh honey, if Jordan and white Exhale (and its racist "content curators) tried to excuse police brutality during the peak of the protests and censored and gave warning points to brown and black Exhale users for calling out the obvious racism in America and, well, oh this forum... do you really think these people are gonna condemn Shane Dawson's despicable videos?

I bet they're even gonna try to excuse the horrible "Hey It's Millie" videos Shane made with the Fine Brothers from the REACT channel (if you haven't seen them, just look them up on youtube. Several accounts have reuploaded them after being deleted by the official channel) who by the way are getting cancelled because of their mistreatment of black staff and talent.

Wendy williams reaction GIF - Find on GIFER

• Like 2
  • Content Curators
On 6/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, TakeYourHand said:

. If Shane is spewing hate and racism YouTube will “cancel” aka fire him themselves. 

2 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

YouTube suspends monetization on Shane Dawson's YouTube channels after he apologized for racism. :omg:

:quirkney:

• Like 1
  • Content Curators
1 hour ago, itsqueiroz***** said:

This is such BULL****! People make mistakes!!!! He’s not a racist! He’s an amazing creator and people are killing his art!!!! 

Lmfao ur bulls**t 

then what is racism? Will someone only become a racist in ur eyes if they literally join the kkk and wear a swastika on their head? Like are u kidding me
Joking about a black kid that was killed by the cops, making **** jokes, screaming the n word numerous times, doing black face so many times, making derogatory jokes to so many minority groups, and so much more s**t

and btw he was still in his mid to late 20s doing all this stuff

a GROWN man 

there are plenty of other unproblematic people that make conspiracy theory/edgy videos if u are that desperate for it 

• Like 2
  • Leader
2 hours ago, JustWendy said:

Oh honey, if Jordan and white Exhale (and its racist "content curators) tried to excuse police brutality during the peak of the protests and censored and gave warning points to brown and black Exhale users for calling out the obvious racism in America and, well, oh this forum... do you really think these people are gonna condemn Shane Dawson's despicable videos?

Excuse me?

I'm not going to defend Shane; he's being criticised correctly but Tati is being incredibly opportunistic using this week as a time to bandwagon.

She made it clear she has a legal team, started talking about god, and then said she was an assault victim...

...and then, went on to say Shane manipulated her to badmouth James? even though all her expiriences with James Charles happened with her?

Why didn't this come out last year? When she filmed her first video and then her apology?

I do think YouTubers and Internet Celebrities are facing something no one really has and that's accountability for ignorant things they didnt think through, I mean, it's not like anyone who followed Shane at any moment in time didnt know about his videos, but I dont think Tati is as innocent as she's pretending to be. She's a grown *** woman instigating dumb dated feuds to stay relevant.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mexwero said:

Chile...it’s gonna get worse before it gets better! I kinda believe both sides of the story with this whole Tati, James Vs. Shane &Jeffree. It’s so hard! Both sides have good points and some degree of fault. We should just cancel everyone and get a new set of influencers tbh! 

can I ask you something? since English is not my first language, idk what you guys mean by sayin "Chile" in some sentences, I´ve seen a lot of comments with that word.

The thing is Chile is the country where I live (in South America if you don't know) and it caught my attention, also sounded funny to me since, I mentioned, I´ve seen more comments with that word.

5 minutes ago, Fenixxx123 said:

can I ask you something? since English is not my first language, idk what you guys mean by sayin "Chile" in some sentences, I´ve seen a lot of comments with that word.

The thing is Chile is the country where I live (in South America if you don't know) and it caught my attention, also sounded funny to me since, I mentioned, I´ve seen more comments with that word.

It's "child" but without the D.

5fd9b18f94a2869a9c2d11cd5296579c.gif

• Haha 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block