YouTube suspends monetization on Shane Dawson's YouTube channels after he apologized for racism

Update:

Shane Dawson had a meltdown on Instagram Live after Tati revealed some damning allegations against him and Jeffree Star. Basically, for them trying to ruin James Charles.

After he posted an apology video for "racism," YouTube suspended monetization on all three of his channels. The swift action comes after the YouTuber posted a video over the weekend apologizing for "all the racism that [he's] put on the internet." 

A video from years ago showed Dawson pretending to master**** to a then-11-year-old Willow Smith also resurfaced. 

YouTube says they can retroactively suspend an account for a creator's old content, regardless if their newer videos do not violate community guidelines.

"I'm sorry I added to the normalization of ****** or the normalization of saying the n-word," Dawson said in his most recent apology video. "Me as a white person wearing a wig and playing a character and doing stereotypes and then saying the n-word is something that I should have probably lost my career for at the time."

He also commented on the Willow Smith video. "I swear on my life, I am not somebody who would ever talk about a child that in any way was inappropriate," he said. "That is disgusting. That is gross. It is not something I would ever do. It is something I did for shock value or because I thought it was funny."

Tati's video:

Earlier:

Hi!

A quick disclamer, I am not from the US and I do not totally understand everything that happens there with racism, homophobia, etc etc., but I try my best to know everything.

Ok, so if you don't know who Shane Dawson is, he is a youtuber that has been making videos since 2005 or something like that.

One of his old videos has resurfaced, in which he makes a parody of Nicki Minaj by dressing like her and also having brown foundation on his face to look like her.

I totally understand where people are coming from with the ****** and racism allegations, BUT, here is my opinion, he has made lots of parodies, to white and black artists, and he has always tried to wear make-up and wigs to resemble them in a way or another.

If he only made a few parodies just to black artists I will totally see it as blackfacing, but he has also done that with white artists, so I don't understand the deal. Wasn't everybody posting about BLM and that we are all equal, so, if he can make a parody of a white artist by dressing like them, why can't he make a parody of a black artist in the same way? (aka. we are all equal)

If somebody can answer me calmly I would love it.
shane-dawso.jpg.d0995422a2dd09a92fb42cd4560d98e0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Leader
13 minutes ago, Theo04t said:

@Jordan MillerI didn't knew that about jaden, can you explain me what happened to his sister?

I was hoping one of you guys could fill me in too. I’m not super familiar with this dude. I know he’s a YouTube creator with a large following. He made some problematic content that’s been online for years. He did something with Jeffrey Star. Made a conspiracy theory series. 

I know people are going to tell me that it's not my place to be offended or not because I'm white, but I just don't see the problem. The jokes about minors, yes - those are nasty, vile and disgusting, but I don't really see the problem with everything else. I don't mind black humor. Plus, it's not like he made those videos today. Back then, it was acceptable, like it or not. And you can just tell Shane is an insecure mother f*cker who uses humor as a defense mechanism. I used to listen to every episode of his podcast back in the day. He would say outrageous **** all the freakin' time, but I always knew he was making it up for the sake of crazy jokes. :martini: I don't mind him getting cancelled, though, because I'm tired of his fakeness. :nyschool:

• Like 2
  • Content Curators

Before people come In to say “we need to cancel cancel culture” please just know

he has painted his face black MANY times in order to make fun of black people 

has said the n word so so so many times 

used offensive slurs against transgenders and other racist/xenophobic remarks against minority groups like Asians etc

has made beastiality remarks 

and so disgusting but has made pedohpillic videos like pretending to ******** to 11 year old Jada smith 

and has defended being attracted to children and said it’s the “same thing as having a foot fetish”

i don’t know about you but I find all that stuff DISGUSTING and y’all should too

• Like 5
  • Content Curators
7 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I know people are going to tell me that it's not my place to be offended or not because I'm white, but I just don't see the problem. The jokes about minors, yes - those are nasty, vile and, but I don't really see the problem with everything else. I don't mind black humor. Plus, it's not like he made those videos today. Back then, it was acceptable, like it or not. And you can just tell Shane is an insecure mother f*cker who uses humor as a defence mechanism. I used to listen to every episode of his podcast back in the day. He would say outrageous **** all the freakin' time, but I always knew he was making it up for the sake of crazy jokes. :martini: I don't mind him getting cancelled, though, because I'm tired of his fakeness. :nyschool:

U don’t mind people painting their faces black and then proceed to make fun of black people:tired:

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Before people come In to say “we need to cancel cancel culture” please just know

he has painted his face black MANY times in order to make fun of black people 

has said the n word so so so many times 

used offensive slurs against transgenders and other racist/xenophobic remarks against minority groups like Asians etc

has made beastiality remarks 

and so disgusting but has made pedohpillic videos like pretending to ******** to 11 year old Jada smith 

and has defended being attracted to children and said it’s the “same thing as having a foot fetish”

i don’t know about you but I find all that stuff DISGUSTING and y’all should too

As if racism isn’t bad enough, but beastiality, pretending to JO to an 12yo and calling it the same this as a foot fetish? :airpls:

Thats effing DISGUSTING! Almost vomit inducing tbh :disappointed:
I know who the dude is, but I’ve never liked him or his crackpot theories about Britney. His bf, Ryland Adams, has also been shady af towards her since he was on Clevver News from like 2012. Happy for this SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY to be cancelled :mhmnod:

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

U don’t mind people painting their faces black and then proceed to make fun of black people:tired:

Depends... If it's done to dress up as a black person, then I don't really care. If it's done to mock someone based on race like they used to do at those minstrel shows, then of course it's racist. I haven't seen any of his videos in a long time, though, so it's hard to judge. :idkney: The usage of the n-word and calling his black friend "monkey woman" is inexcusable, though. Surprised Shanna was okay with any of that. :nyschool:

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block