[Unpopular Opinion] Britney's 2007 VMA's Performance Is One of Her Best

34 minutes ago, vzlafan said:

#JusticeforVMA07 too? really?

I Understand all the things she went through 2007, but this make it worse, she was like trying to end with her carreer, i understand how anoying is living with papz but gurl if u live in california how could you expect another thing? and the rumors say that she talked with Justin before the performance , because her eyes was contrasted with contact glasses so you can't see her eyes, its clearly she was on BIG Drama Moment through that time.

Talked with Justin before the performance? What?

Guys, is it just me that notices she's not wearing a headset microphone, or at least not the typical headset mic that she normally uses? You can see a battery pack attached to her panties(?!) and possibly some kind of tiny mic that only reaches her cheekbone , but it looks to be hidden in her hair. 

Can someone explain this to me? Is she blatantly acknowledging that she lipsyncs most of her performances? :receipts2:

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, jossy12 said:

Guys, is it just me that notices she's not wearing a headset microphone, or at least not the typical headset mic that she normally uses? You can see a battery pack attached to her panties(?!) and possibly some kind of tiny mic that only reaches her cheekbone , but it looks to be hidden in her hair. 

Can someone explain this to me? Is she blatantly acknowledging that she lipsyncs most of her performance? :receipts2:

bftczwcr.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

In my opinion, that performance was great. I think until that year people didn't know what is a real fat person yet. Her body was ok, she gave birth to her children and that was the reason she wasn't in her best shape, but she was better than 80% of the entire population of the world including me. That was the first time I saw her with blue eyes, she was so beautiful! Her mouth was still natural. The choreography was sensational. Some people fall on the floor, she lost her balance but didn't meet the ground, just like a queen! The hair could be better, but was fine too. I wish someone could leak the full rehearsal footage with the long hair. The song was great, people are envious and like to put the pressure themselves suffer to another, and to finish: even with all the problems she had with this performance I believe she could take a good lesson with it.

britney-ponytail-gimme.gif

• Like 2

The main problem was that this was not how people were used to seeing Britney perform. She had been such an engaged and energetic performer pre-2007 that this was a shock to everyone.

The sort of lackluster strutting around the stage was new and disappointing in comparison to her very polished, energetic performances in years previous. However her lackluster strutting around is not that shocking anymore, since she still does pretty much does this now but with some armorgraphy and hair flips thrown in. 

So the energy, mix that with her overall look. I think her look is what really shocked people the most. As pathetically shallow as that is.

Again the public was used to seeing Britney with a skinny, toned physique. I personally think she looks great and very healthy weight-wise in this performance and I actually like her choice of outfit to show off her curvy figure. But we know what Hollywood were (and still are) like when it comes to female stars and their weight.

Her hair is not great. She needed a professional on that weave tbh, it looks like she picked up some extensions from Walmart on the way there - they don’t even match the top of her head where her real hair had grown back. But a simple hat would have even done the trick at hiding that.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

You can tell they literally dragged her on stage mer minutes before the show was starting. She wanted her Original Doll album to be out yet they made her rerecord that album and promote it on a show that she knew she wasn't prepared for. She did the same thing throughout the era. Maybe if they let her have her version of the Gimme More music video then maybe she would have put more effort in the era. It was the same thing with FF. Both eras feel forced and lacking Britney's effort and that's why they remain dark eras. This performance is a mess even in today's standards but she got better as the performance went on so maybe it's passable. However, it was career ruining for Britney's standards back then. A lot of OGs left although. She should be pulling Adele numbers now not Lady Gaga numbers.

2 hours ago, kleinbritney said:

The performance was exactly as requested. You just have to look at the rehearsal. The appearance at VMA 2007 was terrific.

Damn you can tell she knew this performance was going to be **** by her little laugh in the beginning. Rebelney :firega:

i've never anticipated an MTV performance more than i did with this one. It was truly hyped, and her off the rails persona was intriguing. It was exciting to follow her back then because she was so scandalous. Honestly despite not delivering like she used to britney spears im a slave 4 u GIF by 2017 MTV Video Music Awards i think it was her last great stage performance, excluding the Circus Tour which was absolutely amazing as well britney spears GIF.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, FreeLou said:

Talked with Justin before the performance? What?

Yeah it was reported by multiple sources that Justin stopped by her dressing room to say hi and wish her luck. It was later confirmed by Nikki DeLoach on the We Need to Talk About Britney podcast that Justin did in fact approach her backstage but goes on to say that Britney was out it and looked at him as if she didn’t know who he was haha

6 hours ago, dr35 said:

14765521-sh.jpg.a873b7aeb974d571ba38d37a812d1db6.jpg6RxA.gif

UNPOPULAR OPINION -- BRITNEY'S 2007 VMA PERFORMACE IS A SLAY.... DISCUSSION.

Now, I  realize I'm probably in the minority where this is concerned, but in my personal opinion, Brit's 2007 VMA opener of 'Gimme More' is an iconic slay. Hear me out.... 

There's something magical about watching prime Britney perform. In today's pop music landscape (with the exception of Lady Gaga), there really isn't much originality. Pop stars are moody, quiet and dull ------------- or overly ****** ------------------ or they're just a hip/hop / POP infusion straight out of a bottle. There's nothing 'iconic' anymore. Back in the early 2000's, watching prime Britney was something of a spectacle. Each and every performance was visually stunning. To this day, performances like 'I'm a Slave 4 U' from the 2001 VMA's,  'Oops! I  Did it Again' from the 2000 VMA's, or even '...Baby One More Time' at the 1999 VMAs are all instantly memorable. There was a sparkle in her eye, she never missed a beat, EVERYTHING was TIGHT and perfectly executed. So when 2007 Britney steps onto the stage, missing some steps, or missing that sparkle, most people instantly trashed this performance, and tossed it aside. 

In the 2008 documentary Britney: For the Record, Brit said something that has stuck with me. "Sometimes you have good performances, sometimes you have GREAT performances". I  love that Britney didn't dismiss this performance like the rest of humanity, because despite that spark not being 100% there... I  think this performance WORKS for a lot of reasons. 

1. The shy and **** introduction 

tumblr_n1ds9luwCY1qkh06wo1_500.gifv

2. Still slaying the iconic hair toss

sBq.gif

3. Grabbing a handful of that man candy.

tumblr_mpbqe5TNP01r92oeno1_500.gif

4. That breakdown...

6RxA.gif

5. The body positivity. 

source.gif

For me, this whole era for Britney was about proving a point. It was highlighting her behavior and the head-shaving.... a deconstruction of the image of perfection she'd become associated with. I'll never forget those documentary interviews in 2008... She was like Rose, from Titanic ---------- standing in a crowded room screaming, yet nobody even looked up. 

For me, Britney looked great in 2007. She wasn't a twig anymore, she was a mother. I  love the curves, I  love the grungier side of this performance, and the sparkle that I  see in her grin at that end..... I  truly believe, whether she was ready to be back in this particular moment or not, that Britney loves to perform..... and whether or not critics agree, I  SEE THAT in this performance. 

❤️❤️❤️

I admire how optimistic you are, totally. But no. This was Britney at an ok performance.

6 hours ago, Toxic.Latin said:

Actually... i like it because it's entire Britney's vision. That Elvis Presley intro has totally her idea.

And the fact that was the song Elvis performed at his comeback.. its kind iconic. Also, check the backdrop. its the same from gimme more.

Maybe it wasn't well received because expectations WERE HIGH AS ****, but queen always delivers.

Actually, this performance is way better than some new acts.

https://i.giphy.com/SKAOTYBWYVxiE.gif

I couldn’t agree more! It’s still more original and iconic that what today’s current #1 pop girls are putting out. 

On 6/3/2020 at 6:48 PM, sullivanSP said:

Katy Perry Daises lyrics:

They told me I was out there 
Tried to knock me down

(Media saying she’s too eccentric, fashion outlets making fun of her clothing and personality)

Took those sticks and stones
Showed 'em I could build a house

(took those words showed people she can create a family and be loved)

They tell me that I'm crazy
But I'll never let 'em change me

(people hate on her due to how she acts and dresses but she won’t change and conform to Hollywood’s standards)

'Til they cover me in daisies
Daisies, daisies 
(She’ll be herself till she dies)

They said I'm going nowhere
Tried to count me out

(Label and others saying her music isn’t sticking, witness flopped your done. Your career is over) 

Took those sticks and stones
Showed 'em I could build a house

(Even though they’ve said all this she’s still happy, content and gotten more that she’s ever wished for)

Katy deserves happiness not hate. She’s weird, goofy and kind. I’ll never understand why the world tore her apart. At least daisies as a song shows her fans she’s happy and content these days :kyliecry:  

katy.jpg

Ooooooo kk. 

I’m just gonna stop and respond RIGHT NOW ... because I see some serious negativity coming out due to the fact it was a bad time for her, it was planned by her team, she wasn’t ready, she cried after....... all valid points. 

BUT I WILL NOT STAND for the couple of you that have hinted I might be TROLLING with this post.

HERE’S THE THING. 

This performance might indeed be something that’s a bit of dark spot for Britney. But critics and twitter trolls making fun of it DOES NOT change my mind as a die hard fan since 1998. I was 14 years old when I fell in love with Britney, and when I was 21, struggling with coming out, and kind of an emotional wreck, THIS COMEBACK was EXACTLY what I needed. I felt For Britney when people dogged it.... but ********* on twitter don’t count in my opinion. 

MY INTENTION with this post was to point out that BRITNEY should never be embarrassed by this performance. It wasn’t her absolute best, but it was FAR from her worst.... and those other girls in 2007 still couldn’t compete with this. 

Hell, girls today still aren’t competing with this. 

Y’all can disagree that it’s a great performance, but DO NOT suggest I’m here to poke fun. I’m a cranky mid-30’s gay now, I will come for you. 😂

• Love 1

It wasn't one of her 'best' performances but it was definitely one of her most 'iconic' performances.

She was not ready, and not in a good place at that time. So it's difficult to watch.  But that being said, she still slayed more than many others on the VMA stage. :bsass:

I think it is one of her most Iconic performances and definitely her most INFAMOUS. To me it is So Iconic because the performance was life imitating art. She went out there in a very Dark and unstable state to perform a song that is about the crowd saying GIMME MORE (feels like the crowd is sayin..). At the time she was being metaphorically crucified by the media and being hounded by hundreds of paparazzi on the daily in her dark state, and the public was eating her up. So with the GM performance she literally served herself on the stage in her darkest state for all to see and literally sang “they want MOAR, well I’ll give em more.” It’s like she was saying “look what you have done to me” - your perfect pop star is no more.  It was tragically poetic, and the whole situation gave the song and performance a Dark and haunting undertone. I think the GM performance was a live spectacle of the Tragedy of a Pop star played out. Historic, ICONIC, INFAMOUS.  It’s Britney *****!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, dr35 said:

Ooooooo kk. 

I’m just gonna stop and respond RIGHT NOW ... because I see some serious negativity coming out due to the fact it was a bad time for her, it was planned by her team, she wasn’t ready, she cried after....... all valid points. 

BUT I WILL NOT STAND for the couple of you that have hinted I might be TROLLING with this post.

HERE’S THE THING. 

This performance might indeed be something that’s a bit of dark spot for Britney. But critics and twitter trolls making fun of it DOES NOT change my mind as a die hard fan since 1998. I was 14 years old when I fell in love with Britney, and when I was 21, struggling with coming out, and kind of an emotional wreck, THIS COMEBACK was EXACTLY what I needed. I felt For Britney when people dogged it.... but ********* on twitter don’t count in my opinion. 

MY INTENTION with this post was to point out that BRITNEY should never be embarrassed by this performance. It wasn’t her absolute best, but it was FAR from her worst.... and those other girls in 2007 still couldn’t compete with this. 

Hell, girls today still aren’t competing with this. 

Y’all can disagree that it’s a great performance, but DO NOT suggest I’m here to poke fun. I’m a cranky mid-30’s gay now, I will come for you. 😂

I've been a fan since 98 as well and have to disagree. There's too much romanticizing of Britney's mental state during that era and performance. She honestly should not have been on that stage at all, she wasn't ready, and considering all the backlash she got after while going through many personal struggles, I'm kind of surprised no one foresaw what could've happened. I would've cancelled it just from the rehearsal.

It's almost ironic in some ways, given the song title and lyrics from Gimme More.

• Like 2