[Unpopular Opinion] Britney's 2007 VMA's Performance Is One of Her Best

I like the points that people have brought out through this thread, especially the Elvis reference. While I believe this was not the BEST performance from Britney, there has been no other star that has memorable performances people still talk about... The whole Blackout era has been praised as Spears' best work, and it's amazing that she performed despite not being in the best mindset. The performance is iconic, I wish artists performed like this as the minimum.

Britney Spears has always been used as a rating booster, even if it's a small appearance. And to this day, the media still talks about her, despite having no new material.

• Like 2

Seriously? It was horrible and I remember being so excited that night till she came out, you could tell how lost and messed up she was. It has nothing to do with what she looked like on the outside but you could tell something was super off inside of her. Nothing good about this performance. I still can't watch it to this day, that one time was enough. Just seeing photos makes me incredibly sad.

• Love 3

The show was epic. The song says, "gimme more". She left the entire crowd, her peers,  and her family asking for more and she did not give a ****. Her heel broke she still did ok. Regardless of what could've been or should've been, she left everyone talking. Even ya'll troll fans who drag and support  at the same which makes no sense. Shes  some type of magic I swear.sparkling britney spears GIF

15 minutes ago, Alottawarmheart12 said:

The show was epic. The song says, "gimme more". She left the entire crowd, her peers,  and her family asking for more and she did not give a ****. Her heel broke she still did ok. Regardless of what could've been or should've been, she left everyone talking. Even ya'll troll fans who drag and support  at the same which makes no sense. Shes  some type of magic I swear.sparkling britney spears GIF

She left the entire crowd laughing at her... i still remember Rihanna's face when they cut to reactions. It was horrible.  It was a horrible time to be a Britney fan... and worse to be Britney. She was beautiful though.  Any time i see pictures of that night,  aside from the hair,  she looks absolutely mesmerizingly beautiful.  I love the outfit. But this night absolutely broke my heart as a fan and she never really came back,  even with her Circus tour, the Britney I fell in love with never fully returned. 

That Elvis into is SOOO iconic. The whole performance is a huge event in history. She said “**** this” on live tv, has that ever even happened before? Everything about it  sums up the whole blackout era.

That being said, in terms of skill and quality it was one of her worst :mhm:

• Love 1
8 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

You would have to be dumb, deaf and blind to think that THAT was ONE OF HER BEST performances. It was mediocre at best.

8 hours ago, Rob_ said:

I just wish this performance wasn’t so traumatic for her. You can tell this performance was the thing that made her so self conscious 

1 hour ago, JordanMiller said:

BEST?! 

:umomg:

1 hour ago, 2K16NEY said:

It was a disaster then... and now. Stop trying to make the 2007 VMA’s happen, it’s not going to happen. 

This MTV/Jive forced performance is single-handedly responsible for being a less confident performer after 2007.

You can easily see her confidence was still retained at her M&M's tour from earlier in 2007.

• Like 1

The fact that she bailed on the whole Criss Angel illusion magic act which was part of vegas at the time..

Still upsets me. That would have been iconic. criss angel dreadlocks GIF 

But the fact he revealed she couldn't dedicate two full weeks to properly rehearse the act. The results are the mess that's being praised now. 

Moonstruck Wake Up GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

She could have gave us a killer comeback.  But you guys praise mediocre from the princess of pop. The slap from cher is dedicated to you as the wake up call. 

The performance was completely misunderstood. It was absolutely identical to the samples. So you can say that the team planned it that way. It fits into the Rebellney period. Does anyone think their "Gimme More" performances were better during the FF tour? And she looked great even when she wasn't physically in top shape

ujri28t9.jpg9ra3m4no.jpgal3u2awj.jpg

One of the best? No way. Even most of her Femme Fetale Tour performances were better than that...almost anyone who I’ve seen watch it (who is not a big fan like me) thinks it’s terrible. 

But! I LOVE the choreo..I thought it was so creative and matched the song great, she just had almost no energy and wasn’t stable. And I appreciate the performance way more than the GP does because good or bad it’s still iconic and a key turning point in her career - which eventually set her up for possible the biggest pop comeback ever

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Brat said:

I’m still wondering if this was Trollney :weusay:

This!

the main reason why this performance for me is iconic!

The into and the end of the performance of hers kind of says that.

She was not going to slay and she didn’t want to. They wanted a trouble and they wanted more. So she gave it to them and laugh at them. She was at that state of mind or something. She was that rebel girl who was against the world and against her perfectness, beauty, the past her (she shaved her head because of that fgs).

She was classy bad *** :rihclap:

• Like 1

This performance is still hard to watch for me. I remember I had so much expectations from this come back, but she was clearly not ready.
I see nothing iconic nor rebellious here, just a woman in pain, who should be everywhere but on stage...

I also think this perfomance played a big part on her loss of confidence, something deeper happened this night. To me, she never performed as good as she used to after these VMA's. 

On the other hand, this same performance also contributed to make here even more likable. She wasn't anymore this soulless doll performer, for the first time she showed she's humain, she has flaws, which touched people even until today.
Seems like we forgive everything from Britney and want her to succeed. Each hair whip or single note she sings live is like a magical event. But we need  to remember that it's her job to do so. When she used to do it when she was younger, it seemed perfectly normal, and we even asked for more ;)

• Love 1

I mean, I know what you mean but...no.

For many reasons, it was a mess, but overall, her druggy eyes were the thing that put the nail on the coffin. That and as Frenchtoast said,the fact that she was a woman in pain.

I think the worst argument was that she was fat. I hate and always have hated the fact that people are held to temporary and impossible standard of beauty, yet, it's kind of an unavoidable backlash for anyone who built their career, partly on looking like a Barbie doll. It's the same issue Katy faces. Was it fair for people to hate on her for cutting her damn hair? No, yet it was unavoidable given the fact that well, she sold herself as a product based on aspiration and beauty. Fair? Hell no? Expected? Duh.

So, besides the "not skinny as a needle" Britney, she just looked out of it and people were hungry for another iconic, powerful performance.

Now, in terms of it being compared.to the trash fest that was her 2016 performance, I do prefer 2007. 2016 screamed "Jesus I am skinny as a needle. I can still be a cheap ******** y'all"

• Love 1