Lady Gaga 'Chromatica' stream + comment party

Uhm, I'll just post my ranking before I forget, 'cause I don't think I'll listen to it again in a while

1. Sine from Above :donewithit: by far "the best", though the ending was quite strange
  2. Replay
  3. Plastic Doll
  4. Enigma
  5. Vogue Babylon
  6. 1000 Doves
  7. 911
  8. Alice
  9. Rain on Me
  10. Sour Candy
  11. Stupid Love
  12. Free Woman
  13. Fun Tonight

Unlike other albums of hers, I think that most of the songs sound very very similar, so tbh she could release any other song as a single and it would be completely the same. It's not bad, just pretty forgettable. It's like, besides the songs I placed in the top 5, all of them lack of identity, they lack a strong chorus, are too short and they're all very similar and the rhythms aren't catchy or fun enough to make me wanna dance lol But it sounds good as background music at a clothing store. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3

I have listened to the album 3 times to have a better perspective on it, the reality is that it is an album that improves with each listen, it is a grower. Unfortunately, there are not many songs that stand out from the album, in fact, more than half, after the first listen, I could not help skipping them.
The album is cohesive and feels like something very fluid, but far from being an innovative sound, I enjoy it because I like  "Dance"  songs but only because of that. The songs in my opinion should last a little longer and the fact that many do not have a chorus frustrates me a lot.
"Stupid Love" was a terrible first single and having listened to the album has only helped me reaffirm that thought, one of the weakest songs in general.

Out of a total of 13 songs (without interludes) I only managed to highlight 5:

"Alice"
"Rain On Me"
"Sour Candy"
"Sine From Above" (I really did not expect a song like that with Elthon Jhon, it is a very weird song, but I like it, the instrumental and the beat is amazing and it is what fascinates me the most)
"1000 Dives"

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Uhm, I'll just post my ranking before I forget, 'cause I don't think I'll listen to it again in a while

1. Sine from Above :donewithit: by far "the best", though the ending was quite strange

Right? I just said my opinion about it, but the song really impressed me and give me chills somehow, really nice song! :makeitrain:

• Like 1

I don’t feel like I’m listening to Lady Gaga album really.

Some of the songs are okay, but it’s just not moving me. I don’t want to believe she won’t reach a new creative peak. 

Tbh, I need word with all the artists that were talking about how mind blowing her new stuff was over the last year because I’m not sure I can trust their credibility. 

Sour Candy was more unnecessary than the Arianna collab and that pains me to say. 

I don’t know, the magic just isn’t there since Artpop. 7 years for a pop album and this one just isn’t landing for me. As someone who is of the opinion Gaga has only a handful of bad songs up to Artpop, I’m upset. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

While listening to the album I can see how cool the visuals will be for her tour when she can go back out there (post covid). But there is still no strong single that really takes it next level. Iconic level. All good songs, all good dance tunes, flows well. It’s almost a little safe. I honestly don’t blame her. Once an artist passes 3 ish albums they lose that fearlessness. The Stan culture, social media, critics, judgment eventually gets to you and pulls you down. I think this album does service her core Stan base more than the overall pop landscape. 7/10

• Super Mods

I don’t think it’s a masterpiece but I enjoyed it. It doesn’t look like her heart was totally in it and it shows. The production is disappointing and lacks creativity. I like that it it’s cohesive and the interludes really adds a nice flair especially the amazing transition to 911 (the highlight of the album to me) and I expected more bangers like that. I’m disappointed with Babylon turning into Vogue, do they have to make the reference so obvious? 

The album is fun and I definitely enjoy this better than her previous album, it’s just okay. The biggest weakness is the production which what brought the album down as it had potential and a great concept. I hope she takes a break and use Haus Labs as a way to bring income while being away. It’s just she hasn’t really impressed me in a while but I’m glad she’s returning to pop and this is definitely old Gaga but not quite there. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

2. Replay
  3. Plastic Doll
  4. Enigma
  5. Vogue Babylon
  6. 1000 Doves
  7. 911
  8. Alice
  9. Rain on Me
  10. Sour Candy
  11. Stupid Love
  12. Free Woman
  13. Fun Tonight

Unlike other albums of hers, I think that most of the songs sound very very similar, so tbh she could release any other song as a single and it would be completely the same. It's not bad, just pretty forgettable. It's like, besides the songs I placed in the top 5, all of them lack of identity, they lack a strong chorus, are too short and they're all very similar and the rhythms aren't catchy or fun enough to make me wanna dance lol But it sounds good as background music at a clothing store. 

Awe cute list. I love the little drum and bass instrumental they put at the end!! 

7 hours ago, Isla said:

Has anyone heard Love Me Right? I LOVE this track! Quite 80s sounding, it’s a shame it was left off the standard edition.

I really like it as well. I can tell why it wasn’t on the standard version as I don’t think it fits the theme but a solid song either way. 

• Like 1

Is anyone else over this album already? My friend and I listened to it last night. There are some decent songs on it but overall we agreed it sounds dated (in a bad way) and just kinda blah. Like it's fine... nothing special. Sounds like she's ripped off other artists. Gaga hasn't put out good music in over a decade.

So this is my first post here....its lurked here for years but generally posted on breatheheavy and its predecessors.  I do not get some of the haters on this! I adore this album.  May be my second or third favorite from her.  If I had to rank the songs?

Plastic Doll

Alice

Enigma

Rain on Me

Babylon

Sour Candy

Replay

1000 Doves

Fun Tonight

Stupid Love

Sine From Above

Free Woman

This ranking was very very hard.  I pretty much love every song.  The only song I dont LOVE is Free Woman.  That much I know.  I also know that 911 is number 1.

911 Shook me and continues to shake me.  I adore it.  The verses! OMG they give me life.  I need more verses.  I could listen to them over and over again for infinity. 

I feel pretty good about top 4.  The rest of the songs can and will juggle and change with each other overtime.  Any could replace the others.  This is a decade defining album for me. I adore it. If i ranked her albums I would say:

Artpop

Chromatica

Born This Way

The Fame Monster

The Fame

Joanne

• Love 1

Its interesting reading reviews here, because for the most part, I completely disagree with the majority of them. 

For me, Chromatica does something that Gaga has been failing to successfully do since Artpop; Give Pop Music depth. From the moment Alice started, it had me hooked; I think lyrically, this is her strongest and most painfully honest album about her struggles and coping. I feel like she really opened herself up with this album and it didn't require a Piano ballad, or acoustic guitar to ''act'' personal. The throwback sound works so well. 

The only thing I think is missing is visuals and performances; Lady Gaga is an all round artist; the music is as important as the visual. There's no denying ROM delivered and the album art and vertical videos have a clear direction; Its a Matrix Meets Final Fantasy Vibe. Moving forward, I wanna see where she takes it visually. 

Songs like 911, and Replay are the first time her she's really wrote about her mental health and how she feels, truth be told, I don't think any other artist has been as blunt as she is. The songs are incredibly enticing but when you focus on the lyrics, they're bittersweet! 

The interludes help add drama to the album and really flow well in my opinion, and they transition effortlessly.  

For me, the standout tracks are Alice, and Sine From Above; The latter being the strongest on the album and genuinely gives me chills (and the drum and bass outro?! Its the Elton John collab we needed). 911, Babylon, Replay and Sour Candy are fabulous additions to her discography. Enigma, Plastic Doll, and Fun Tonight are growers, but are also, tracks that seem to be stand outs for the GP. The only track that I see as filler is 1000 Doves, but interestingly enough, the piano work tape almost corrects it.

The single choices were incredibly smart too; Stupid Love is an infectious and bright piece of pop, but when compared to the rest of the album feels slightly out of place! As a single, it had its chance to prove itself; and it worked. Rain on Me is similar; but the video really brought it up another level.

Look, in the end, if you do not like Lady Gaga, or only appreciated her 2016 efforts and the ASIB Album, you won't enjoy this album. Its an acquired taste; either for Night clubs, or Lady Gaga's longest fans. This isn't' necessarily an album for you, the listener, its an album about Gaga, the artist. Its the deeply personal effort she tried with Joanne, while being a more mature attempt to readdress her intentions with ARTPOP.

Will the novelty last long? Who knows! We could say that about any album; but until them, i will listen to the album on cycle and seriously contemplate buying tickets to see her live show. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

I From the moment Alice started, it had me hooked; I think lyrically, this is her strongest and most painfully honest album about her struggles and coping. I feel like she really opened herself up with this album and it didn't require a Piano ballad, or acoustic guitar to ''act'' personal. The throwback sound works so well. 

This! I love the lyrical content of this album.  I like that strong dancefloor pop can still be sad and lyrically meaningful.  You can have a strong beat and still cry your eyes out.  This is the strongest part of the album.  Other than the entirety of 911.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Curt said:

This! I love the lyrical content of this album.  I like that strong dancefloor pop can still be sad and lyrically meaningful.  You can have a strong beat and still cry your eyes out.  This is the strongest part of the album.  Other than the entirety of 911.

I kinda mentioned it at the end of my post; This album is very much about her; her coping mechanisms and expiriences, rather than a BTW empowering of the listener, and its really the first time she's sang about her own mental health and its gritty and visceral, and incredibly honest; she easily could've went with the ''sometimes I feel sad! and then I feel glad!'' route a lot of others do, but she went for ''Every single day, I dig myself a grave, I put myself inside until I behave'' and 'sick and tired of waking up; screaming at the top of my lungs, think I just left myself behind!''. Even, Babylon and Enigma's lyrics are ridiculous in their setting of the scene and it works!

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block